Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 17:48 Quote
Pkemp227 wrote:
photo

photo

This might be my fave Surface so far. Blinged out but understated at the same time.. bravo.

Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 17:58 Quote
kdchiles22 wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:
photo
photo
And there you have it, I’ve joined the club officially. Looking forward to the first ride, might head out after dinner when it cools off. But made its so much better looking than I expected.

The only color I liked when I looked at the frames was black, but I must say the blue looks really nice in all the builds that have been posted here.
That blue is amazing, Almost like a 79 Porsche 911 arrow blue

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 18:00 Quote
slaker wrote:
kdchiles22 wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:
photo
photo
And there you have it, I’ve joined the club officially. Looking forward to the first ride, might head out after dinner when it cools off. But made its so much better looking than I expected.

The only color I liked when I looked at the frames was black, but I must say the blue looks really nice in all the builds that have been posted here.
That blue is amazing, Almost like a 79 Porsche 911 arrow blue

It’s such a nice color... got some little tweaks to do still. New tires and a wider range cassette are on the list. Thinking 2.4/2.5 tires are in order.

Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 18:04 Quote
What size are the thirteen's? It seems 2.5's at least for a all mountain hardtail are the way to go.

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 18:12 Quote
The e-13s are 2.35. Figure go assegai 2.5 front and 2.4/2.5 dhr in the back. Not sure yet, but those seem to be the best options out there for our area.

Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 19:28 Quote
Good combo.. Assguy is badass

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 19:41 Quote
Looking through the box, found some random small parts there... a pair of small 90deg metal elbows with some tiny little screws. Almost look like could be for adding racks or something. Also trying to understand the addition of the third bolt for a water bottle? B-rad system maybe??

Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 20:56 Quote
Cant wait to meet it.

Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 21:26 Quote
photo

I bet that paint is killer in person.

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 21:49 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
Looking through the box, found some random small parts there... a pair of small 90deg metal elbows with some tiny little screws. Almost look like could be for adding racks or something. Also trying to understand the addition of the third bolt for a water bottle? B-rad system maybe??
As far as I know the triple bottle cage bolts are a salsa thing, or salsa is the only one marketing it for their cargo-based “anything cages”. Maybe it’d be nice for a bikepacking setup, but it’s a hardtail, the ideal solution for that would just be a big frame bag right?
I really wanna fit a 2L bottle in my rootdown with something like that but I already got a bottle cage I like

Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 23:46 Quote
Pkemp227 wrote:
How far down do you figure it's safe to cut? Had anyone ever re cut the slot? Maybe I should just suck it up and get a shorter dropper. The 200 just seems so sweet.

There's a clip from hardtail party where he's shortening the tube on the rsd middlechild titanium for the same reason. He's also extending the slot and drilling the lower end of the slot.

https://youtu.be/AMuvf1NsIeM

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 5:52 Quote
rynee wrote:
Pkemp227 wrote:
How far down do you figure it's safe to cut? Had anyone ever re cut the slot? Maybe I should just suck it up and get a shorter dropper. The 200 just seems so sweet.

There's a clip from hardtail party where he's shortening the tube on the rsd middlechild titanium for the same reason. He's also extending the slot and drilling the lower end of the slot.

If I remember correctly, the guys at Chromag Headquarter told me, cutting the seattube would be ok and even within warranty, if done properly. They seem to do it themselves from time to time. But please ask them before taking out the hacksaw ;-)

I wouldnt do it though, but would go with a new PNW seatpost instead. Those can be travel adjusted in 5mm increments. And there loam lever is awesome as well.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 10:10 Quote
allride-now wrote:
rynee wrote:
Pkemp227 wrote:

If I remember correctly, the guys at Chromag Headquarter told me, cutting the seattube would be ok and even within warranty, if done properly. They seem to do it themselves from time to time. But please ask them before taking out the hacksaw ;-)

I wouldnt do it though, but would go with a new PNW seatpost instead. Those can be travel adjusted in 5mm increments. And there loam lever is awesome as well.

Yeah I wanted that PNW post but the LBS cant get one they're out of stock. And I just spent over 500 bucks on a reverb haha

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
Pkemp227 wrote:
has anybody ever cut down their seat tube to make room for a longer dropper? Assuming that would probably void warranty hey? i have a full machine shop at my disposal to make it happen. or does anyone wanna trade A 200mm reverb for a 170 haha

Chromag's head mechanic, D'Arcy Burke, did this to my Primer when I picked it up from their shop a few years ago. You should be able to cut your seat tube down.

Sadly, D'Arcy is no longer with us. He passed away this week after battling cancer for over a year. A beloved member of the Chromag family, D'Arcy was likely the person who hand-prepped your frame. Rest in peace, my friend.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.053258
Mobile Version of Website