Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Sep 27, 2021 at 8:51 Quote
robbiekane wrote:
I went from EX511s to WeAreOne Unions back to my EX511s. The WeAreOnes were too stiff for me. Where I live we have long rowdy downhills. I could only bare a half dozen rides on the WeAreOnes until I couldn’t take the abuse anymore. My feet, knees and body hurt with the stiff wheels. The day I knew the wheels were too stiff was when I went for the big drop I only do about 3 times a year. It was wayyy too harsh. Went back to my EX511’s and was instantly way happier. Now, if I were riding a FS bikes I would no doubt ride WeAreOnes but I’ll be running the HT for way longer

Exactly my experience. I have nothing but great things to say about WeAreOnes but I’m back to Chromag BA 30 rims. I’m a big guy and on both steel and Ti I found the carbon wheels too stiff. I really wanted to love them but personally notice a significant difference.

Posted: Sep 27, 2021 at 13:00 Quote
Well if there’s a chance Unions would be too stiff, that makes things harder. I have been noticing some mysterious occasional flex in the rear the last few months, and I would say my current wheels are not stiff (despite never needing a true in 18 months) and they could be stiffer, makes sense if they’re a cheaper 28 hole wheelset. But this is also my only 29” bike so I don’t have any experience with 29” EX511, 29” carbon or even 29” 32h, I’ve probably never even felt a wheel that was too stiff before (only time I ever remember a rim being too stiff was a 26” sun doubletrack a decade ago)
I can currently afford a stupid expense like Union/Hydras, just thinking whether it’s worth it or if I should just go EX511 and spend the extra $350-per-hoop difference on something else, like I dunno, X01 cassette (my GX has a broken tooth) or 4-piston brakes or Z1 coil kit or something

Also I’m 180lbs, using no inserts

Posted: Sep 27, 2021 at 15:12 Quote
2 piston brakes should be the first to go there! Or fixing your cassette …

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 15:50 Quote
fewnofrwgijn wrote:
Well if there’s a chance Unions would be too stiff, that makes things harder. I have been noticing some mysterious occasional flex in the rear the last few months, and I would say my current wheels are not stiff (despite never needing a true in 18 months) and they could be stiffer, makes sense if they’re a cheaper 28 hole wheelset. But this is also my only 29” bike so I don’t have any experience with 29” EX511, 29” carbon or even 29” 32h, I’ve probably never even felt a wheel that was too stiff before (only time I ever remember a rim being too stiff was a 26” sun doubletrack a decade ago)
I can currently afford a stupid expense like Union/Hydras, just thinking whether it’s worth it or if I should just go EX511 and spend the extra $350-per-hoop difference on something else, like I dunno, X01 cassette (my GX has a broken tooth) or 4-piston brakes or Z1 coil kit or something

I'm another one who found found Unions a bit too harsh on my rootdown.

My favorite 29" wheels for the rooty are OEM DT M1900s (28h M502 rim) paired with cushcore.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 16:00 Quote
2socks wrote:
fewnofrwgijn wrote:

I'm another one who found found Unions a bit too harsh on my rootdown.

My favorite 29" wheels for the rooty are OEM DT M1900s (28h M502 rim) paired with cushcore.

Ive been running SC Reserves on my Surface and Switchback for some years now.... I must just be good for taking a beating because they don't bother me at all , They can take rim strikes all day long and don't crack or go out of true, Main reason I run them ,I'm hard on shit.. Before those I was replacing rear hoops a few times a year....

Ive heard from other riders that the Zipp Moto's have great dampening qualities....would like to try some other wheels down the road... maybe those

Posted: Sep 30, 2021 at 12:01 Quote
soloknight6 wrote:

I love this bike. The forward body position the bike puts you in weighs down the front end, taking the sharp impacts from rock gardens out of my feet. I need to get some better pictures of it, with an actual camera.

Expertfailure, the Rootdown is HOT. I love the logo-less look, especially on the tires! I used spraypaint on mine, but it faded after a few rides, I'm gonna try the colorbond stuff next time.

Hey Soloknight6... what are those bars?

They remind me of my old Bontrager crowbars... which incidentally are still on my old rocky Blizzard.

Posted: Oct 1, 2021 at 11:15 Quote
That bar & that frame, yes please.

Posted: Oct 6, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
Those are "The LoMoTo" handlebars from Myth Cycles. It looks like they have some in stock:

https://mythcycles.com/product/lomoto-handlebar/

Posted: Oct 6, 2021 at 15:25 Quote
soloknight6 wrote:
Those are "The LoMoTo" handlebars from Myth Cycles. It looks like they have some in stock:

Whoa their slaypnir frame looks amazing!

https://mythcycles.com/bikes/slaypnir/

Posted: Oct 11, 2021 at 10:05 Quote
soloknight6 wrote:

Very nice... thanks for the link!

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 13:19 Quote
Wow, what a cool forum, so much great Rootdown info here.... I just ordered a '22 Rootdown and should hopefully have it in Dec (their paint factory in Taiwan burnt down apparently!!!). Havent ridden a hardtail since the 90's. Ride a yeti sb130 FS but wanted a hardtail as well, originally wanted a lighter weight slacked out hardtail but came across the Rootdown n couldnt resist. Live in Marin County, California, cant wait to see how this bike does on singletrack we have here... Bought the standard 29er build from Chromag (boring but dont have a ton of time to spec out a new build)... but gonna switch out the sram brakes for XT ones, put a cushcore in the back and thats about it. Curious to see if i prefer this hardtail for the longer rides compared to the sb130?? Will post again with my thoughts...

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 8:18 Quote
@asell you're gonna end up on your Rootdown more often than not. Just wait. These new hardtails are fun! Definitely not your 90's hardtail.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
chezotron wrote:
@asell you're gonna end up on your Rootdown more often than not. Just wait. These new hardtails are fun! Definitely not your 90's hardtail.

Very cool, gotta say, i am more excited and intrigued by this bike than most of my last few.... they sure do look stunning n people rave about the handling/capability.. I follow a DH pro on strava sponsored by Transition and he rides his Rootdown more than his various Transition FS bikes on rowdy trails, that was what made me think, what is this bike???!!!

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 9:12 Quote
asell75 wrote:
chezotron wrote:

Very cool, gotta say, i am more excited and intrigued by this bike than most of my last few.... they sure do look stunning n people rave about the handling/capability.. I follow a DH pro on strava sponsored by Transition and he rides his Rootdown more than his various Transition FS bikes on rowdy trails, that was what made me think, what is this bike???!!!

Everybody here will back me up but for the most part our FS bikes end up gathering dust. I grew up riding pre-suspension and then moved into a lovely Mag 21 on hardtail and have been all over the board. I grab either my Explosif or Surface any time I ride now. And it doesn't kill my back either! You'll love it! Just make sure to show everybody or it doesn't exist.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 9:32 Quote
chezotron wrote:
asell75 wrote:
chezotron wrote:

Everybody here will back me up but for the most part our FS bikes end up gathering dust. I grew up riding pre-suspension and then moved into a lovely Mag 21 on hardtail and have been all over the board. I grab either my Explosif or Surface any time I ride now. And it doesn't kill my back either! You'll love it! Just make sure to show everybody or it doesn't exist.

Except for me cause at 57 years old I still have not owned a FS bike yet....

Active Forum Threads
2 mins ago - SSD Chemical for Defaced Notes in South Africa +27735257866 Zambia,Zimbabwe,Botswana,Lesotho,Swaziland,Kenya
3 mins ago - Ssd Super Automatic Solution in South Africa +27735257866 Zambia,Zimbabwe,Botswana,Lesotho,Swaziland
4 mins ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
4 mins ago - DX-1 SSD Solution and Activation Powder in South Africa +27735257866 Zambia,Zimbabwe,Botswana,Lesotho
6 mins ago - Black Money Cleaning SSD Chemicals suppliers +27735257866 in South Africa,Zambia,Zimbabwe,Botswana
6 mins ago - Trek Slash 2021 ?
7 mins ago - Burnaby Biking
10 mins ago - Crank question…need a little help
32 mins ago - All Things Meta 29er!
38 mins ago - Osta gamma-butyrolaktoni GBL verkossa, Osta fenyyliasetoni verkosta, (BMX)
38 mins ago - Kjøp gamma-butyrolakton GBL online, kjøp fenylaceton online, kjøp GBL online, (BMX)
38 mins ago - Cumpărați gamma butirolactonă GBL online, Cumpărați fenilacetonă online, (BMX)
39 mins ago - Køb gamma butyrolacton GBL online, Køb Phenylacetone online, Køb GBL online, (BMX)
39 mins ago - Nakupujte gama butyrolakton GBL online, Nakupujte fenylaceton online, (BMX)
39 mins ago - Kup gamma butyrolakton GBL online, Kup fenyloaceton online, Kup GBL online, (BMX)
39 mins ago - Köp gamma-butyrolakton GBL online, Köp fenylaceton online, köp GBL online, (BMX)
40 mins ago - Compre gamma butirolactona GBL en línea, compre fenilacetona en línea, (BMX)
40 mins ago - Compre gama butirolactona GBL online, compre fenilacetona online, compre GBL online, (BMX)
41 mins ago - Acquista gamma butirrolattone GBL online, Acquista fenilacetone online, Acquista GBL online, (BMX)
41 mins ago - Gamma-Butyrolacton GBL online kaufen, Phenylaceton online kaufen, GBL online kaufen, (BMX)
42 mins ago - Acheter du gamma butyrolactone GBL en ligne, Acheter de la phénylacétone en ligne, (BMX)
42 mins ago - Koop gamma-butyrolacton GBL online, Koop Fenylaceton online, Koop GBL online, Koop GHB online, (BMX)
42 mins ago - Buy gamma butyrolactone GBL online, Buy Phenylacetone online, Buy GBL online, (BMX)
43 mins ago - Osta botox -injektio verkossa, osta bocouture verkossa, osta dysport -ratkaisuja verkosta,
46 mins ago - Kjøp botox -injeksjon online, kjøp bocouture online, kjøp dysportløsninger online,

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005998
Mobile Version of Website