Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Sep 17, 2015 at 9:08 Quote
Janosch wrote:
Not sure about the TransAM, but Honzo is more than a pound heavier than Rootdown in the same size as yours. In Europe Honzo is around 100 Euro cheaper than Rootdown, but even with slight price difference, it's a that's a lot of steel.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/kona/1012350d1441081164-honzo-build-thread-post-your-builds-here-uploadfromtaptalk1441081160193.jpg

Damn,that's a pig! Haha

Posted: Sep 17, 2015 at 9:45 Quote
JesseE wrote:
Janosch wrote:
I'm not exactly concerned about weight; we are talking about big assed steel frames after all.
I was only curious where is Rootdown compared to other frames in this category.

I think it's in the same realm as the Honzo, Trans AM etc. The surface is like a pound lighter I think, but also almost twice the price, haha. I should really try to lose a pound first!

My large was 6lb exactly.

Posted: Oct 26, 2015 at 19:56 Quote
Sweet bikes guys! I'll post my beauty up tommrow

Posted: Oct 27, 2015 at 6:17 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
Sweet bikes guys! I'll post my beauty up tommrow

Looking forward to it.

I've been on my bike for a few months now, and I still finish every ride in love.

I recently slapped a dampf on the front (nic on back) and while it has made it a bit slower, the bike is even more confidence inspiring. I now totally relate to this review: http://www.bikemag.com/gear/chromag-rootdown-review-dual-tester/

Posted: Oct 29, 2015 at 17:19 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
The new ride. This thing rips

That is a very fancy bicycle. I'd love to know the weight of that sucker. Would also love to know how it rides compared to mine.

Posted: Oct 29, 2015 at 17:21 Quote
JesseE wrote:
Giladgu wrote:

That is a very fancy bicycle. I'd love to know the weight of that sucker. Would also love to know how it rides compared to mine.
It rides fantastic! i dont have the bike with me right now but once i get it back i will make sure to get a weight on it. it isnt very light though Frown
to be fair though, its nowhere near as good looking as your rootdown.

Posted: Oct 29, 2015 at 18:46 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
JesseE wrote:
Giladgu wrote:

It rides fantastic! i dont have the bike with me right now but once i get it back i will make sure to get a weight on it. it isnt very light though Frown

Mine's pushing 30lbs. I don't think anyone who contributes to this forum is a weight weeny.

And thanks, my bike is not flashy, but took a fair amount of agonizing. I'm a designer by trade, so most things visual are a least somewhat intentional. I was supposed to get a grey/red one which would have been slick as hell, but when I heard it was gonna be classic black (f*ck up somewhere between shop-distributor-chromag) I kept the build all timeless colours & finishes that would age well.

BTW, did you get a red dropout from Chromag??

Posted: Oct 29, 2015 at 18:59 Quote
JesseE wrote:
Giladgu wrote:
JesseE wrote:

Mine's pushing 30lbs. I don't think anyone who contributes to this forum is a weight weeny.

And thanks, my bike is not flashy, but took a fair amount of agonizing. I'm a designer by trade, so most things visual are a least somewhat intentional. I was supposed to get a grey/red one which would have been slick as hell, but when I heard it was gonna be classic black (f*ck up somewhere between shop-distributor-chromag) I kept the build all timeless colours & finishes that would age well.

im not actualy sure, since i recently got the bike used. but i would assume that it is from chromag

Posted: Nov 3, 2015 at 12:14 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
JesseE wrote:
Giladgu wrote:

im not actualy sure, since i recently got the bike used. but i would assume that it is from chromag

Nice little detail.

Posted: Nov 22, 2015 at 19:32 Quote
My Rootdown that I put together this summer...I fancied something with some colour this time after lots of 1-colour bikes (black Stiffee, yellow Kula, white VT,etc.).

Could have been more fussy about the graphics but I'm really not THAT arsed about matching everything!

Everyone now has a guess as to whether I'm American, French, British, Czech, Croatian, Dutch, Russian, Serbian, Slovakian, Slovenian...... Rolleyes

Completed Chromag Rootdown
Ready to hit the trails...

Went with the RF kit to give it a Canadian feel, despite the colour scheme!

Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 6:15 Quote
The-BIG-GT wrote:
My Rootdown that I put together this summer...I fancied something with some colour this time after lots of 1-colour bikes (black Stiffee, yellow Kula, white VT,etc.).

Could have been more fussy about the graphics but I'm really not THAT arsed about matching everything!

Everyone now has a guess as to whether I'm American, French, British, Czech, Croatian, Dutch, Russian, Serbian, Slovakian, Slovenian...... Rolleyes

Man, lots of blue on here. Looking very flashy. If you were American that colour scheme would only mean one thing Razz

I can't complain about my cranks at all, BUT, I wish they'd offered the cinch version when I bought mine. Makes so much sense.

Also, surprised (like me) you didn't go with a dropper. I'm thinking I'll get one next year, as for the first time in my life my seat is actually getting in the way. Must be the bike making me ride harder Smile

Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 22:43 Quote
JesseE wrote:
The-BIG-GT wrote:

Man, lots of blue on here. Looking very flashy. If you were American that colour scheme would only mean one thing Razz

I can't complain about my cranks at all, BUT, I wish they'd offered the cinch version when I bought mine. Makes so much sense.

Also, surprised (like me) you didn't go with a dropper. I'm thinking I'll get one next year, as for the first time in my life my seat is actually getting in the way. Must be the bike making me ride harder Smile

Thanks, I know it's quite bright but I've got little bored of 'stealth' bikes... and I'm having a blast on this as it's so different from my Remedy. My first 29er, my first steel hardtail. It brightens up boring trails and is grin-tastic on the Shore!

A dropper will be a later addition, once I have the funds. Was looking at the new Turbine dropper (to keep in line with the other components) with which I can also colour-match the thumb lever. However, realistically I might have to go cheaper just to get one on there.

That said, I have never used a dropper so I'm not missing it as much as almost anyone who has would in my situation! I know of local riders who say they'd rather give up disc brakes and suspension before giving up their dropper. Confused

BTW, not being American, what would it mean? Redface

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 8:05 Quote
[Quote="The-BIG-GT"][Quote="JesseE"]
The-BIG-GT wrote:

BTW, not being American, what would it mean? Redface

I was just joking. The US has unofficial ownership of the Red White and Blue.

The 9Point8 dropper sounds very promising, and is another Canadian company. PB did a review a while back. I think that's what I'll get.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017958
Mobile Version of Website