Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 17:16 Quote
What up with the blue tape?

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 18:01 Quote
f*ck !, Thats nice !

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 19:54 Quote
THE-GUNT wrote:

Just some painters tape I put on the post to mark insertion depth when I had to pull the post to shorten the cable. Forgot to take it off.

Posted: Mar 24, 2020 at 20:04 Quote
FeWesty wrote:
THE-GUNT wrote:

Just some painters tape I put on the post to mark insertion depth when I had to pull the post to shorten the cable. Forgot to take it off.

You are forgiven, 100%. It's a beaut, Clark.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 9:06 Quote
FeWesty wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
ooooof that translucent blue... Drool

It is like looking into deep water.

Very nice! I like the "understated" look if you could call it that. Letting the frame do the talking. Built up my 2016 Surface in the same theme. One caution- mine is emerald green metallic where the color is in the clear coat like yours- it tends to chip fairly easily. First one really hurt, but as it is meant to be ridden hard- that's the way it goes- a sign of a properly used bike.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 10:47 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
FeWesty wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
ooooof that translucent blue... Drool

Very nice! I like the "understated" look if you could call it that. Letting the frame do the talking. Built up my 2016 Surface in the same theme. One caution- mine is emerald green metallic where the color is in the clear coat like yours- it tends to chip fairly easily. First one really hurt, but as it is meant to be ridden hard- that's the way it goes- a sign of a properly used bike.

I am aware of that. But one thing I like about the tinted clear is that even new it shows off it's warts. You can see brush marks in the steel, mill patina and even what appears to be a thumb print.

That being said clear tape is going on cable rub areas and typical chip areas like the downtube until I can get my hands on some better frame protection.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 12:05 Quote
I have been using this on custom builds at our shop and its the best I have found so far for a having good protection and letting the color come through. Its not cheap but flexes/bends better than anything else I have used and I have tried a ton. http://www.iscracerstape.com. Surface Protection Tape / Helicopter Tape

FeWesty wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:
FeWesty wrote:

I am aware of that. But one thing I like about the tinted clear is that even new it shows off it's warts. You can see brush marks in the steel, mill patina and even what appears to be a thumb print.

That being said clear tape is going on cable rub areas and typical chip areas like the downtube until I can get my hands on some better frame protection.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 12:25 Quote
I can vouch for this stuff. We use the actual 3M version on our helicopter blades at work to keep them from wearing down prematurely in sand/dust desert landings and it saves us a lot of time time and money. If it can hold up to that abuse, frame protection is a drop in the bucket.

One of its key properties is a certain amount of give when impacted, so it can be hit by debris without getting compromised. For contoured areas, a heatgun will allow it to be worked around some reasonably complex curves without needing to be relief-cut. I would not use any type of direct heat (no butane torches etc.)

The one other point I'd reinforce is to never use any solvent or alcohol-based cleaning products on it (not that you would on a bike) because that will cause it to become brittle and crack over time. With mild soap and water, it will stay flexible pretty much indefinitely.

Great recommendation.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 21:09 Quote
Thanks for the recommendation guys, Helicopter tape ordered. Public lands have been closed so no trails for me. Pretended it was 2004 and hucked stairs and retaining walls. This thing is fun!

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 21:40 Quote
Love a blue bike, your's looks Killer...Fab

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 21:53 Quote
FeWesty wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation guys, Helicopter tape ordered. Public lands have been closed so no trails for me. Pretended it was 2004 and hucked stairs and retaining walls. This thing is fun!

When this thing lifts we should meet up for a rip where ever you’re into.

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 11:00 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
FeWesty wrote:

When this thing lifts we should meet up for a rip where ever you’re into.

When this is all over I'd be down for a Rootdown trail party! I'm down in Portland but am aiming to ride in Washington more. Was looking to hit North Slope for practice before the first round of the CDC Series(popular acronym these days) until all this happened.

Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 11:03 Quote
That Primer is gorgeous!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006095
Mobile Version of Website