Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Nov 11, 2020 at 16:45 Quote
gsspirit wrote:
Darn COVED I just found out my build is in hold until February over a fork. To top it off I just sold my Meta HT. Lots of time will be spent on the gravel bike this winter. I need to buy a HT to tide me over LOL.
That sucks.... You still have squish bike though ?

O+
Posted: Nov 11, 2020 at 17:23 Quote
slaker wrote:
gsspirit wrote:
Darn COVED I just found out my build is in hold until February over a fork. To top it off I just sold my Meta HT. Lots of time will be spent on the gravel bike this winter. I need to buy a HT to tide me over LOL.
That sucks.... You still have squish bike though ?

That is true, and it will come out in the slop for long rides but I really like having a HT for short sloppy winter daily rides. Of course HTs are fun year round but normally the FS hibernates in winter.

Posted: Nov 12, 2020 at 16:04 Quote
Any of you fine gentlemen use a roof rack with your Rootdowns? Looking at buying a car and the woman I'm buying from is throwing in a couple Thule Upride racks and I'm wondering if they're long enough for the wheelbase.

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2020 at 16:08 Quote
piman wrote:
Any of you fine gentlemen use a roof rack with your Rootdowns? Looking at buying a car and the woman I'm buying from is throwing in a couple Thule Upride racks and I'm wondering if they're long enough for the wheelbase.

I can't say for a roof rack but my Rootdown on my Yakima hitch mount barely fits. The wheelbase is loooonngg.

Posted: Nov 12, 2020 at 16:14 Quote
I saw the craziest roof rack the other day on a sports car... literally two suction cups, one bolts thru the axle and one straps the rear tire... guy had front on roof and back on the rear window. Damn thing was solid.

Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/SeaSucker-Talon-Bike-Rack-1-Bike/dp/B00APVN0TC

Posted: Nov 12, 2020 at 16:36 Quote
This your first day?? Those have been out since back when you had hair! Wait. Me too. Dammit.

Posted: Nov 12, 2020 at 16:43 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
This your first day?? Those have been out since back when you had hair! Wait. Me too. Dammit.

who would have invented suctions cup racks?

Posted: Nov 12, 2020 at 16:53 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
SeaSucker??...
turns out...

Posted: Nov 12, 2020 at 16:54 Quote
yup. You need to get out more. Those have been around forever. I remember them on sports cars at Sea Otter.

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2020 at 17:15 Quote
piman wrote:

I did. The Thule was too short for my xl Rootdown, the Yakima I ended up with worked but just barely. If you’re riding a large you should be fine. If I were you, I take the Thules and run. So hard to get those sort of racks right now. They have good resale value

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2020 at 17:31 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I saw the craziest roof rack the other day on a sports car... literally two suction cups, one bolts thru the axle and one straps the rear tire... guy had front on roof and back on the rear window. Damn thing was solid.

Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/SeaSucker-Talon-Bike-Rack-1-Bike/dp/B00APVN0TC

If you’re familiar with the popular mountain bike website called pinkbike.com they did a review of the Seasucker rack a while ago.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-the-power-of-suction-cups-sea-suckers-mini-bomber-bike-rack.html

Posted: Nov 12, 2020 at 17:32 Quote
Boy I need to get out more...

Posted: Nov 12, 2020 at 17:42 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
piman wrote:

I did. The Thule was too short for my xl Rootdown, the Yakima I ended up with worked but just barely. If you’re riding a large you should be fine. If I were you, I take the Thules and run. So hard to get those sort of racks right now. They have good resale value

Yeah I was still gonna take em. Not like she's gonna knock much off the price of the car for a couple racks. Gonna have to sell them from the sounds of it because mine's an xl, but that can go towards the appropriate rack

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2020 at 19:24 Quote
piman wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:
piman wrote:

Yeah I was still gonna take em. Not like she's gonna knock much off the price of the car for a couple racks. Gonna have to sell them from the sounds of it because mine's an xl, but that can go towards the appropriate rack

Most of the racks are 48in long. I think the xl with 2.5in tires is closer to 50in... something to consider. The Yakima Highroad worked well but again was just barely long enough if you slammed the front wheel in and pulled the tray all the way back.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014724
Mobile Version of Website