Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 13:43 Quote
piman wrote:
Any recommendations on Spank Oozy Trail vs WTB Asym i29 rims?

Im a big fan of the oozy stuff. Very strong where the wtb stuff is a little rim soft.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 14:39 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
piman wrote:

Im a big fan of the oozy stuff. Very strong where the wtb stuff is a little rim soft.

I've wrecked a few WTBs. I had a Chromag on the back of my Kona 111 all summer in the wonderful Okanagan with dozens of runs down silverstar etc. and it's in perfect shape. Had a bunch of flats on rocks too! I'd buy more. If I was building wheels for a chromag it would be the only option in my eyes. .

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 15:41 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
piman wrote:

I've wrecked a few WTBs. I had a Chromag on the back of my Kona 111 all summer in the wonderful Okanagan with dozens of runs down silverstar etc. and it's in perfect shape. Had a bunch of flats on rocks too! I'd buy more. If I was building wheels for a chromag it would be the only option in my eyes. .

Chromag rims are on backorder till March which if the 2020 Rootdowns is any indication that means it will be another couple months still. Plus they're about $25 more per rim from the LBS than WTBs or Spanks. But thanks for the insight!

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 15:43 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
piman wrote:

Thanks homie! That's where I'm leaning, but I do like the idea of the Asyms to make lacing easier since there's no dish.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 17:45 Quote
piman wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
piman wrote:

Thanks homie! That's where I'm leaning, but I do like the idea of the Asyms to make lacing easier since there's no dish.

Yeah but they easy to fold into a taco too lol

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 18:14 Quote
BSheldon wrote:
jph406 wrote:
Anyone running 29x2.6 tires on a wide rim like the Ibis 941 on there Rootdown? I am currently running 29x2.4 on Ibis 941's and I think 2.6 would be the bees knees. Thanks!

Pic for attention

I'll be running mine factory 2.5F/2.4R as it comes from Chromag, but I plan on switching to 2.6/2.5 or 2.6/2.6 after I wear out my first set just out of curiosity.

Report back on how the 2.6 fit. What wheelset are you running? What internal measurement?

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 18:42 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
piman wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Yeah but they easy to fold into a taco too lol

Word. Spank it is! I've heard nothing but good things about Spank anyway. Hear they have great customer service and excellent parts.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 19:02 Quote
I have built up 5 sets of spanks at this point and zero issues with any of them.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 20:29 Quote
Took the Rootdown out for a shake down run on South Mountain in Phoenix AZ. I had hoped to do a Phoenix/National loop but lost light and had to double back down Mormon. Both options are steep and chunky, so fun was had. I was impressed at how well it handled technical climbing features. Definitely need to get my dropper installed.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 7:27 Quote
jph406 wrote:
BSheldon wrote:
jph406 wrote:
Anyone running 29x2.6 tires on a wide rim like the Ibis 941 on there Rootdown? I am currently running 29x2.4 on Ibis 941's and I think 2.6 would be the bees knees. Thanks!

Pic for attention

I'll be running mine factory 2.5F/2.4R as it comes from Chromag, but I plan on switching to 2.6/2.5 or 2.6/2.6 after I wear out my first set just out of curiosity.

Report back on how the 2.6 fit. What wheelset are you running? What internal measurement?

I've got a 29x2.6 Maxxis Forekaster in the rear of my '19 Rootdown (on 30mm ID rims). I had a shop dish the wheel towards NDS a few mm. Lot of clearance. Enough to the point that I think I could run a larger volume 2.6 like a XR4. I don't have a micrometer, so I can't give you the actual measurement of the Forekaster - but it is pretty big looking.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 7:34 Quote
[Quote="Ranger242"]Took the Rootdown out for a shake down run on South Mountain in Phoenix AZ. I had hoped to do a Phoenix/National loop but lost light and had to double back down Mormon. Both options are steep and chunky, so fun was had. I was impressed at how well it handled technical climbing features. Definitely need to get my dropper installed.

That blue looks so good.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 8:55 Quote
Atron80 wrote:
jph406 wrote:
BSheldon wrote:

I've got a 29x2.6 Maxxis Forekaster in the rear of my '19 Rootdown (on 30mm ID rims). I had a shop dish the wheel towards NDS a few mm. Lot of clearance. Enough to the point that I think I could run a larger volume 2.6 like a XR4. I don't have a micrometer, so I can't give you the actual measurement of the Forekaster - but it is pretty big looking.

Thanks for the great info. Sounds like a 2.6 on a 35mm internal rim will be no problem. Cheers!

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 10:55 Quote
That's awesome. I was there this morning. How did she handle the downs? Been thinking of getting the same bike and riding this same trail as my go to.

Ranger242 wrote:
Took the Rootdown out for a shake down run on South Mountain in Phoenix AZ. I had hoped to do a Phoenix/National loop but lost light and had to double back down Mormon. Both options are steep and chunky, so fun was had. I was impressed at how well it handled technical climbing features. Definitely need to get my dropper installed.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 13:47 Quote
Phoenix looks so nice from here.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 14:28 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Phoenix looks so nice from here.

Sure does... Im trying to plan a bike trip to New Mexico now.... some absolutely badd ass looking trails up in the Albuquerque/ Santa Fe area... in particular one called Jagged Axe

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008881
Mobile Version of Website