Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2019 at 21:14 Quote
rynee wrote:
GatDog wrote:
Sweet! Yes I think I saw those in the chromag behind brand article on nsmb. Cheers!

Hey thanks for mentioning that article - I'd missed it and it's a great read!

no need to thank me - I really enjoyed the article as well. Chromag seem to be a bunch of really decent folks. when (not if Smile ) i ever make it to whistler again, i'll make sure to drop by. chances are that i wont leave empty handed Big Grin [/Quote]

Yeah, they’re good people. I’ve ridden and hung with them quite a bit. Definitely don’t be a stranger when you cruise through Whistler

Posted: Dec 20, 2019 at 5:50 Quote
[Quote="KennyWatson"]
Braston wrote:
Decided to try something new with my Rootdown for winter. Singletrack shakedown this Saturday but first impressions around the neighborhood are good...

Switched forks from my full sus, extended to 160mm. 27.5+ Spank Oozy and 27.5 x 3.0 45nrth Wrathchild tires with studs.

Dude that is sick. What's clearance like in the rear? Did you need to dish the wheel to the non-drive side at all?

Thanks!

I actually didn't have to do much of anything, just plug and play on the wheelset. Those tires are labelled "3.0" but look more 2.7-2.8 to me. Looks like enough clearance and I didn't notice anything on an urban ride this morning. Drive side def has less clearance though.

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 6:44 Quote
Holy crap this thing is fun in the snow! Faster than a fat bike (duh!) and way more control than expected with the studded "3.0" tires. Obviously not a lot of float so had to stick to packed trails but that's what most people only ride with a fat bike anyways! The only issue is with the dropper post working intermittently due to the cold; I might look into replacing it with a mechanical one since I'm not a huge fan of the Highline anyways.

photo
photo
photo

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 18:17 Quote
That is sick !, I really need to get some studded tires on one of my HT's we have so much ice these days..... have you had a chance to test them on rock face stuff, Just wonder how they transition from ice/ snow to rock and such.

Posted: Jan 3, 2020 at 18:41 Quote
Hey guys,

I'm building a Rootdown and the last missing piece is the frame. I'm 6' mostly legs and I can't choose between L and ML.

Here is a link for the 2020 geos:

https://i.shgcdn.com/b6f4f152-1dd1-4c38-8d85-3d112ff21dd8/-/format/auto/-/preview/3000x3000/-/quality/lighter/

They are becoming pretty long and I will be riding the east coast so a lot of roots, tech twisty climbs with agressive downhill too.

This will be my only do it all bike and I don't want to feel like I'm driving a limo. Coming from a L Trance Advanced 0 2018 that felt on the small side.

What size would you go with?

Posted: Jan 3, 2020 at 19:18 Quote
Quifouett wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm building a Rootdown and the last missing piece is the frame. I'm 6' mostly legs and I can't choose between L and ML.

https://i.shgcdn.com/b6f4f152-1dd1-4c38-8d85-3d112ff21dd8/-/format/auto/-/preview/3000x3000/-/quality/lighter/

They are becoming pretty long and I will be riding the east coast so a lot of roots, tech twisty climbs with agressive downhill too.

This will be my only do it all bike and I don't want to feel like I'm driving a limo. Coming from a L Trance Advanced 0 2018 that felt on the small side.

I’m 6 feet even and have owned a 2017 Surface M\L and L, and 2018 Rootdowns in both M/L and L. I find they both fit but Excelled at different things.. the larges are long bikes with big wheelbases so really stable at speed and great for descending steep technical trails. On the flip side the M/L felt more in line with most large bikes I have owned including a large Trance Advanced (cockpit wise.. wheelbase still longer on the M/L Rootdown).

The M/L excelled more in undulating terrain with lots of changes in direction and body English needed to lift the front end over objects. All in all if I had to choose I would go M/L but I don’t live in a really mountainous area that would provide enough fast downhills to allow for the longer L frame to work it’s magic.

Everyone is different though so getting on a L or M/L local before buying would be the best bet.

Posted: Jan 3, 2020 at 20:19 Quote
r-a-w wrote:
Quifouett wrote:
Hey guys,

I’m 6 feet even and have owned a 2017 Surface M\L and L, and 2018 Rootdowns in both M/L and L. I find they both fit but Excelled at different things.. the larges are long bikes with big wheelbases so really stable at speed and great for descending steep technical trails. On the flip side the M/L felt more in line with most large bikes I have owned including a large Trance Advanced (cockpit wise.. wheelbase still longer on the M/L Rootdown).

The M/L excelled more in undulating terrain with lots of changes in direction and body English needed to lift the front end over objects. All in all if I had to choose I would go M/L but I don’t live in a really mountainous area that would provide enough fast downhills to allow for the longer L frame to work it’s magic.

Everyone is different though so getting on a L or M/L local before buying would be the best bet.

For climbing did you prefer the ML? Or you felt like the front wanted to lift or something?

Posted: Jan 3, 2020 at 21:25 Quote
Im the same size and went with the M/L and feel like its better in the plateful way. DH bruiser, Jumping is great, tight switchbacks no problem and I dont notice wheel lift climbing technical stuff. Super fun bike all around.

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2020 at 9:42 Quote
Quifouett wrote:
Hey guys,

I’m 6’ riding a 2019 Large Rootdown with a 150mm Pike and a 35mm stem. I really like how long and slack it is. I’m riding trails in the Rocky Mountains. It’s pretty much great for everything. My other trail bike is a Large Hightower for reference.

photo
photo

Posted: Jan 4, 2020 at 10:12 Quote
thanks!

2020 top tube and reach are about 12mm longer. Do you think it would bother you? Do you feel you are on the limit with yours already?

I like the roomier geo of the large but I like climbing tech twisty slow speed stuff and I just don't want the large to take the fun out of it.

Posted: Jan 4, 2020 at 10:35 Quote
Oh yes and I suppose for reference 160 fork and a 50 mm stem here.

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2020 at 13:49 Quote
Quifouett wrote:
thanks!

2020 top tube and reach are about 12mm longer. Do you think it would bother you? Do you feel you are on the limit with yours already?

I like the roomier geo of the large but I like climbing tech twisty slow speed stuff and I just don't want the large to take the fun out of it.

I don't think I would notice 12mm with my current set up. But I have always leaned towards more room on a bike frame then under size myself and feel cramped.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014226
Mobile Version of Website