Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 20:12 Quote
Oh yeah I should have mentioned that I had my shop guys put it in. Very snug and solid feeling. But I didn’t want to buy a tool just for that...

Righteous slacker... get one!

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 20:13 Quote
Wish we could give props for comments

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 20:33 Quote
Piman - Primer is looking awesome. Love the matte red.

BSheldon - Stoked to hear that yours is on the way. It’s been a long wait.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 20:38 Quote
With my Race Face Cinch (30 mm spindle) cranks, I am running an Enduro Bearings bb where the bearings press directly into the bb shell rather than having cups. It has been flawless.

This one: https://www.bikemag.com/gear/components/beatdown-enduro-bb92-30mm-bottom-bracket-90-2/

Prior to getting that, I had a couple of Race Face Cinch bottom brackets that died pretty quickly.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 22:06 Quote
whats everyone doing as far as frame protection? any recommended anti rust treatments for the inside of the frame? i know the dropper routing is a concern for some, has anyone actually damaged their dropper cable from things hitting the down tube?

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 22:33 Quote
Sounds like you really made out there, Priman.
I like the red matte. Very different.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 22:35 Quote
DMal wrote:
With my Race Face Cinch (30 mm spindle) cranks, I am running an Enduro Bearings bb where the bearings press directly into the bb shell rather than having cups. It has been flawless.

This one: https://www.bikemag.com/gear/components/beatdown-enduro-bb92-30mm-bottom-bracket-90-2/

Prior to getting that, I had a couple of Race Face Cinch bottom brackets that died pretty quickly.

Race Face bb's always die quickly. At least in the NorthWet they do. A grinding halt those damn things!

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 22:40 Quote
frigofff wrote:
whats everyone doing as far as frame protection? any recommended anti rust treatments for the inside of the frame? i know the dropper routing is a concern for some, has anyone actually damaged their dropper cable from things hitting the down tube?

https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Performance-ALL14275-Clear-Surface/dp/B003BZO05C?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1&th=1&psc=1#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 22:57 Quote
frigofff wrote:

Nothing.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 23:39 Quote
Yeah I ended up going for no frame protection too, I was really debating it, but I was only worried about rust actually structurally damaging the frame in maybe 10 years or so (first time with a steel frame), and plenty of sources online told me it’s not really a big worry with quality chromoly steel and it’s more of an aesthetic thing. Plus I ride in a super dry climate and keep my bike indoors anyways.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 1:02 Quote
frigofff wrote:
any recommended anti rust treatments for the inside of the frame??

I've sprayed ACF-50 inside my frame (probably not necessary, but figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a bit more rust protection)

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 7:18 Quote
I have had so many 60’s and 70’s steel road bikes over the years I have to guess they’re going to be fine for a good long while. Rust & all...

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 7:45 Quote
piman wrote:

Got the frame today! She's beautiful and I'm honestly happier with this color than the indigo Rootdown I had to send back. Super stoked that Chromag went above and beyond to remedy their QC f*ckup.

Little bit of a mixup though preventing me from finishing the build tonight. So the shop was only able to find silver Pro 4s with one kind of end cap. They ordered what they thought was the right set for me which I picked up today. Turns out the distributor mislabeled parts and I ended up with end caps for a different hub standard. They said the right ones should be in Friday if all goes according to plan otherwise it'll be next week.

Got everything else built that I could though and I'm so pleased. Eager to see how this Box drivetrain goes and how the oval ring handles. Also stoked to finally have a dropper post.

Whatcha think??

(Also please ignore the cables....I don't have the tools yet to chop my brake cables down, and I've never actually done hydraulic brake maintenance before...)

dude, that matte red kills the indigo if you ask me. With that chrome, Hey-Zues!

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 7:46 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I have had so many 60’s and 70’s steel road bikes over the years I have to guess they’re going to be fine for a good long while. Rust & all...

This is a perfect sentence ... a good long while!

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 8:10 Quote
fewnofrwgijn wrote:
Yeah I ended up going for no frame protection too, I was really debating it, but I was only worried about rust actually structurally damaging the frame in maybe 10 years or so (first time with a steel frame), and plenty of sources online told me it’s not really a big worry with quality chromoly steel and it’s more of an aesthetic thing. Plus I ride in a super dry climate and keep my bike indoors anyways.

no way you're gonna want a bike in 10 years when everything has 40 deg headangles and triple boost hubs.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008033
Mobile Version of Website