Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 5:38 Quote
Ugh, that has to be the biggest gut punch... I'm sorry to hear it man, you did such a great job with that build.

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 7:32 Quote
expertfailure wrote:
Ugh, that has to be the biggest gut punch... I'm sorry to hear it man, you did such a great job with that build.

Agreed.

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 12:40 Quote
KyRob wrote:
So my old 29's had end caps for rockshox so I could run 29's with my new Fox 38. Found a set of brand new DT swiss XM1501 (Awesome wheels!) for a good price and jumped on them.

I really enjoy the 29's, I won't be switching back to 27.5+ anytime soon. I might put a 2.6 on my 27.5+ rear and try the mullet thing.

On a side note, had to bit my tongue pretty hard at the LBS this week. Sales staff explaining to a newer rider that he "needs" a full suspension to do anything on a trail. I wish everyone could try these things..

photo

Here's my new phone backround if anyone is interested haha.
photo

Whoa that looks legitimately awesome, well done. That fork looks like a heavy hitter! Which size tires are those? Could only decipher the DD... How are you liking thar compound?

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 20:24 Quote
KyRob wrote:
So my old 29's had end caps for rockshox so I could run 29's with my new Fox 38. Found a set of brand new DT swiss XM1501 (Awesome wheels!) for a good price and jumped on them.

I really enjoy the 29's, I won't be switching back to 27.5+ anytime soon. I might put a 2.6 on my 27.5+ rear and try the mullet thing.

On a side note, had to bit my tongue pretty hard at the LBS this week. Sales staff explaining to a newer rider that he "needs" a full suspension to do anything on a trail. I wish everyone could try these things..

[PI18784282][/PI]

Here's my new phone backround if anyone is interested haha.
photo

Nice garden beds! Jelly about that.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 21:40 Quote
The tires are Front - 29x2.5WT, DHF, 3C Max terra compound, Exo casings -- Rear - 29x2.4WT, DHR2, 3C Max terra, Exo+ casings.

I really like them so far. I didn't want to do DD casing in the rear for this bike. I'd rather just get exo+ and use tire inserts (don't have any yet)

I had the same tires on my last bike except max grip compound and DD rear casings. They dragged like crazy. I can say they don't seem to grip as hard as the max grip. I didn't think I would notice as I didn't think I rode hard enough to find the limits of the tires but apparently I do.

Also, I just built those garden boxes for my wife. She is pretty pumped but I will let her know that they are getting lots of attention.

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 23:12 Quote
Sweet bike and... yes very nice yard.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 9:22 Quote
KyRob wrote:
The tires are Front - 29x2.5WT, DHF, 3C Max terra compound, Exo casings -- Rear - 29x2.4WT, DHR2, 3C Max terra, Exo+ casings.

I really like them so far. I didn't want to do DD casing in the rear for this bike. I'd rather just get exo+ and use tire inserts (don't have any yet)

I had the same tires on my last bike except max grip compound and DD rear casings. They dragged like crazy. I can say they don't seem to grip as hard as the max grip. I didn't think I would notice as I didn't think I rode hard enough to find the limits of the tires but apparently I do.

Also, I just built those garden boxes for my wife. She is pretty pumped but I will let her know that they are getting lots of attention.

Ah right , that’s a 3C not a DD symbol, my bad.
Interesting thoughts on your tire combo, thanks for sharing.
I ran my honzo as a mullet (Dhf 2.5 front and dhf 2.8 rear) for about half a year now. I did notice the drag And the slacker sta (150mm fork) on the climbs, descending was fun though.
But last weekend I went back to a 29x2.5 dhf 3C rear, and it was honestly better both up and down.
After the last ride, I swapped the front to a 2.6 dhf 3C Max terra. Can’t wait to get it dirty next weekend Wink

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 12:12 Quote
elihogan wrote:
Hello fellow Chromag aficionados! Shameless plug but I just learned that I have to move to California and need to move to one bike. With this, I'm going to have to part ways with the Chromag Doctahawk I just finished building two weeks ago. $4300+cost of shipping takes it. I have $5700 into this build, it is brand new with one 30 minute test ride on a flow trail to make sure everything was working appropriately. Life is effin weird, and I can't believe I'm doing this...Anyways, if any of you dudes are interested, shoot me a message. Here's the link to my PB ad with all the info. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2785139/?directtofirstphoto=&page=-1&lastredirect=&lastredirect

photo

Are you crazy - never sell that beauty! Or at least sell it for $5700, cause look at tall the fancy bits someone now doesn't have to custom order.

Love that bike.

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 12:14 Quote
slaker wrote:
expertfailure wrote:
A little off-topic but has anyone here used the EVOC Hip Pack Race, or hip packs in general? This will be my first one; after some research I got one for me and one for the kid.

photo

I've been wearing a 'fanny' pack on short rides for like 30 years. I finally bought a new fancy one recently thinking I could ditch the bottle, but it's a bit floppy (dakine), but otherwise when not filled with a litre of water the new fangled fannies fit amazing. So much nicer than a sweaty backpack if you don't need a tonne of water or gear.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 12:19 Quote
Thanks for the reply, Jesse. They should be here tomorrow, really hoping I like them. In other news... I snapped my chain on last night's ride! My own damn fault, thought I had it in low gear from a stop and put too much torque down... RIP Sram GX Chain: April 2020 - June 2020.

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 12:32 Quote
expertfailure wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Jesse. They should be here tomorrow, really hoping I like them. In other news... I snapped my chain on last night's ride! My own damn fault, thought I had it in low gear from a stop and put too much torque down... RIP Sram GX Chain: April 2020 - June 2020.

I love riding with nothing but a shirt on my back - so free, so cool!

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 13:10 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
expertfailure wrote:

I love riding with nothing but a shirt on my back - so free, so cool!

I wear the Osprey Raptor pack on full day outings. For quick days out I use the Dakine Hotlaps Stealth hip pack (no reservoir). It is very minimal and can be hidden under my jersey. I just bought the Nathan QuickStart 4L hydration vest. The Nathan is mainly to have more water on short days. Mostly I try not to wear packs or fanny's and I use the Specialized SWAT seat bandit and tool bottle cage to have everything I need. I will report back on the Nathan vest.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 14:32 Quote
elihogan wrote:
Hello fellow Chromag aficionados! Shameless plug but I just learned that I have to move to California and need to move to one bike. With this, I'm going to have to part ways with the Chromag Doctahawk I just finished building two weeks ago. $4300+cost of shipping takes it. I have $5700 into this build, it is brand new with one 30 minute test ride on a flow trail to make sure everything was working appropriately. Life is effin weird, and I can't believe I'm doing this...Anyways, if any of you dudes are interested, shoot me a message. Here's the link to my PB ad with all the info. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2785139/?directtofirstphoto=&page=-1&lastredirect=&lastredirect

photo

Are you crazy - never sell that beauty! Or at least sell it for $5700, cause look at tall the fancy bits someone now doesn't have to custom order.

Love that bike.

Yeah I can definitely say I didn't ever anticipate having to, frick...

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 17:17 Quote
slaker wrote:
expertfailure wrote:
A little off-topic but has anyone here used the EVOC Hip Pack Race, or hip packs in general? This will be my first one; after some research I got one for me and one for the kid.

photo

I've been wearing a 'fanny' pack on short rides for like 30 years. I finally bought a new fancy one recently thinking I could ditch the bottle, but it's a bit floppy (dakine), but otherwise when not filled with a litre of water the new fangled fannies fit amazing. So much nicer than a sweaty backpack if you don't need a tonne of water or gear.
I wore one in the 80's to carry my walkman in.........

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 21:37 Quote
Walkman + Fanny pack back in the day was the absolute epitome of portable electronics. Real game changer...and CDs weren't the same because of all the skipping so my tapes stuck around for a long time. I digress....

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016564
Mobile Version of Website