Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 16:23 Quote
Can you bring it to your local shop? Some have a bunch of bags in stock and I’d rather test fit a thing like that. I think the typical top tube length of most models of Chromag is going to be a fair bit different than your standard kind of bike that has a frame bag.

Though I am fussy enough I bought a sewing machine and some materials and started building my own bags …

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 5:25 Quote
husstler wrote:
Though I am fussy enough I bought a sewing machine and some materials and started building my own bags …

sweet..! my wife gave away our sewing machine years and years ago... man, was I pissed...!

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 20:43 Quote
PZub wrote:
I'm wanting to try some bikepacking with my Surface ('16). Before I pull the trigger on a frame bag, I'm looking for advice as to which bags will definitely work on a size large frame? I don't want to be selling it next week saying, "I bought the wrong size, it doesn't fit my bike"...

I think some of the Revelate offerings would work. For sure the Tangle (half frame bag) is a solid option but the Ranger will probably fit as well since they are quite versatile. And the '16 models aren't crazy long yet so you're probably good!

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 4:37 Quote
They are a bit on the expensive side but look up raquelle_ludvvig on Instagram. She does custom bags and has made a few for Rootdowns before. She can take measurements and has a bunch of different options so I am sure a Surface will be no issue. Support small business and you get a sweet framebag!

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 17:01 Quote
Working on putting in some longer mixed rides on the Primer. This picture is from Jan 13 2022 around 8200ft / 2500m. The start to this winter has been so warm with so many dry riding days. The more I ride this bike the more I realize it can do just about everything I need it to around here.

Jan 13th 2022 no ice the whole ride

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 17:26 Quote
gsspirit wrote:
Working on putting in some longer mixed rides on the Primer. This picture is from Jan 13 2022 around 8200ft / 2500m. The start to this winter has been so warm with so many dry riding days. The more I ride this bike the more I realize it can do just about everything I need it to around here.

Jan 13th 2022 no ice the whole ride
I actually prefer the winter riding in our area more than summer now as the temps are absolutely perfect in the winter and trails in better condition over all, I dread the 90 degree day of summer anymore...Couldn't ask for better riding conditions last few months except some moisture would would be great.... Rootdown frame showed up today already, haven't even unboxed it yet, been knocking out continuing education classes to keep my plumbing license open.... new requirements, guess its a good thing since I haven't took a plumbing test since 1987 when I first got my master license. Joy !

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 17:41 Quote
Slackerdude wrote:
gsspirit wrote:

I actually prefer the winter riding in our area more than summer now as the temps are absolutely perfect in the winter and trails in better condition over all, I dread the 90 degree day of summer anymore...Couldn't ask for better riding conditions last few months except some moisture would would be great.... Rootdown frame showed up today already, haven't even unboxed it yet, been knocking out continuing education classes to keep my plumbing license open.... new requirements, guess its a good thing since I haven't took a plumbing test since 1987 when I first got my master license. Joy !

You are right some stuff has been way too dry for far too long. Congrats on the new bike, I look forward to seeing pictures of it in the mountains.

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 18:44 Quote
gsspirit wrote:
Slackerdude wrote:
gsspirit wrote:

You are right some stuff has been way too dry for far too long. Congrats on the new bike, I look forward to seeing pictures of it in the mountains.

I am eager to get some dirt on it Beer

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2022 at 12:24 Quote
PZub wrote:
I'm wanting to try some bikepacking with my Surface ('16). Before I pull the trigger on a frame bag, I'm looking for advice as to which bags will definitely work on a size large frame? I don't want to be selling it next week saying, "I bought the wrong size, it doesn't fit my bike"...

Try the guys at HMPL...custom, and you won't have a hard time selling the bag in BC if you decide backpacking, or bikepacking on the Surface isn't the ideal set up for you.

In fact, if you try it, and it doesn't work out, I'll buy it from you...if you do it this year. I have a bike packing rig, also have a Surface, but considering converting the Surface to a rowdy-bikecamping bike.

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 4:07 Quote
I know that there has been discussion on tires before in this thread. However, just wanted to pick people's brains. I am currently running DHF 2.5's in the front and rear. I also have CushCore in the rear. In an effort to decrease rolling resistance is there any benefit to 2.4's or should I consider other areas? Any advice helps!

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 6:19 Quote
Not what you asked, but two sets of wheels (or at least a second rear wheel) where one rolls fast/light and one grips/burly seems to work a treat for me.

Sounds odd because of the aggressive geometry and long fork, but my Doctahawk is very versatile especially with some ability to tailor the tires to the trails.

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 7:03 Quote
I usually have a "summer" tire which has much smaller knobs. Right now, it's a Bontrager XR4. I suppose it depends on your level of cornering needs. Otherwise, for fallwinterspring in the Northwet, I can run my TRS tires on both ends for full on monster trucking. Personally, I've always wanted the front tire to be the stable one and the rear to roll faster.

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 7:19 Quote
I've really been enjoying the Assegai 2.5 on the front and DHR 2.4 on the back. I used to go with a semi-slick in the summer but haven't bothered for the past couple years. I find a snappy light-ish wheelset makes up for the sluggish feeling of a chunkier rear tire on climbs and more pedally sections.

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 7:34 Quote
trioofchaos wrote:
I know that there has been discussion on tires before in this thread. However, just wanted to pick people's brains. I am currently running DHF 2.5's in the front and rear. I also have CushCore in the rear. In an effort to decrease rolling resistance is there any benefit to 2.4's or should I consider other areas? Any advice helps!

Tires are pretty subjective and terrain dependant, but on my Rootdown I'm using an Assegai Maxxgrip 2.5 front and Dissector Maxxterra 2.4 rear. Both EXO+, and Cushcore on the rear. I like this combo, though a bit more volume on the rear would be nice. FWIW I'm pretty light and almost never get flats.

I have a FS bike also, and have been using a Maxxgrip DD DHR2 rear on that along with an Assegai on the front. Really like this, but it's definitely slower.

I've always felt that DHFs are pretty fast rolling, depending on what casing and compound you're using. If you want even faster rolling I wouldn't look for a smaller tire but instead a different tread pattern. Maybe the XC crowd can chime in?

O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 7:35 Quote
I’m lazy so…but I do have a high roller 2.5 on the rootdown right now, it’s a pig but super good for the trails currently (sloppy) but for the summer months I have an aggressor to swap out to in 2.5. I may go back to only a DHR 2.4 down the road. But at this point I’m interested in the maxxgrip for my assegai front tire.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014931
Mobile Version of Website