Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 5:37 Quote
I've got a 2017 Surface running 27.5 X 2.8
I,d like to get a set of 29 wheels for summer use..
Is anyone running the Chromag BA30 or Phase 30 wheelsets and any comments on them?
Any other recommendations on decent wheels/hubs?
Its a great bike

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 6:30 Quote
I'm running BA30s from factory that came on my 2020 with a 2.5 DHF and 2.4 DHR. I couldn't be happier with the performance of the rims so far. Plenty stiff but they don't beat you up. I haven't taken them to a proper bike park yet, but just popping off of ledges and rocks on my local trails inspires confidence.

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 7:46 Quote
fewnofrwgijn wrote:
Took my Rootdown to a real bike park for the first time today, really impressed with how it performed, pumping the terrain and berms was easy, jumps felt effortless and extra big, and it really held together in the technical stuff, even managed to make it down the two double black diamonds no problem. Managed to keep up with some of racers practicing on a few flowier courses for the weekend race on big enduro/DH bikes even.
But it was still a hardtail, the trails were chunky and a little rutted and the rattling got to my arms quick after 3 runs, and I slipped a pedal for the first time in nearly a decade.
Crazy fun though, I was almost getting bored of the bike park until I swapped out to the rootdown.
The “enduro hardtail” name was definitely earned today
Rad, awesome to keep up with the big bikes on a HT.

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 12:17 Quote
Does anyone have any frame bag suggestions? Looking to outfit my 2017 primer as an uber aggressive bikepacking rig for some trips this summer. Any experience with bags that fit the chromag frames well? (Specifically mine is a large frame)

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 15:32 Quote
Porcelain Rocket. 52mhz. I have a small on my large Rootdown. Fits perfect with the sloping top tube! Used it as part of a setup for a trek into the South Chilcotins and it was bomber!

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 15:52 Quote
S-nicholas wrote:
Does anyone have any frame bag suggestions? Looking to outfit my 2017 primer as an uber aggressive bikepacking rig for some trips this summer. Any experience with bags that fit the chromag frames well? (Specifically mine is a large frame)

I'm using a Blackburn Outpost Frame Bag - size M. The fit is a little off but for $60 i really can't complain, plus everything stayed dry after an 8hr rainstorm which i was super impressed by. Figured it was a good 'test the waters' bag before getting a custom bag made up by someone local.

Not sure if you're looking for a handlebar harness or seatpost bag but the Revelate stuff is bomber, particularily the Vole seatpost bag which is dropper post specific (though does need to be lined with a waterproof bag if you're going to be out in downpours. RIP dry socks for day 2 of this trip)

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 16:44 Quote
S-nicholas wrote:

I went custom from Rogue Panda in Flagstaff for my 2017 Rootdown BA. Not cheap, but with only a photo sent to the maker it fits perfectly and maximizes storage in the front triangle.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
2socks wrote:
S-nicholas wrote:

I went custom from Rogue Panda in Flagstaff for my 2017 Rootdown BA. Not cheap, but with only a photo sent to the maker it fits perfectly and maximizes storage in the front triangle.

Call Ari nick... he is right in town Dogbags

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 18:55 Quote
2socks wrote:
S-nicholas wrote:

Is that the bag in your Moab photo?

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 22:46 Quote
Andres Dockahalk....Better photos coming

Andres Dockahalk.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 8:02 Quote
slaker wrote:
2socks wrote:
S-nicholas wrote:

Is that the bag in your Moab photo?

Yep, that's the one.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote

It came together for me. The Chromag staff did an amazing job putting it all together. Nothing fancy in the build - just something that will work and work well for a long time! I am excited to join the Chromag family !

Nobody does it like Chromag does it. Third Chromag and nothing touches them. If the logical progression of their bikes doesn’t hook you, their customer service will.

Thanks Coox.. you’re a legend.

Super cool green

Some nice ones.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007734
Mobile Version of Website