Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 13:48 Quote
Man, hardtailing hurts on choppy trails, especially my feet after switching to flats. My 43 year old back is pretty good, though. I was hardtail all the time on smoother trails, but now with rockier lumps everywhere, I save the HT for the 'smoother' trails, haha. 150mm out back has spoiled me!

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 17:17 Quote
Hi gang! Deciding between ML and L for a Rootdown order for spring. What are your heights and sizes your all riding? I’m 5’10.5, aggressive rider.
Thanks!
PS- wicked builds posted in this forum!

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 17:39 Quote
paulinator wrote:
Hi gang! Deciding between ML and L for a Rootdown order for spring. What are your heights and sizes your all riding? I’m 5’10.5, aggressive rider.
Thanks!

This isn't the most helpful but I think you could go either way. Go ML if you want a shorter wheelbase and a more playful bike, and L if you want more stability at the expense of some quickness. I don't think either would feel too big or too small. It comes down to preference.

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 18:48 Quote
paulinator wrote:
Thanks!

I am 6'2 and comfortable on a large. I am a pretty aggressive rider and have ridden a lot of what the Northeast has to offer and haven't given it a second thought. I would imagine it depends a lot on what you are coming from though and what your preferences are. Cheers!

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 20:03 Quote
I’m 6’0” and I got the large 2020 rootdown, and while it fits well with a stretched out riding style, I definitely wouldn’t want it any bigger at 490mm reach, and I’m sure I’d be happy on a M/L too. If I was an inch shorter I’d probably want the M/L, unless you’re already very used to massive reaches

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 14:59 Quote
paulinator wrote:
Thanks!

Hey there, I'm 179cm and on a large doctahawk. Super happy with it. I ride both fast and slow/technical steep stuff, jumps and drops with it. I bought the frame used without a possibility to test ride it, and came from a large 2016 honzo (ca 4cm shorter reach)... No regrets.

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 15:03 Quote
6’0” tall and riding a 2020 large Rootdown. I guess I could ride a ML but I really love the longer geometry for technical trails.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 23:19 Quote
paulinator wrote:
Thanks!

i’m your exact height and while not apples to apples i had a ML wideangle and wouldn’t have wanted it bigger at all

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 3:37 Quote
I had a 17 m/l Rootdown and it was perfect. I’m 5’11. They are a different geometry than anything I’ve ever ridden so the cockpit feels weird at first but one you’re used to it they are a lot of fun

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 20:46 Quote
I'm 5'8"/ 173cm, just bought a Medium Stylus, a little worried it is too small. Still in the building process so no rides on it yet. Putting a 175mm dropper on it with 760mm bars and 35mm stem with mullet setup.

Anyone else 5'8"ish on a Medium? Thoughts?

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 21:16 Quote
jtmtb82 wrote:
I'm 5'8"/ 173cm, just bought a Medium Stylus, a little worried it is too small. Still in the building process so no rides on it yet. Putting a 175mm dropper on it with 760mm bars and 35mm stem with mullet setup.

Anyone else 5'8"ish on a Medium? Thoughts?

Depends on what style of riding you do. If you’re a jibber then the medium is fine. If you’re a charger then it would be too small.

I ran a medium Primer for over a year. Had a ton of fun on it. Now I run a M/L doctahawk. Probably would run a M/L primer if I went back

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 21:45 Quote
I’m 5’8” and ride a medium Primer. I have a big, smashy full suspension so I appreciate the agility of the medium hardtail. I previously had a M/L Rootdown and also thought it was good, though definitely more stable and less agile.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 22:00 Quote
One to many choices for an average height person if you ask me....My Surface is a medium and feels just about right for my 5'9ish stature. maybe a little big compared to my 16.5 Stanton hardtails...but its running wagon wheels....

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 5:18 Quote
It' funny how different riders preferences are. I'm 5ft10 and ride a M/L wideangle. I think it's a good fit for me and my preference for rather tight steep trails. But when I let them built my singlespeed Samurai I went down in reach, standover a tad and that makes it an even better fit without making it unstable for me by any means.

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 7:26 Quote
I”m 6 feet and have owned a few Rootdowns and Surfaces in both ML a a L. Even at 6 feet I was good on both sizes. As others have mentioned it really is all about the terrain you ride and what you want out of the bike. If you plan to pedal fire roads or take lift access up, and the terrain is gnarly on the way down the longer bike will keep things calmer. On the flip side, if you have undulating terrain with lots of pedalling and tight turns, the ML would have the edge in terms of being nimble, and potentially more comfortable when seated pedalling. I did find that on flatter terrain when seated pedalling the longer bike I was less comfortable due to the forward position putting a little more weight on the hands.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014345
Mobile Version of Website