Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: May 1, 2021 at 9:48 Quote
rynee wrote:
soloknight6 wrote:
Pandalosi0 wrote:
Where/how did you get a ti Doctahawk?

I bought it from the pink bike classifieds some time ago. It was pretty much a one-off (I think the original owner has another one.) I was told, Chromag doesn't make a Ti Doctahawk officially.

That bike must be the pinnacle of shreddable hardtails! So sad that no production runs are planned.

You're riding it with a mezzer, right?

Yeah, I’ve bugged some of the chromag staff to convince the boss man to make some more Ti doctahawks. I’m
Pretty sure you acquired Clark Lewis’ doctahawk?

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
rynee wrote:
soloknight6 wrote:
Pandalosi0 wrote:

I bought it from the pink bike classifieds some time ago. It was pretty much a one-off (I think the original owner has another one.) I was told, Chromag doesn't make a Ti Doctahawk officially.

That bike must be the pinnacle of shreddable hardtails! So sad that no production runs are planned.

I know its a Chromag thread but have you ever ridden a Ti Switchback ???Wink

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
rynee wrote:
soloknight6 wrote:
Pandalosi0 wrote:

Yeah I like the mezzer a lot, it took me a while to get it dialed in though, so much adjustability on that fork. The doctahawk is really fast downhill, but personally, I think the root down is more shreddable (I feel significantly faster on the doctahawk though, the rootdown just feels better jumping and going through tight singletrack.)

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 10:34 Quote
robbiekane wrote:
rynee wrote:
soloknight6 wrote:

Yeah, I’ve bugged some of the chromag staff to convince the boss man to make some more Ti doctahawks. I’m

If there's enough interest I bet they'd build them. I think the closest you can get to one right now would be the Passila Rämäkkä with the 62-degree head angle, or an over-forked Ti rootdown, I really want to try a Ti root down, I love the steel version. And yes, it was one of Clark's bikes.

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 14:01 Quote
soloknight6 wrote:
robbiekane wrote:
rynee wrote:

If there's enough interest I bet they'd build them. I think the closest you can get to one right now would be the Passila Rämäkkä with the 62-degree head angle, or an over-forked Ti rootdown, I really want to try a Ti root down, I love the steel version. And yes, it was one of Clark's bikes.

Overforked and anglesetted ftw!

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 17:51 Quote
So should we all email Ian inquiring about a Ti Doctahawk??

Posted: May 2, 2021 at 2:32 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
rynee wrote:
soloknight6 wrote:

I know its a Chromag thread but have you ever ridden a Ti Switchback ???Wink

Nope, I've checked out their lineup often in the past years, and quite like the built in the UK tag. Given this, their prices are reasonable. But I haven't had the need for a ti Stanton yet.

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 16:57 Quote
Pandalosi0 wrote:
So should we all email Ian inquiring about a Ti Doctahawk??

Absolutely!

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 17:32 Quote
New here. I just picked up a 2019 Surface, already upgrading some stuff.

Anyone running an angle set on their surface (or any chromag for that matter)? I’d like the hta just a little more slack. I was thinking 63.5 or 64 with a 160 fork. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 20:09 Quote
we’ll get a petition going for the Ti ‘hawk Wink

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 20:10 Quote
Mweinbrecht wrote:

Anyone running an angle set on their surface (or any chromag for that matter)? I’d like the hta just a little more slack. I was thinking 63.5 or 64 with a 160 fork. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

I threw an angle set in my girlfriend’s 2019 to make it 64. My buddy also did the same. Both bumped up their fork to 160 as well. Rode way better

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 20:14 Quote
Slacker hta and steeper sta with the angle set so I can see how that could work great..Also brings down the bb to accommodate the 160 fork.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 14:08 Quote
Nice read, great guy, and a very decent surface ti:

https://nsmb.com/articles/phil-szczepaniaks-mix-wheeled-chromag-surface-ti/

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 14:42 Quote
rynee wrote:
Nice read, great guy, and a very decent surface ti:

https://nsmb.com/articles/phil-szczepaniaks-mix-wheeled-chromag-surface-ti/
Awesome, thanks for the link!

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 16:38 Quote
Mweinbrecht wrote:

Cheers!

I'm running a 1 degree angleset on my 2018 Stylus to bring it to 64, as per the current frames. Made an awesome bike even better!

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009078
Mobile Version of Website