Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 22:23 Quote
Ranger242 wrote:
I am expecting that I’ll ultimately end up with a 2.6/29 setup. I had bought these 27.5+ wheels to try the setup on my Surface. I have never ridden a 27.5+ setup, so we’ll see.

I trust the company enough that I know it'll be a blast either way. I was on the fence about wheel size for a long time. Might end up buying a plus set down the road.

SC38 wrote:
I love the format grips. Super nice.

Good to hear man, how's durability?

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 14:04 Quote
Ranger242 wrote:
BSheldon wrote:
Yeah, I'll definitely let you know. Mine will be set up in 29 form, not too much deviation from the stock GX build off their site. I asked for some silver stuff, got a set of scarabs and swapped the square waves for format grips because I want to try them out. Hopefully mid-March the next batch will come in.

I am expecting that I’ll ultimately end up with a 2.6/29 setup. I had bought these 27.5+ wheels to try the setup on my Surface. I have never ridden a 27.5+ setup, so we’ll see.

I started with the 27.5+ but ended up with the 29 x 2.6's. The 27.5+ just felt so slow for anything other than going down. The 29"s feel faster and more lively. Much happier now with the 29x2.6's

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 16:03 Quote
BSheldon wrote:
Ranger242 wrote:

I trust the company enough that I know it'll be a blast either way. I was on the fence about wheel size for a long time. Might end up buying a plus set down the road.

SC38 wrote:
I love the format grips. Super nice.

Good to hear man, how's durability?

I’m only three rides in so durability not yet tested.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 6:39 Quote
Parts are all ordered, should be another week or so that they turn up at the shop. Some highlights:

Indigo XL Rootdown

MRP Ribbon air

Nothing special for the rims, just lacing my WTB i23 rims to Hope Pro 4s (in chrome)

OneUp dropper

King headset (chrome)

Chromag bars and stem (black bars, chrome stem)

My current drivetrain which is RF Ride cranks, Zee derangler, Saint shifter, 11-36 cassette, and then I'm going with an oval 30t ring to see what it's all about.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 6:54 Quote
piman wrote:
Parts are all ordered, should be another week or so that they turn up at the shop. Some highlights:

Indigo XL Rootdown

MRP Ribbon air

Nothing special for the rims, just lacing my WTB i23 rims to Hope Pro 4s (in chrome)

OneUp dropper

King headset (chrome ????)

Chromag bars and stem (black bars, chrome stem)

My current drivetrain which is RF Ride cranks, Zee derangler, Saint shifter, 11-36 cassette, and then I'm going with an oval 30t ring to see what it's all about.

Do you build your own wheels? If you're gonna pay someone, just bite the bullet on some i29s - wide rims are nice.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 8:39 Quote
I went with all silver accents on mine, it just goes too well with that Indigo. I may see if chromag has a set of silver OSX bars kicking around so I can have that with the stem instead of black.

Can't wait to see some pictures, it'll be a looker.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 9:59 Quote
BSheldon wrote:
I went with all silver accents on mine, it just goes too well with that Indigo. I may see if chromag has a set of silver OSX bars kicking around so I can have that with the stem instead of black.

silver and that blue will be radical.

I really wanted the chrome bars for my last build, but they were either out of stock or skinny, can't remember, but all I know is I don't have any. The silver decal on black is nice too and ties in well to the stem. Bikes!

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 10:30 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
BSheldon wrote:

I really wanted the chrome bars for my last build, but they were either out of stock or skinny, can't remember, but all I know is I don't have any. The silver decal on black is nice too and ties in well to the stem. Bikes!

For inexpensive silver bars check out Kore OCD-35’s 45$ lightweight for that price 35 is rise not clamp diameter I do believe they have one or two more rise options, but super happy so far

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 10:52 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
BSheldon wrote:

For inexpensive silver bars check out Kore OCD-35’s 45$ lightweight for that price 35 is rise not clamp diameter I do believe they have one or two more rise options, but super happy so far
I've been using the Kore bars for years. They also have 31.8 options as well. I think I'll be going to SQlab bars soon as my wrists have been giving me problems after rides.

There's always the options of having bars sandblasted and chrome dipped...Eek ...for the true OCD.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 12:34 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
BSheldon wrote:

Nice!

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 14:09 Quote
Somehow it went two times

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 18:57 Quote
Almost done, got to wait 2 months for the snow to melt now...

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 19:09 Quote
quif wrote:

Size ?

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 19:11 Quote
THE-GUNT wrote:
quif wrote:

Size ?

Large

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 19:22 Quote
BSheldon wrote:

They don't have any chrome bars..... there were QC issues and they had to get rid of them. I was gonna go chrome bars :/

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006674
Mobile Version of Website