Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Mar 7, 2017 at 5:47 Quote
photo
photo

Just built this guy up. Is it summer yet??

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2017 at 6:15 Quote
scottie25 wrote:
photo
photo

Just built this guy up. Is it summer yet??

Looking sweet. Dig that fox fork.

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 at 9:09 Quote
fcogrt wrote:
Hello guys, I need your help. I have the option to buy either a Rootdown BA or a Wideangle (both 2017). The thing is that because the country I live in, the Rootdown will cost me about 330 USD more than the Wideangle (which I can buy from Jenson). My problem is, does the Rootdown worth the extra dollars or I should get the Wideangle and save that difference? I need to mention that I really like the Rootdown (theoretically) and I came from a Paradox, so I kinda like how 29ers feel. Thank you!

It really depends on whether you want the 29" wheels or not. Overall they're both super fun bikes. Ive got coworkers and friends with a full range of Chromag frames here that we ride pretty regularly. I don think you could go wrong with either bike.

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 10:43 Quote
Loudpawlz wrote:
As ridden .......

photo

What frame bag is that? Looks good, like a minimalist bikepacking rig Smile

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 20:51 Quote
switchback249 wrote:

It is a JPaks HalfPak. It does make up part of my bikepaking setup, but is also great for day to day riding.

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2017 at 9:05 Quote
 17 Rootdown BA
Da Bears

Here's another '17 Rootdown BA. Took it out on the fatbike trails on the weekend - what a blast!

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2017 at 18:30 Quote
The wait is over, finally!

Shakedown ride on the new Surface today, super stoked with how it came together and absolutely no regrets! Was a bit nervous coming off a 26' to go up to 29" but the Chromag crew got it right, it's a super fun bike that feels agile and nimble still and is perfect for the trails I ride most.

Specs:
2016 Chromag Surface M/L frame
NOBL TR33 wheels w/ NOBL hubs (rebranded Onyx, completely silent and roll like a dream)
- Maxxis Minion DHF 29x2.5 front
- Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4 rear
Rockshox Pike 140mm
Chromag Cutlass bars, Ranger stem, Squarewave grips, Trailmaster LTD seat
XT brakes
KS Lev 150mm dropper
SRAM X1 cranks w/ 34 ring
XTR shifter/derailleur (first time back to Shimano after years of SRAM)
XT 11 sp. cassette

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 6:11 Quote
switchback249 wrote:
Loudpawlz wrote:
As ridden .......

photo

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 6:12 Quote
switchback249 wrote:

Shakedown ride on the new Surface today, super stoked with how it came together and absolutely no regrets! Was a bit nervous coming off a 26' to go up to 29" but the Chromag crew got it right, it's a super fun bike that feels agile and nimble still and is perfect for the trails I ride most.

photo

knocked it outta the park with that one, man. Really nice.

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 13:37 Quote
JesseE wrote:
fcogrt wrote:
Hello guys, I need your help. I have the option to buy either a Rootdown BA or a Wideangle (both 2017). The thing is that because the country I live in, the Rootdown will cost me about 330 USD more than the Wideangle (which I can buy from Jenson). My problem is, does the Rootdown worth the extra dollars or I should get the Wideangle and save that difference? I need to mention that I really like the Rootdown (theoretically) and I came from a Paradox, so I kinda like how 29ers feel. Thank you!

Ugh, tough spot. If you really like 29ers I think you should stick with that. I've looked at these two bikes a lot and the biggest thing for me is the BB height. On the B.A. it's lower, even with 29er hoops. That's huge for me as I always felt the BB height on my 2015 Rootdown was a little tall for my liking. It was, and still is, the same height as the Wideangle and that kinda made it a deal breaker for me. I actually have a confession to make here: I just bought a Honzo, and it was because of the higher centre of gravity. I would have grabbed a B.A. but having to get a pressfit bb and boost hubs and new headset made it way too expensive. My new honzo frame was 600 and I just sold the rootdown for 500. So yeah...
330 extra on a 700USD dollar frame is pretty huge.

Hate to say it, but I'd be looking at other brands, or keep your eye out for sales on Rootdown frames.

ridefreeride wrote:
fcogrt wrote:

It really depends on whether you want the 29" wheels or not. Overall they're both super fun bikes. Ive got coworkers and friends with a full range of Chromag frames here that we ride pretty regularly. I don think you could go wrong with either bike.

Thanks for the answers! It seems that I'll be getting a Rootdown BA finally.

On another topic, does anyone knows if you can use non-boost cranks on the 2017 BA? On the website appears that the max chainring size with boost chainline is 32T, does that mean that with non-boost cranks it will be even smaller?

Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 14:35 Quote
switchback249 wrote:

Specs:
NOBL TR33 wheels w/ NOBL hubs (rebranded Onyx, completely silent and roll like a dream)
Rockshox Pike 140mm
XT brakes
KS Lev 150mm dropper
XT 11 sp. cassette

photo

Great build! Thumbs (and toes) up! tup

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2017 at 15:14 Quote
fcogrt wrote:
JesseE wrote:
fcogrt wrote:

Ugh, tough spot. If you really like 29ers I think you should stick with that. I've looked at these two bikes a lot and the biggest thing for me is the BB height. On the B.A. it's lower, even with 29er hoops. That's huge for me as I always felt the BB height on my 2015 Rootdown was a little tall for my liking. It was, and still is, the same height as the Wideangle and that kinda made it a deal breaker for me. I actually have a confession to make here: I just bought a Honzo, and it was because of the higher centre of gravity. I would have grabbed a B.A. but having to get a pressfit bb and boost hubs and new headset made it way too expensive. My new honzo frame was 600 and I just sold the rootdown for 500. So yeah...
330 extra on a 700USD dollar frame is pretty huge.

Hate to say it, but I'd be looking at other brands, or keep your eye out for sales on Rootdown frames.

ridefreeride wrote:
fcogrt wrote:

Thanks for the answers! It seems that I'll be getting a Rootdown BA finally.

On another topic, does anyone knows if you can use non-boost cranks on the 2017 BA? On the website appears that the max chainring size with boost chainline is 32T, does that mean that with non-boost cranks it will be even smaller?

You can run a 30t chainring with a non-boost setup. Chromag ships the Rootdown BA complete bike with a non- boost chainring for a better chainline..

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 7:27 Quote
switchback249 wrote:

Specs:
Rockshox Pike 140mm
XT brakes
KS Lev 150mm dropper
XT 11 sp. cassette

photo

photo

Nice!!!
Still in love with my '16 Surface, despite lusting a bit after the revised 2017. Agree about Chromag (and Chris? ) getting it right- mine just feels spot on- you will have no regrets about going 29. Will be curious about your ( or others) thoughts on that tire combo as I have been thinking about doing the same ( or maybe 2.35 DHF on front). Running 2.4 Ardent/2.35 Ikon now- fast and more than adequate in most situations, but there were some times last season where that felt a bit lacking.

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2017 at 9:02 Quote
Running tubeless on NOBL TR33
Fr: Magic Mary 2.4 (16psi)
Rr: Ardent 2.25 (18psi)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020829
Mobile Version of Website