Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2020 at 12:57 Quote
I asked Ian (from Chromag) when I was wondering which way to go with the fork on my build for my Surface. Here's what he said:

"We’ve spent a fair bit of time testing both. For starters I believe the difference is small. Small enough that when you set out on one or the other you may wonder if you can actually tell a difference.

There are some benefits to either type. In a nutshell the longer offset tends to favor slower techy riding while the shorter is suited to higher speeds.

I ride a lot of steep climbs and our descents can be tricky with pauses ands obstacles like roots and chunky rock shelf’s along the way. I favor the 51 offset as it tends to wander less on the ups and less likely to be drawn to one side as you roll over the back of something. On flow trails, bike park and wide open stuff I’d lean to the shorter offset as it sees less deflection from head on hits.

Again the difference is quite small. We tend to stock more of the shorter now and to be honest it’s probably more a matter of the wind blowing in that direction but certainly the longer offset remains relevant and effective for all riding!"

Posted: Mar 20, 2020 at 18:58 Quote
Thanks for that info.

Posted: Mar 21, 2020 at 15:13 Quote
Can anyone confirm whether or not a 29 x 2.6 tire on a 32mm internal width rim will fit reasonably well in a 2019 rootdown? I'm thinking a Maxxis Minion DHRII 29 x 2.6.

Posted: Mar 21, 2020 at 16:48 Quote
The 2020 geo "remains largely unchanged" according to Chromag's website, other than shorter seat tubes and longer reaches.

I've seen a few 2019 builds with a 2.5 rear, not sure on 2.6 but I imagine you could without fuss.

Posted: Mar 21, 2020 at 20:02 Quote
Now with 100% more Chromag.

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 22:24 Quote
ooooof that translucent blue... Drool

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 22:28 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:

It is like looking into deep water.

Posted: Mar 23, 2020 at 22:42 Quote
FeWesty wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

It is like looking into deep water.

I’ve always loved burn marks under color... cant wait to see it built up.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 11:06 Quote
I love that they have now started to bend the primer seat tube. That was my major problem with the Primer. I couldn’t run as big a 29 tire as I wanted. Personally I’m not a huge + tire fan so that was important to me. Now that they have started to bend them I’m sure it’ll fit.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 15:57 Quote
Not the best picture, good light is hard to come by today. Saddle and pedals will be swapped before pointed in anger.

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011273
Mobile Version of Website