Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 23:26 Quote
Chop the fingers off a hand if caught stealing anything of value, if caught a second time, do the same with the other hand. Bet that cuts down on friggen thieves.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 5:23 Quote
r-a-w wrote:
SC38 wrote:
No!!!!

I can only hope that the lacklustre grip on that front Rekon gives out on a wet root and sends the crack head riding my bike into a horrendous crash lol

They really are terrible.

Sorry for your loss

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 8:41 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Sounds like Seattle too. Homeless open air bike chop shops
That's why all of my bikes stay locked up in my garage.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 10:18 Quote
Any opinions on running a 2018 Rootdown with a 150mm fork that has a 42mm offset? The bike will have 27.5 x 2.8 wheels on it.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 10:24 Quote
[Quote="Cmzmyers"]
r-a-w wrote:
jph406 wrote:

Thanks! I thought 825mm would be pushing it for trail riding, but now I can’t go narrower lol.

Sorry about the bike theft man. I just had my 95 Cherokee XJ stolen but it was recovered with minimal damage...also probation and free to steal again.

I have the same bike as you. Currently building it up. I have the OneUp dropper too but I need to buy a shim kit as the large frame and the dropper is slightly too small for me... hopefully didn't buy the wrong size frame! Did you have to trim your seatpost down at all? I'm hoping not too but have seen a few guys doing it. But I think with the adjustable dropper I should be fine.

Did you like the 27.5's on it? My FS is Process 111 29er so hopefully I will be ok going between bikes with the 27.5. I currently have my 29's mounted in the Rootdown and it feels huge! My Process has way more standover though.

Is that 27.5+ or 29?

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 10:37 Quote
Cmzmyers wrote:
Any opinions on running a 2018 Rootdown with a 150mm fork that has a 42mm offset? The bike will have 27.5 x 2.8 wheels on it.

I had the exact setup except for 51 offset...found that the bb was too low even with 170mm cranks and was clipping pedals on steep low speed technical climbs. I also found a 27.5x2.8 front tire to be a big vague feeling on the downhill turns. Changing to a front 29x2.3-2.5 cured both of these issues. The front 27.5x2.8 offered no more grip and traction for me vs. 29x2.35

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 11:46 Quote
ronufoh wrote:
Cmzmyers wrote:

I had the exact setup except for 51 offset...found that the bb was too low even with 170mm cranks and was clipping pedals on steep low speed technical climbs. I also found a 27.5x2.8 front tire to be a big vague feeling on the downhill turns. Changing to a front 29x2.3-2.5 cured both of these issues. The front 27.5x2.8 offered no more grip and traction for me vs. 29x2.35

I agree. I went from 2.8 minions to almost plus 2.6 Dampfs and the pep was noticeable, while the lack of grip not at all. I don't really get plus unless stuff is super lumpy or maybe as a winter bike for trails that don't get tonnes of snow. 2.35 Muddy Mary on the front has grip for days but rolls like an XC tire compared to 2.8. I can't help but think that part of the problem with plus is that there comes a point where the rims are so wide that you lose the precision in steering as you're turning more on the outside of the centreline of the wheel, it's almost like a ski up there as opposed to a blade, if that makes any sense. I really don't like the feel of fat bikes either, but they have their place when the conditions are right.

Really want to mullet-tize my hardtail.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 18:16 Quote
There are a ton of people here in El Paso who run 27.5+ and they all swear it's necessary - it isn't. I think especially for a HT, that 29x2.4-2.6" is the happy spot.

I was torn on my new bike for quite some time (bought into the plus hype admittedly, had ridden a few, really enjoyed them) then recently rode a 29x2.5" setup to see for myself and I have to say - It really is that elusive sweet spot they claim it to be if you'll forgive that salesman statement. No losses of traction from less width/volume, increased rolling speed overall, and 29s in general eat up all the chunky stuff we have here.

Basically - I'm sold.

Posted: Jan 27, 2020 at 22:10 Quote
BSheldon wrote:
There are a ton of people here in El Paso who run 27.5+ and they all swear it's necessary - it isn't. I think especially for a HT, that 29x2.4-2.6" is the happy spot.

I was torn on my new bike for quite some time (bought into the plus hype admittedly, had ridden a few, really enjoyed them) then recently rode a 29x2.5" setup to see for myself and I have to say - It really is that elusive sweet spot they claim it to be if you'll forgive that salesman statement. No losses of traction from less width/volume, increased rolling speed overall, and 29s in general eat up all the chunky stuff we have here.

Basically - I'm sold.
I agree. I have 2.4s on both ends and they have some serious volume. Considering neither are Maxxis I'd say they are true 2.4s. I have ridden my gf's Norco with 2.8s and I hated it. It muted EVERYTHING on the trail. I want to feel the trail as well as have some semblance of a challenge.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 9:26 Quote
The release on the 2020 Rootdowns keeps getting pushed back and now it's into Feb... I'm getting anxious to start building this thing. Narrowed down some components though. The owner of the shop I'm buying the bike from is selling is Ribbon air for a good price, so I'm gonna go with that. Anyone else here patiently waiting on those 2020s?

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 14:14 Quote
piman wrote:
The release on the 2020 Rootdowns keeps getting pushed back and now it's into Feb... I'm getting anxious to start building this thing. Narrowed down some components though. The owner of the shop I'm buying the bike from is selling is Ribbon air for a good price, so I'm gonna go with that. Anyone else here patiently waiting on those 2020s?

I ordered a 2020 indigo to replace my 2016...

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 16:05 Quote
piman wrote:

I have a black Rootdown on pre-order, last time I checked they said mid feb. I bought all the components already. Next weeks can't go by fast enough.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 16:28 Quote
I had to wait for my 2015 rootdown till july 2015. Then it came in the wrong colour and were sold out. Scarring

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006246
Mobile Version of Website