Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: May 31, 2021 at 20:36 Quote

Finally got some 29" wheels on it and all is right with the world.

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 20:49 Quote
gsspirit wrote:

Nice! I love my 3zero’s

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 20:56 Quote
lance-h wrote:
gsspirit wrote:

Nice! I love my 3zero’s

They are the nicest wheel set I have ever owned. I am really digging the instant engagement of the silent onyx hubs too. My steel HT is now my most expensive bike, that is pretty funny.

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 21:10 Quote
gsspirit wrote:
lance-h wrote:
gsspirit wrote:

Nice! I love my 3zero’s

They are the nicest wheel set I have ever owned. I am really digging the instant engagement of the silent onyx hubs too. My steel HT is now my most expensive bike, that is pretty funny.

Mine too

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 9:21 Quote
My dropper post (Shimano/Pro) is seized in my Primer frame. I’ve soaked it upside down in penetrating oil for a week now and still no movement. Sprayed the oil from the water bottle boss.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
rnayel wrote:
My dropper post (Shimano/Pro) is seized in my Primer frame. I’ve soaked it upside down in penetrating oil for a week now and still no movement. Sprayed the oil from the water bottle boss.

any suggestions?

Thanks

I’m sure you’ve done some googling, but this has some tips - https://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

Tip #9 suggests that penetrating oil does little for aluminum oxide, suggesting that you use ammonia or Drano instead.

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 18:38 Quote
rnayel wrote:

any suggestions?

Thanks

How large of a pipe wrench have you tried?

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 7:39 Quote
Hello everyone

I have finally received my rootdown frame. This is my first bike build so I have a few questions.

so far I have the frame, a set of hunt enduro wheels, shamino xt brake set and rotors, xt cassette.

I am trying to get the rest of the drivetrain parts but no one seems to have shamino cranks. I am thinking of a set of race face ride or affect crankset as they are available. They have smaller 24mm spindles so the BB bearings will be bigger and possibly last longer. Am I correct in this thinking?

Finally what are people running for front travel? Forks are hard to get right now but I have seen quite a few 170mm forks come up. I am on Vancouver island and ride mostly black trails.

Thanks

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 7:54 Quote
Yeah, bottom brackets should last longer with the 24 mm spindle cranks.

A 160 fork feels pretty good on the Rootdown. Most forks can have the travel adjusted by swapping ~$50 air spring parts. The bike was designed around a 160 fork, but +/- 10 mm could ride okay, so you could try the 170 fork first before making changes.

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 8:38 Quote
Raceface aeffect cranks are solid and I believe they work well with shimano bb.

I’m on a rootdown with a 170mm fork. Tried 160 for a moment and went back to the 170. Just more fun riding it with the bigger travel fork. Like the guy above says, you can always lower travel if you want. It’s about a 2 beer job and only about. $50-75 to pull off. Both rockshox and fox have made it easy to do in a home shop.

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 10:01 Quote
+1 vote for 170mm fork.

What was shipping like for hunt wheels to canada?

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 14:46 Quote
Thanks all for the reply’s I picked up a used lyric 170mm fork

The shipping on the hunt wheels wasn’t bad at $39 but the import duty was a tick over $100. They seem to be well built but we will see how they ride soon.

Posted: Jun 8, 2021 at 10:24 Quote
Nrsmith1 wrote:

Finally what are people running for front travel? Forks are hard to get right now but I have seen quite a few 170mm forks come up. I am on Vancouver island and ride mostly black trails.

Thanks

I bought a 170mm Lyrik on PB as it was available and originally planned to put a 160mm air spring in it. But it felt good as is so I've left it at 170mm. I ride similar trails to you, mostly black and easier double black here in Squamish. You'll probably like the longer fork

Posted: Jun 8, 2021 at 10:26 Quote
Nrsmith1 wrote:
Thanks all for the reply’s I picked up a used lyric 170mm fork.

If it has the old pre 2020 air spring I would recommend getting the upgrade kit. It helps the fork ride higher in its travel which makes a lot of sense on a hardtail

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007662
Mobile Version of Website