Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 17:00 Quote
rynee wrote:
New Surface Voyager, finally with sliding dropouts!
https://chromagbikes.com/collections/29/products/surface-voyager

They are proud of that thing $,$$$ Confused

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 17:25 Quote
Nah Jesse. You're spot on. I have sliding dropouts on my '15 Explosif and love them. It's why I won't give up that lead weight of a Schwinn Varsity type bike. I can take it from playful to stable with just the slide of a dropout. It really is nice and I'd thought it was the one thing Chromags were missing. But these 2021 prices everywhere are just absurd. MTB is even pricing out the lower affluent it used to embrace. My bikes are just going to have to last that much longer or I'm going to have to start collecting cans on trash days or I have to find someone to manage on Onlyfans.

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 21:14 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
rynee wrote:

I could see paying $475 CAD to take a primer and have it modified in production to have sliding dropouts and some extra rack mounts and stuff.

If you just price out dropouts from a framebuilders supply you might see what I mean.

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 21:21 Quote
husstler wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:
rynee wrote:

I could see paying $475 CAD to take a primer and have it modified in production to have sliding dropouts and some extra rack mounts and stuff.

If you just price out dropouts from a framebuilders supply you might see what I mean.

But what is the current price on a Primer frame ? Maybe I am mistaking but I thought I saw the Surface price at $2,100.00

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 20:05 Quote
My Surface is feeling pretty sure footed with a new 2.5 Assegai up front and 2.5 DHF out back...also really want to try an angle set on this bike..

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 7:15 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:
My Surface is feeling pretty sure footed with a new 2.5 Assegai up front and 2.5 DHF out back...also really want to try an angle set on this bike..

I put a -1 on my rootdown BA and it’s been great. Sitting at 64 measured.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 7:22 Quote
That combo of tire is awesome. Assegai has become my go to front tire for sure. Next time around though I’m going to be getting maxxgrip exo+ Vs the maxxterra.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 7:32 Quote
The Assegai in Maxxgrip is pretty awesome for sure. The new Specialized Butcher in the T9 rubber is every bit as good though. A massive step up from their previous tires.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 7:49 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
The Assegai in Maxxgrip is pretty awesome for sure. The new Specialized Butcher in the T9 rubber is every bit as good though. A massive step up from their previous tires.
Ive been hearing about the Specialized tires...Have they improved the casing ?? do they have anything comparable or tougher than Maxxis DD ??My rear tire of choice has been the DD Aggressor but I have pinched three of them in the last 6 months,I don't run that low of psi in the rear but sending it through chunk shit just happens...

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 7:53 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
That combo of tire is awesome. Assegai has become my go to front tire for sure. Next time around though I’m going to be getting maxxgrip exo+ Vs the maxxterra.
I imagine where you are at the maxgrip is key with all the wet roots and all, I ran a max grip dd in the front a couple winters ago and it was amazing for grip on icy snowy wet rock .. then I put it out back in the summer and was the only rear tire that I have ever ran until it was completely worn out with out pinching.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 7:56 Quote
Right now one one of my bikes I'm running the T9 Butcher on the front and the T7 Eliminator on the back. The Eliminator is fine but I likely wouldn't go for it again. The casings seem tough to me. I run moderately low tire pressures and haven't had any real issues. A buddy of mine works for Specialized and has shown me some new stuff coming out. They're certainly putting a big focus on tires now and there's some great stuff on the way. And you can't beat the price.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Right now one one of my bikes I'm running the T9 Butcher on the front and the T7 Eliminator on the back. The Eliminator is fine but I likely wouldn't go for it again. The casings seem tough to me. I run moderately low tire pressures and haven't had any real issues. A buddy of mine works for Specialized and has shown me some new stuff coming out. They're certainly putting a big focus on tires now and there's some great stuff on the way. And you can't beat the price.
Yeah, definitely their price is right, Im am totally looking forward for someone to come out with a pretty much trouble free mtb tire set up without having to spend 165.00. per tire on tire plus cushcore setup which still is not trouble free.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
Totally agree with you on the cost point. It’s insane that my car tires cost the same each as my bikes.

I tried the older specialized tires back In the day and tore the beads off of them on the second ride making them unusable. Not a lot of support. But that was 3+ years ago. Then new ones look better.

I’m on the tannus tubeless setup now on my rootdown. It has been a game changer for pressure and grip. Easy to install and immediately noticeable in a positive fashion. Do recommend them.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 10:27 Quote
mtnryder-co wrote:

I have a works 1.5 degree angle set waiting to go on my surface. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet because I’m worried that it will be too slack with the 170mm fork. Thoughts?

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 12:27 Quote
Mweinbrecht wrote:
mtnryder-co wrote:

I have a works 1.5 degree angle set waiting to go on my surface. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet because I’m worried that it will be too slack with the 170mm fork. Thoughts?
It should put it close to the latest aggressive geo by lowering bb a tad, steepen sta and slacken front while losing a tiny bit of reach, for me it would be ok with all that seeing my Surface feels pretty big...I think it could be good depending on what trails you are using it for.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007943
Mobile Version of Website