Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 19:25 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
piman wrote:
Parts are all ordered, should be another week or so that they turn up at the shop. Some highlights:

Indigo XL Rootdown

MRP Ribbon air

Nothing special for the rims, just lacing my WTB i23 rims to Hope Pro 4s (in chrome)

OneUp dropper

King headset (chrome ????)

Chromag bars and stem (black bars, chrome stem)

My current drivetrain which is RF Ride cranks, Zee derangler, Saint shifter, 11-36 cassette, and then I'm going with an oval 30t ring to see what it's all about.

Do you build your own wheels? If you're gonna pay someone, just bite the bullet on some i29s - wide rims are nice.

How much will I likely spend on a set of rims? I'm planning on building them myself. So far I've had nothing but good things to saw about my current rims, but I suppose I could just get new rims if they won't set me back too much. Means I would have a set of wheels to turn the old bike into a single speed beater.....

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 20:08 Quote
quif wrote:
Almost done, got to wait 2 months for the snow to melt now...

Coming along! I’m hoping to get mine out for a shakedown run tomorrow if the rain doesn’t move in too early tonight (no snow in Arizona). Still waiting on a dropper but have a loaner post on it from my parts bin. I have the same fork on my Surface. You should enjoy it.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 20:29 Quote
Ranger242 wrote:

Coming along! I’m hoping to get mine out for a shakedown run tomorrow if the rain doesn’t move in too early tonight (no snow in Arizona). Still waiting on a dropper but have a loaner post on it from my parts bin. I have the same fork on my Surface. You should enjoy it.[/Quote]

Can't wait to try the fork, hope it was a good choice. Nice indigo you got there by the way.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 22:45 Quote
piman wrote:

How much will I likely spend on a set of rims? I'm planning on building them myself. So far I've had nothing but good things to saw about my current rims, but I suppose I could just get new rims if they won't set me back too much. Means I would have a set of wheels to turn the old bike into a single speed beater.....

I have Asym i29 on my honzo. Bought them on crc, they are the cheapest supplier I know of that delivers to mainland Europe.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/at/en/s?q=wtb+asym

I also built a wheelset with praxis AL 32, on www.bike24.de they are sold for around 69 euros with their proprietary rim tape (which I love as it does not use glue but high tension)

https://www.bike24.at/suche?searchTerm=Praxis%20AL%2032

Definitely worth a try. And I also kept my old st i23 set for the single speeder.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 6:41 Quote
quif wrote:
Almost done, got to wait 2 months for the snow to melt now...

That flat black is stunning! I'm building a black 2018 right now but an jealous of the 2020 color!

Did you go 29's or 27.5+? I'm going the + route...I haven't ride a hardtail in a long time so hopefully a bit of your cushion will ease the break in.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 17:38 Quote
Cmzmyers wrote:

]

That flat black is stunning! I'm building a black 2018 right now but an jealous of the 2020 color!

Did you go 29's or 27.5+? I'm going the + route...I haven't ride a hardtail in a long time so hopefully a bit of your cushion will ease the break in.[/Quote]

Was not sure about the matte black but loving it!

I'm going 29 but I'm curious to try 27.5+ someday for sure

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 18:52 Quote
Very cool, Cannot dislike a black bike.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 21:46 Quote
Nice job. Looks great!

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 12:12 Quote
Any recommendations on Spank Oozy Trail vs WTB Asym i29 rims?

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 12:28 Quote
Anyone running 29x2.6 tires on a wide rim like the Ibis 941 on there Rootdown? I am currently running 29x2.4 on Ibis 941's and I think 2.6 would be the bees knees. Thanks!

Pic for attention

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 13:05 Quote
Just ordered a WeAreOne Union 29 wheelset laced to CK hubs. Beyond excited. Pictures once they arrive. Only like 6 more weeks to go! :/

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 13:15 Quote
jph406 wrote:
Anyone running 29x2.6 tires on a wide rim like the Ibis 941 on there Rootdown? I am currently running 29x2.4 on Ibis 941's and I think 2.6 would be the bees knees. Thanks!

Pic for attention

I'll be running mine factory 2.5F/2.4R as it comes from Chromag, but I plan on switching to 2.6/2.5 or 2.6/2.6 after I wear out my first set just out of curiosity.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011854
Mobile Version of Website