Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 22:38 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Pandalosi0 wrote:
Signed up for Cascadia Dirt Cup and racing the Open Hardtail category with my Rootdown. So stoked can't wait

Rad. I have been considering this... but for the love of legs they sound like a day of wreckoning!

Yeah it'll be rowdy for sure. I usually ride my Rootdown like I'm on my Wreckoning. Typically remember I'm on a HT when it's a bit too late haha. You should try and register for the Bellingham round!

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 22:43 Quote
I like the rowdy downs but those boys put in a lot of climbing.... I probably will do one. I kinda committed to 3 races this year for a buddies team he’s doing for fun. Pretty far out of my comfort zone as I have never done an organized race of any type. Oh except BMX when I was a young kid.... Was just going to hit 3 NW cups but mixing it up would be cool too. I can feel the charlie horses now

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 9:52 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I like the rowdy downs but those boys put in a lot of climbing.... I probably will do one. I kinda committed to 3 races this year for a buddies team he’s doing for fun. Pretty far out of my comfort zone as I have never done an organized race of any type. Oh except BMX when I was a young kid.... Was just going to hit 3 NW cups but mixing it up would be cool too. I can feel the charlie horses now
A few years ago I did an enduro on my xc hardtail before I owned an all mountain ht and was able to place 1st in the 50+ geezer class against 7 other guys on full squishers, as there were no other hard tails at this event ,so the older you get the easier it is to do good as long as it isn't in open class.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 11:06 Quote
slaker wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
A few years ago I did an enduro on my xc hardtail before I owned an all mountain ht and was able to place 1st in the 50+ geezer class against 7 other guys on full squishers, as there were no other hard tails at this event ,so the older you get the easier it is to do good as long as it isn't in open class.

Says the monster mtb rider Wink

Actually thats why I built up the SS unit. I need to get after the gnar climb game. Over the last few years with these super wide gear ratios I find myself slipping it into granny gear even if I dont really need to. Yesterday I zoomed up a climb on the ss that I was convinced Id be walking most of. I think its mostly mental but also strength is definitely building.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 15:34 Quote
Waiting on the 2020 Rootdowns to arrive. I have one on order that I plan on building up in 27.5 form. It will be my first time on plus tires. Should be interesting.

In the meantime, I took my Surface out for an extended XC jaunt. I love how flexible this bike is.

Honeybee 2020
Honeybee 2020

Honeybee 2020
Honeybee 2020

Honeybee 2020
Honeybee 2020

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 20:23 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
slaker wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Says the monster mtb rider Wink

Actually thats why I built up the SS unit. I need to get after the gnar climb game. Over the last few years with these super wide gear ratios I find myself slipping it into granny gear even if I dont really need to. Yesterday I zoomed up a climb on the ss that I was convinced Id be walking most of. I think its mostly mental but also strength is definitely building.
Ha, seems like when I went from ss to gears, I got weaker for sure, then from 10 speed to 11 to 12 even weaker... That green on that Surface is killer^^

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 5:44 Quote
Ranger242 wrote:
Waiting on the 2020 Rootdowns to arrive. I have one on order that I plan on building up in 27.5 form. It will be my first time on plus tires. Should be interesting.

Same here. I am in love with the new Indigo blue, and can't wait to get it ordered... Almost new bike day.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 6:06 Quote
BSheldon wrote:
Same here. I am in love with the new Indigo blue, and can't wait to get it ordered... Almost new bike day.

I went indigo blue as well. The most current update that I have heard is mid-February.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 9:55 Quote
Ranger242 wrote:
BSheldon wrote:

I went indigo blue as well. The most current update that I have heard is mid-February.

Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear back from LostCo and Chromag direct about price quotes, and based on that I'll decide who I'm buying it from. Definitely happening one way or another.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
BSheldon wrote:
Ranger242 wrote:
BSheldon wrote:

Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear back from LostCo and Chromag direct about price quotes, and based on that I'll decide who I'm buying it from. Definitely happening one way or another.

I bought my Rootdown from LostCo. Jason was super helpful and quick to respond. Got a GX build with a few mods working pretty quickly

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 12:54 Quote
Pandalosi0 wrote:
BSheldon wrote:
Ranger242 wrote:

I bought my Rootdown from LostCo. Jason was super helpful and quick to respond. Got a GX build with a few mods working pretty quickly

I’m just purchasing the frame. Cost was the same from both Chromag and the Lost Co. I went with the Lost Co for the free shipping.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 13:02 Quote
Ranger242 wrote:
Pandalosi0 wrote:
BSheldon wrote:

I’m just purchasing the frame. Cost was the same from both Chromag and the Lost Co. I went with the Lost Co for the free shipping.

Nice. Stoked for ya!

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 20:07 Quote
Lost Co boys are good fellows.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 14:12 Quote
Surface or Rootdown, 1st world problems I face everyday. Shameless plug, 1 or both need to be sold for someThIng fresh--check my profile and priced to go!

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 21:05 Quote
I want to dress up my Rootdown in some nice new shoes. What's a rad wheelset y'all are running/want to run?

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007178
Mobile Version of Website