Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 18:01 Quote
mutton wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I just cant wait for the border to open...

They let you into Canada?

I haz many alias’s I travel to the great white North as Brahns Johnson

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 14:51 Quote
allride-now wrote:

Great looking bike, what bars are you running? I just ordered the SQLab 30X bars with the 12 degree backsweep. Interested to see how they'll do on the Surface.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 14:54 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
mutton wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I just cant wait for the border to open...

I thought it was Dick Pounds??

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
mutton wrote:

I thought it was Dick Pounds??

Thats strictly for Spearfish... when I cum visit your ass aboard the Stool Bus

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 16:54 Quote
switchback249 wrote:
Great looking bike, what bars are you running? I just ordered the SQLab 30X bars with the 12 degree backsweep. Interested to see how they'll do on the Surface.

That's what I started rockin and I'm digging it so far. SQ Lab seems to be on to something. Over at NSMB they talk about how bars haven't changed much since the riser started and it's true. I am not having as much wrist pain as before and it feels strange at first but you adapt.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 17:45 Quote
Hey guys,

Trying to decide between a Bomber Z1 or a 36 upfront on the Rootdown. Any recommendations?

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 20:20 Quote
The Z1 is virtually the same as a 36 with a more basic damper setup, no? But does have the coil option. I prefer air on a hard tail so I can keep it sitting higher in the travel, and easily stiffen things up when riding flow trails and dirt jumps.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 20:56 Quote
jackfunk wrote:
The Z1 is virtually the same as a 36 with a more basic damper setup, no? But does have the coil option. I prefer air on a hard tail so I can keep it sitting higher in the travel, and easily stiffen things up when riding flow trails and dirt jumps.

Yes, I believe so. Also weighs slightly more. Another question off the top of my head. I run oneup carbon bars on my FS. What do you guys recommend in terms of bar material?

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 21:30 Quote
trioofchaos wrote:
Hey guys,

Trying to decide between a Bomber Z1 or a 36 upfront on the Rootdown. Any recommendations?

Comes down to money then ? Z1 is Quite a bit cheaper. And if you’re not the type to fiddle around with like two clicks here and 6 clicks there... Z1. Set it and forget it. Tough as nails and probably going to be great. If you prefer subtle changes maybe the 36...they are very nice from what I understand.

Bars? Big fan of alloy here.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 5:52 Quote
switchback249 wrote:
allride-now wrote:

Thank you. 12° unfortunstely isn't enough for my mangled wrist. I tore away the SL ligament a couple years ago and had a weird surgery to fix the consequences. I like a good amount of bar sweep before, but now I have to ride 15° or more to avoid pain after anything longer than 1h rides.

The wideangle sports Groovy Cycle Titanium LuvHandles. The new blue singlespeed got a 16° SQlab. Both feel comfortable for hours in the saddle yet totally acceptable in the rough stuff - no indirect steering feel but maybe not for everyone.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 7:52 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
trioofchaos wrote:
Hey guys,

Comes down to money then ? Z1 is Quite a bit cheaper. And if you’re not the type to fiddle around with like two clicks here and 6 clicks there... Z1. Set it and forget it. Tough as nails and probably going to be great. If you prefer subtle changes maybe the 36...they are very nice from what I understand.

Bars? Big fan of alloy here.

Okay, cool! Ended up pulling the trigger on a 36. Figured my fs bikes come and go but this one will be around for a while Smile

I have always been back and fourth between aluminum and carbon bars. One up does a really good job with conpliance, but think it may be time to get back to the aluminum side of things.

Now only 5 more months of waiting :/

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 11:26 Quote
Ti for bars is only real way to go for absorbing bumps.

Steel bars for a street jump weapon and alloy for cheapy trail use.

I have had 2 sets of titanium bars and majorly impressed by both though mainly my triple butted RUSTS which weigh f*ck all & have a 10 yr warranty + lifetime crash replacement at like 60% iirc

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 15:43 Quote
The Surface before a solid shred session that left me with a concussion and bruised kidneys

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 16:48 Quote
Wow, that frame color is incredible.

My local shop just became a Chromag dealer, which means having to drool over new frames every time I pop by, but also having immediate access to new derailleur hangers!

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 at 16:50 Quote
Oh damn, hope you will be ok...Brused organs cn be very dangerous,, did my spleen a couple years ago, was sick for at least a month.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007622
Mobile Version of Website