Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 6:17 Quote
Thanks for the input! Definitely going to be looking at a 2.4 dhr for the summer months then and probably keep the same up front.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 19:46 Quote
Is anyone running a 140 fork on their Rootdown or Primer?

I am looking to further differentiate my Primer from my full-suspension all-mountain bike and have already gone with a lighter rear wheel and faster tire. I’m thinking dropping the fork travel would speed up the handling and increase efficiency. Plus I’ve been hitting the indoor dirt jumps all winter on a dirt jump bike and have come to appreciate the direct and responsive ride of it.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 20:17 Quote
DMal wrote:

I am looking to further differentiate my Primer from my full-suspension all-mountain bike and have already gone with a lighter rear wheel and faster tire. I’m thinking dropping the fork travel would speed up the handling and increase efficiency. Plus I’ve been hitting the indoor dirt jumps all winter on a dirt jump bike and have come to appreciate the direct and responsive ride of it.

Might as well try it! You might be whacking your pedals a bunch with a bottom bracket that low. You’ll never know unless you try

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 20:40 Quote
DMal wrote:

I ride mine at 150 with zero issues. I bet if you add some extra pressure in your fork at 140 you would be OK... you never know unless you try

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 9:13 Quote
robbiekane wrote:
DMal wrote:

Might as well try it! You might be whacking your pedals a bunch with a bottom bracket that low. You’ll never know unless you try

i ran a 140mm Pike on both my Surfaces for years. only just upped to a 150mm Lyrik...and...meh.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 10:11 Quote
vonP wrote:
robbiekane wrote:
DMal wrote:

i ran a 140mm Pike on both my Surfaces for years. only just upped to a 150mm Lyrik...and...meh.

What's meh about it?

The Surface is fairly different geometry-wise from the current Primer/Rootdown.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 12:04 Quote
DMal wrote:
vonP wrote:
robbiekane wrote:

What's meh about it?

With sag I imagine the sta would be radically steep.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 17:50 Quote
Slackerdude wrote:
DMal wrote:
vonP wrote:

What's meh about it?

With sag I imagine the sta would be radically steep.

You're also going to see a really low stack and maybe need to run some riser bars and/or a lot of spacers. FWIW I put a 170mm Lyrik on my Rootdown because it was what I had, and I really like it this way

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 20:21 Quote
I had a Z1 coil on my Doctahawk last summer. Was a good fork for experiments like this.

Switch some spacers around and it could be 150, 160, or 170mm travel. I tried it at all three and liked 170 - mostly because the spring rate worked the best at that travel. But, the bike itself felt just fine at all the travel settings!

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 21:28 Quote
husstler wrote:
I had a Z1 coil on my Doctahawk last summer. Was a good fork for experiments like this.

Switch some spacers around and it could be 150, 160, or 170mm travel. I tried it at all three and liked 170 - mostly because the spring rate worked the best at that travel. But, the bike itself felt just fine at all the travel settings!

I’m running 160 currently on the rootdown with the Zeb. Will be going back to 170 soon but want to get a luftkappe or what ever it is called from vorsprung. I had one on my pike back in the day and it was lovely. If I could get a spring setup for my weight, I’d convert the Zeb to coil. That’d be a hoot!

Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 8:37 Quote
Deleted question off to ride instead.

Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 21:25 Quote
gsspirit wrote:

Got my Rootdown all built up just as winter decided to make an appearance so its been just sitting in my living room looking pretty and i have been up in the hills snowboarding since the snow has been great, I wont be able to get a ride in this week cause of work but curious where you are riding since the storm last week ???,

Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 6:30 Quote
Slackerdude wrote:
gsspirit wrote:

Got my Rootdown all built up just as winter decided to make an appearance so its been just sitting in my living room looking pretty and i have been up in the hills snowboarding since the snow has been great, I wont be able to get a ride in this week cause of work but curious where you are riding since the storm last week ???,

man, where's you good snow? Our sucks right now!

Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 6:40 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Slackerdude wrote:
gsspirit wrote:

Same here. Shitttyyy snow. Been a strange snow season. Late openings, like mid December for the vast majority of Washington mountains. Then huge snow falls (4-5ft in 36rs) so all passes close. My local pass right by the house was closed for 10days. Then as soon as it opens, rain and 40-50deg temps. Now it’s been switching between snow and rain. I want another powder day

Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 7:08 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Slackerdude wrote:

Same here. Shitttyyy snow. Been a strange snow season. Late openings, like mid December for the vast majority of Washington mountains. Then huge snow falls (4-5ft in 36rs) so all passes close. My local pass right by the house was closed for 10days. Then as soon as it opens, rain and 40-50deg temps. Now it’s been switching between snow and rain. I want another powder day

late open here too, then super cold, now spring time and sunny yesterday. I haven't have a good pow day since mid december! Shit or get off the pot mother nature! That or lemme have snowfree trails.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008993
Mobile Version of Website