Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 6:12 Quote
If I was paying a premium and had issues like these I'd want an exchange. I don't really get spending all the extra money to have it handmade here vs handmade in Taiwan unless there is a significant effect on ride quality. The custom paint part, that might make it worth it, though!

Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 8:44 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
If I was paying a premium and had issues like these I'd want an exchange. I don't really get spending all the extra money to have it handmade here vs handmade in Taiwan unless there is a significant effect on ride quality. The custom paint part, that might make it worth it, though!

My buddy loves his hawk but he did question Chromag's (QC) for the same reasons you mention.

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 10:20 Quote
Figured it out. Nothing a little PB blaster can't fix! My cranks have never spun as freely as they should, but it isn't noticeable when riding.

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 10:26 Quote
Yeah. Press fit BB's are not my favourite. The lie that the bike industry used to sell them is very annoying. My Rootdown BB is also loose on one side. I do not believe that you can have reasonable balls in the BB with a press fit and a large spindle, like Dub or 30mm. Not enough space. So I run Shimano Cranks, which have a much smaller, steel spindle. They also use a plastic BB which seems cheesy, but I have just put my second one in after 3 years. And it never creaks.

Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 19:19 Quote
Rootdown & Surface for the thread Beer

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 19:54 Quote
Slackerdude wrote:
My buddy loves his hawk but he did question Chromag's (QC) for the same reasons you mention.

I've mentioned this in the past, but I had occasional pf BB creak in my old Primer while my Rootdown BA was rock solid. It was fixable by removal, clean, degrease mating surfaces, and reinstall.

When I inquired about this with the Chromag crew, they did acknowledge that the local built frames would have more 'quirks' at times compared to the overseas built, understandable when it's one person building a single frame at a time vs. an assembly line type welding team in Taiwan (I'm just assuming here). But they did seem to accept that the overseas frames did have more consistent build quality.

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2022 at 7:00 Quote
ronufoh wrote:
Slackerdude wrote:

I've mentioned this in the past, but I had occasional pf BB creak in my old Primer while my Rootdown BA was rock solid. It was fixable by removal, clean, degrease mating surfaces, and reinstall.

When I inquired about this with the Chromag crew, they did acknowledge that the local built frames would have more 'quirks' at times compared to the overseas built, understandable when it's one person building a single frame at a time vs. an assembly line type welding team in Taiwan (I'm just assuming here). But they did seem to accept that the overseas frames did have more consistent build quality.

Really sellin the BC made stuff, haha. Chromag should order raw frames from Taiwan and have someone finish them here for an upcharge. Custom paint options are so great, but they can keep the 'quirks'

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2022 at 12:44 Quote
My Samurai is perfect. Original Samurai from the old days with 26" wheels. Threaded BB yay! The seat post is such a good fit that when you push it down it pops back up with the air pressure. It does NOT have a replaceable hanger. It is a beautiful thing that I will keep for my whole life. It's a commuter with rigid fork now. Single speed. It weighs in at around 20 pounds.

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2022 at 13:40 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
ronufoh wrote:
Slackerdude wrote:

Really sellin the BC made stuff, haha. Chromag should order raw frames from Taiwan and have someone finish them here for an upcharge. Custom paint options are so great, but they can keep the 'quirks'

Chromag will sell you a Rootdown with custom paint if you ask.

No issues with my Hawk. Just-right-tight in all the places that something presses in.

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2022 at 22:08 Quote
Slackerdude wrote:

So, which bike goes on which leg? Amazing you can ride two bikes at once. Asking for a friend.Pirate

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 8:32 Quote
chezotron wrote:
Slackerdude wrote:

So, which bike goes on which leg? Amazing you can ride two bikes at once. Asking for a friend.Pirate

lol

The Ti Surface is my buddies

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 9:46 Quote
Hi! Anyone tried to contact Chromag when will the new colourways be available?

O+
Posted: Apr 17, 2022 at 10:51 Quote
kushkoma wrote:
Hi! Anyone tried to contact Chromag when will the new colourways be available?
Ya, I preordered one in November or so, and it sounds like they just got them in stock to sort out for shipping.
Colors are a bright red, and a color called clay (mat beigey grey with bronze decals), and black. I ordered clay… color looked interesting.

Posted: Apr 17, 2022 at 18:46 Quote
Cant wait to see the clay , red sounds interesting as well.

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2022 at 8:38 Quote
Slackerdude wrote:
Cant wait to see the clay , red sounds interesting as well.
Here are the renders they sent me when ordering:

photo

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020172
Mobile Version of Website