Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: May 10, 2021 at 18:02 Quote
KyRob wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:
Are Kenda tires still a thing ?

@KyRob: I've been running Pinners and Helkats for a bit now. I'll run a pinner/pinner combo in really dry places and Hellkat/Pinner in more mixed conditions.

I really like them. Grip compared to a minion setup is about 9/10 but rolling resistance is much less and they are a lot more predicable. They also seem tougher for the weight. The ATC casing is similar to EXO+ in weight but seems stronger. I've ran ATC casings with no inserts, cushcores, and now tannus tubeless.[/Quote]

@mtnryder-co: Interesting, I haven't used Kenda Tires since I used to hangout with the Tomac crew and get them for free, that was before tubeless mtb tires where a thing.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 7:14 Quote
Hi all - I've just joined to ask a stupid sizing question.

I'm ordering a Rootdown in either L or XL. About me:

6'2"
225 lbs
have a 37" arm (10" shoulder, 27" from edge of shoulder to wrist)

will be riding typical New England rocky and rooty local trails plus an annual trip to Kingdom Trails and a few visits to some closer bike parks each season.

Chromag says either size will work. Was thinking do an XL and use a shorter stem if I feel too stretched out but I'm worried about the standover. Would welcome your input. Thanks!

O+
Posted: May 11, 2021 at 7:41 Quote
twixthills wrote:

6'2"
225 lbs

will be riding typical New England rocky and rooty local trails plus an annual trip to Kingdom Trails and a few visits to some closer bike parks each season.

Chromag says either size will work. Was thinking do an XL and use a shorter stem if I feel too stretched out but I'm worried about the standover. Would welcome your input. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about standover as they're very low slung. I'm 6' and ride a large. I have so much standover that I can run a 210mm dropper post with about an inch of post still showing.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 8:12 Quote
I'm 6'1 with long arms and I ride a large, xl would be too much imo. I recommend the large.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
I don't think there is a right answer. Totally rider preference. I am a shade under 6'3 and have time on both Large and XL and both work really well. My preference is XL. Thats just me. Stand over will be a non-issue on either size.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2021 at 10:52 Quote
to further complicate things...im 6ft, and am on a M/L Surface. fits great, IMO

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 10:59 Quote
I'm an average proportioned 5'8" and also preferred the M/L in both the rootdown and surface 2017-2018 geo, with about 20mm cut of the seat tubes. The M felt cramped for me

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 11:28 Quote
twixthills wrote:

6'2"
225 lbs

Im also 6’2” with long monkey arms. Im on an L rootdown. Riding BC steep and rocky. I was aiming for an xl but chromag persuaded me otherwise. Happy they did, the xl would have been too much of a sled. I run a 210mm dropper with 2” sticking up and a 50mm stem. My full suspension bike is an xl, but i feel the hardtail needs to be easy to toss around. I do not feel cramped at all on the L.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 11:37 Quote
Their frames must run larger in general, Im 5'10" and my medium Surface seems massive compared to my 16.5 Switchback.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 12:10 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
Their frames must run larger in general, Im 5'10" and my medium Surface seems massive compared to my 16.5 Switchback.

yep, i'm 179cm and super happy on my Doctahawk in L

O+
Posted: May 11, 2021 at 13:56 Quote
I'm 5'11" (or 180cm) and always in between Medium and Large for brands. I thought M/L would be a safe ground. Still seems a little long to me. Maybe I'm just old and crabby.

I've always kept with the idea of smaller for fun and larger for stability. It still rings true.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2021 at 15:24 Quote
6'0'' and riding a Large 2019 Rootdown. I have a long torso. Reach feels great. Running a 150 mm Pike up front with a 35mm stem.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2021 at 16:43 Quote
5'11 7/8" if I stand up straight, long arms, L Doctahawk. I dont think it feels long at all! You get used to whatever it is, within reason. Especially with steeper ST angles.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2021 at 19:07 Quote
I'm 5'11 on a ML 2020 Rootdown. Put a 45mm stem on it to stretch out the cockpit a bit. Moving to a L Doctahawk

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019147
Mobile Version of Website