Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Mar 31, 2020 at 23:06 Quote
frigofff wrote:
how do you find the 150 fork as opposed to running the recommended 160? bb still plenty high? bike looks excellent man. i would imagine the half degree steeper in the st and ha would be much appreciated on mellower terrain.

I recently bumped my fork up from 150 to 160 on my 2019 Rootdown. I started with 150 because I wanted the bike to be a better all-rounder, but I like how the bike rides better in all aspects with the fork at 160.

With the very steep seat angle and reach lengthening with the lower fork, I found there was too much weight on my hands, and I was a bit too locked in forward. With the 160 fork, the bike feels more neutral, and I have more room to move around with the higher bars.

Low BB height was not an issue at 150. The bike is not especially low.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 7:05 Quote
Pandalosi0 wrote:
Once I swap my parts over, I'll have my black '19 Rootdown frame posted for sale. As well as the Rockshox Lyrik and Chromag Phase 30 wheels it originally came with.

How much will you be asking for the Lyrik? My brother is looking at forks for his Specialized so I figured I'd ask.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 9:42 Quote
piman wrote:
Pandalosi0 wrote:
Once I swap my parts over, I'll have my black '19 Rootdown frame posted for sale. As well as the Rockshox Lyrik and Chromag Phase 30 wheels it originally came with.

How much will you be asking for the Lyrik? My brother is looking at forks for his Specialized so I figured I'd ask.

I'll message ya to keep it Chromag around here

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 13:10 Quote
What's everyone running for BB92 bottom brackets? I'm waiting on a Primer frame which I am going to build up and I've never run pressfit before. I'll probably put XT cranks on it but want a nice smooth and not creaky.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 13:57 Quote
kwl1 wrote:
What's everyone running for BB92 bottom brackets? I'm waiting on a Primer frame which I am going to build up and I've never run pressfit before. I'll probably put XT cranks on it but want a nice smooth and not creaky.

I did a wheels manufacturing threaded / pressfit. Works great with no noise....

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 15:03 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
kwl1 wrote:

I did a wheels manufacturing threaded / pressfit. Works great with no noise....

Nice, never heard of that brand before. I will check it out.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 17:40 Quote
I did a Wheels Manufacturing BB as well. No issues so far.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 18:57 Quote

Got the frame today! She's beautiful and I'm honestly happier with this color than the indigo Rootdown I had to send back. Super stoked that Chromag went above and beyond to remedy their QC f*ckup.

Little bit of a mixup though preventing me from finishing the build tonight. So the shop was only able to find silver Pro 4s with one kind of end cap. They ordered what they thought was the right set for me which I picked up today. Turns out the distributor mislabeled parts and I ended up with end caps for a different hub standard. They said the right ones should be in Friday if all goes according to plan otherwise it'll be next week.

Got everything else built that I could though and I'm so pleased. Eager to see how this Box drivetrain goes and how the oval ring handles. Also stoked to finally have a dropper post.

Whatcha think??

(Also please ignore the cables....I don't have the tools yet to chop my brake cables down, and I've never actually done hydraulic brake maintenance before...)

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 19:07 Quote
Dude, it's super nice. Hat's off to Ian and the Chromag crew for standing by their product in your case - these situations are what create lifelong customers.

Bummer about the hubs, but it's looking great already. The color is really cool.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 19:29 Quote
kwl1 wrote:

I've always been partial to Shimano pf bb's. The plastic cups in my mind anyways would fit/conform to any really minor bb shell imperfections better than metal bb cups.

That being said I've read only good things about the Wheels thread together pf92 bb's, but never had the courage to buck up for one.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 19:35 Quote
Saw a 2020 Rootdown today on a group ride, so rode with the dude, We pretty much led and gapped 4 legit enduro riders on enduro full squishers on 20 minute gnarly chundreous downhill, Steel hardtails making high tech plastic look silly,........ any way that 2020 Rootdown is sick in person..... I want now.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 19:37 Quote
I've got a Wheels bb as well (per Sterling's recommendation). Can't speak to it's performance, but I know the tech had a hell of a time installing it so I think that means it'll be snug and quiet. The fact that they're threaded together should help eliminate wobble too and cut down on creaks. Also I've heard nothing but good things about Chromag's tolerances too which will certainly help keep the bb where it's supposed to be.

Also thanks Sterling! I'm a big fan of the color too!

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 19:40 Quote
I've got a wheels mfg. bb in my Stanton, seems damn nice, you need a specific bb tool to install or remove it.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 20:01 Quote
slaker wrote:
Saw a 2020 Rootdown today on a group ride, so rode with the dude, We pretty much led and gapped 4 legit enduro riders on enduro full squishers on 20 minute gnarly chundreous downhill, Steel hardtails making high tech plastic look silly,........ any way that 2020 Rootdown is sick in person..... I want now.

Read this and smiled enough that my wife just looked over and asked me what was so humorous. Mine is shipping any day now, and El Paso just shut the trails down... Bunny hops in the back yard it is!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007871
Mobile Version of Website