Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 2:50 Quote
ronufoh wrote:
I've had a Primer and currently a Surface both in mediums. The Primer I found was really good going down, ok at going up for me but not overly enjoyable. The Surface is almost as good going down, but feels more nimble overall and the slightly longer chainstay length makes the bike better to climb for me.

I also have a M/L Rootdown BA right now to experiment with geometry, knowing what a M Primer felt like. The extra front center length is definitely noticeable, the bike does not feel too long when I'm riding, but what I do notice is the extra stability going down. In exchange I found it is even less nimble than the M Primer was.

If I had to choose Rootdown or Surface, I feel for me the Surface is probably more versatile. Its unfortunate they don't offer an overseas built version (that isn't titanium).

The 2020 Surface with the extra degree slacker HA has almost my ideal geometry, I could deal with an even slightly longer chainstay. But $$

^ this exactly.. that was a more accurate way of explaining what I experienced with the Rootdown and Surface. Also with respect to sizing.. I have owned ML and Larges in both.. large great for charging down steep rough terrain.. ML felt more nimble and excelled in twisty single track.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 7:56 Quote
I couldn't agree more... Having had a Rootdown, Primer, Surface and Arcturian the bike that stands out for me is still the Surface. It is capable everywhere. Climbs really well and handles everything I am able to throw at it. I have the Ti version and that adds to my appreciation of the bike but it is absolutely fantastic. A true one bike to do it all (until my back gets sore because I am old and need a day on the full squish). Yes the Rootdown/Primer is one degree slacker but that is more than made up for in rider ability and I actually find the Surface more comfortable on long days, again the Ti may play a role in that. Ultimately all of these bikes are super versatile hard tails that are just a ton of fun to ride. For me its the Surface, best bike I have owned and my bank account tells me I have owned a few.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 11:47 Quote
SC38 wrote:
I couldn't agree more... Having had a Rootdown, Primer, Surface and Arcturian the bike that stands out for me is still the Surface. It is capable everywhere. Climbs really well and handles everything I am able to throw at it. I have the Ti version and that adds to my appreciation of the bike but it is absolutely fantastic. A true one bike to do it all (until my back gets sore because I am old and need a day on the full squish). Yes the Rootdown/Primer is one degree slacker but that is more than made up for in rider ability and I actually find the Surface more comfortable on long days, again the Ti may play a role in that. Ultimately all of these bikes are super versatile hard tails that are just a ton of fun to ride. For me its the Surface, best bike I have owned and my bank account tells me I have owned a few.

Are you sponsored by Chromag or just mildly obsessed? Smile

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 13:41 Quote
mildly obsessed. a sponsorship would save me a ton of money. hahah.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 14:26 Quote
SC38 wrote:
mildly obsessed. a sponsorship would save me a ton of money. hahah.
There are worse things to be obsessed with.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 19:06 Quote
r-a-w wrote:
ronufoh wrote:
I've had a Primer and currently a Surface both in mediums. The Primer I found was really good going down, ok at going up for me but not overly enjoyable. The Surface is almost as good going down, but feels more nimble overall and the slightly longer chainstay length makes the bike better to climb for me.

I also have a M/L Rootdown BA right now to experiment with geometry, knowing what a M Primer felt like. The extra front center length is definitely noticeable, the bike does not feel too long when I'm riding, but what I do notice is the extra stability going down. In exchange I found it is even less nimble than the M Primer was.

If I had to choose Rootdown or Surface, I feel for me the Surface is probably more versatile. Its unfortunate they don't offer an overseas built version (that isn't titanium).

The 2020 Surface with the extra degree slacker HA has almost my ideal geometry, I could deal with an even slightly longer chainstay. But $$

^ this exactly.. that was a more accurate way of explaining what I experienced with the Rootdown and Surface. Also with respect to sizing.. I have owned ML and Larges in both.. large great for charging down steep rough terrain.. ML felt more nimble and excelled in twisty single track.

Thanks for all of the feedback! I think this year the budget only allows for the Rootdown but maybe one of these years I can do a Surface dream build Big Grin

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 7:30 Quote
rtervo wrote:
r-a-w wrote:
ronufoh wrote:

Thanks for all of the feedback! I think this year the budget only allows for the Rootdown but maybe one of these years I can do a Surface dream build Big Grin

Don’t worry, the Primer/Rootdown Geometry is way more fun. I’ve owned a Surface, primer(Rootdown geo) and now the doctahawk. You’ll have more fun on the Rootdown than the Surface. No matter what the terrain

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 9:04 Quote
playdead wrote:
rtervo wrote:
r-a-w wrote:

Don’t worry, the Primer/Rootdown Geometry is way more fun. I’ve owned a Surface, primer(Rootdown geo) and now the doctahawk. You’ll have more fun on the Rootdown than the Surface. No matter what the terrain

Play dead, looks like you have owned pretty much the whole line up! I see a sold 2015 Surface in your profile.. is that the Surface you’re comparing with, or a 2017 forward with slacker HTA, longer reach and steeper STA?

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 9:05 Quote
How about this. All Chromag hardtails are awesome. Enjoy!!

Posted: Jan 23, 2020 at 13:39 Quote
r-a-w wrote:
playdead wrote:
rtervo wrote:

Play dead, looks like you have owned pretty much the whole line up! I see a sold 2015 Surface in your profile.. is that the Surface you’re comparing with, or a 2017 forward with slacker HTA, longer reach and steeper STA?

My girlfriend has the 2018 Surface, currently. I’ve ridden it a bunch. Good to see you’re doing your research Wink

I hear ya, longer stays and steeper HT angle is always better for flatter riding, but a slacker bike with shorter stays is just more fun! Even on flatter trails.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is you’re buying a chromag. You’re guaranteed it’ll be a ripper of a bike. No matter what frame you get. Even their “less” aggressive bike is still more aggressive than your average hardtail out there.

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 6:36 Quote
playdead wrote:
r-a-w wrote:
playdead wrote:

My girlfriend has the 2018 Surface, currently. I’ve ridden it a bunch. Good to see you’re doing your research Wink

I hear ya, longer stays and steeper HT angle is always better for flatter riding, but a slacker bike with shorter stays is just more fun! Even on flatter trails.

At the end of the day, the most important thing is you’re buying a chromag. You’re guaranteed it’ll be a ripper of a bike. No matter what frame you get. Even their “less” aggressive bike is still more aggressive than your average hardtail out there.

I'm excited, it's been a while since I've had a bike with fun geometry Smile

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 8:03 Quote
rtervo wrote:
I'm excited, it's been a while since I've had a bike with fun geometry Smile

If you need a medium, check this one out https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2670392/ (shameless plug to myself) ; I guarantee you won't find anything remotely similar for the price

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 8:05 Quote
while we are at the shameless plug stage I do have a Large Surface Ti frame only available. I went up to an XL in size.

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 8:10 Quote
SC38 wrote:
while we are at the shameless plug stage I do have a Large Surface Ti frame only available. I went up to an XL in size.
price ? I’m waiting for the Ti Root. BOOM!

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 8:12 Quote
You can check out my post on buy and sell... I am open to offers though. I have already got the XL frame so a little motivated. The Ti Root will be a nice option... months away yet but I hear its coming.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005597
Mobile Version of Website