Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 18:47 Quote
Jesse, I know we spoke on the MC, but my indecisive arse came back to the Rootdown where I began all my research, mainly because I want to start racing as well as goofing off. In the end, I've got a 2020 GX Indigo on order now (March, ETA) with silver stem, pedals, etc. I'm waiting with crazy anticipation. So psyched.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 18:59 Quote
Ordered an Indigo Blue over a month ago.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 19:33 Quote
Ranger242 wrote:
Ordered an Indigo Blue over a month ago.

I didn't anticipate this level of demand.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 12:46 Quote
Any opinions on how the Rootdown pedals on flow and XC trails? I'm interested in it because I think it would RIP on my frequent trips to the NC mountains but worried that it would be too much for my day to day riding in Central NC. Im not expecting an XC rocket or anything but I don't want to regret it on my home trails.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 17:03 Quote
I love the RD on XC rips. Short chainstays make for festivities on mundane features.

Posted: Jan 31, 2020 at 17:30 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I love the RD on XC rips. Short chainstays make for festivities on mundane features.

I second that. I loved my Primer on our local XC trails.

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 6:17 Quote
BSheldon wrote:
Jesse, I know we spoke on the MC, but my indecisive arse came back to the Rootdown where I began all my research, mainly because I want to start racing as well as goofing off. In the end, I've got a 2020 GX Indigo on order now (March, ETA) with silver stem, pedals, etc. I'm waiting with crazy anticipation. So psyched.

Neither is a bad choice and that Indigo looks amazing. I look forward to some sweet photos!

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 10:15 Quote
For those out there who have cut down their seat tube on a Rootdown, how much did you cut off and how did you do it to make the cut is clean as possible?

I have a large 2018 frame with a OneUp dropper and would prefer the seat to be lower. I was thinking about taking 20mm off at least.

Any advice? Thanks.

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 11:20 Quote
Cmzmyers wrote:
For those out there who have cut down their seat tube on a Rootdown, how much did you cut off and how did you do it to make the cut is clean as possible?

I have a large 2018 frame with a OneUp dropper and would prefer the seat to be lower. I was thinking about taking 20mm off at least.

Any advice? Thanks.

Not on a Rootdown but I have cut off seat tubes on several steel HT bikes. If you’re handy with a steady wrist a hacksaw is fine and the best route. Likely you’ll need a grinder or dremel to open up a vertical relief cut for clamping. A file to clean up the burr’s is important. I like a fine half round.

For a clean even cut a plumbing tube / pipe cutter can sometimes be used “IF” the TT or SS’s don't interfere with the handle or body of the cutter as you roll it around. This requires paying attention to the clamp relief cut unless cutting below. The pipe cutter will press the metal in so again half round file clean up inside the ST .

Look in my photos under Old bikes folder and I think I have photos of the process a couple pages in

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 14:15 Quote
I've done it with a Surface and Rootdown, took 20mm off with no issues. Or I should say I had the shop do it. The $20 they charged was reasonable, they are equipped with the right saws and files. I found I didn't have to lengthen the seat clamp reliefs and the seat clamp was still able to hold the seat post more than well enough

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 15:23 Quote

I've got the new frame ready to roll.

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 15:32 Quote
Whoa.Beer (drooooooools)

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 15:38 Quote
Going all out! Nice ride

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 15:39 Quote
SC38 wrote:

I've got the new frame ready to roll.

Yes please!

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 at 15:52 Quote
I just moved from a Large to an XL so this was just a frame swap but my mechanic makes it look like a new bike Smile Also added a new to me set of cranks Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006245
Mobile Version of Website