Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: May 4, 2022 at 20:01 Quote
It looks like they changed the Geometry so that the Primer and Rootdown are not the same unless they are going to update the Primers Geometry to match the new Rootdown numbers.

photo

O+
Posted: May 4, 2022 at 21:58 Quote
gsspirit wrote:
It looks like they changed the Geometry so that the Primer and Rootdown are not the same unless they are going to update the Primers Geometry to match the new Rootdown numbers.

photo

I wonder if it’s a mistake. Those Rootdown numbers match those of the 2019 Rootdown. The 2021 Rootdown (in the bike archives) has the same numbers as those of the Primer you posted.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2022 at 5:38 Quote
gsspirit wrote:

Looks like you're on an archived page or something. That's the old geometry for the Rootdown.

O+
Posted: May 6, 2022 at 7:17 Quote
I was curious if the same thing. I have a preorder in clay and was going to call and see if the geo chart is a mistake.

O+
Posted: May 7, 2022 at 11:44 Quote
photo
photo
Whoring out Rooty Huckstable.
New Hunt Enduro wide v.2 wheels, switched to a dissector rear. Solid get up. Now just need a time to ride!

O+
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 6:12 Quote
Burly as heck with that zeb. Any report on the wheels?

O+
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 6:30 Quote
One ride in and I didn’t notice them. I like that.

Super easy getting tires and inserts installed (tannus). Used a normal pump to air up. The supplied air valves are nice the end caps are valve core removers which was a nice touch.
Made the front tire look like it have a bit more square and was able to drop more psi as a result. Might look at the 2.6 Assegai maxxgrip next.

On trail, No pings, no squeaks, no tweaks, just rolled. I like the Freehub sound, it’s present but not loud, more of a quite buzz. Got the front with the torque caps. Haven’t ridden anything that would put the wheels to the test. But I did drop a ton of weight and Did feel quicker on trail as a result.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the change. Time will tell how they last under me. I’m guessing hardtail use isn’t the most gentle use case!

O+
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 6:39 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
One ride in and I didn’t notice them. I like that.

Super easy getting tires and inserts installed (tannus). Used a normal pump to air up. The supplied air valves are nice the end caps are valve core removers which was a nice touch.
Made the front tire look like it have a bit more square and was able to drop more psi as a result. Might look at the 2.6 Assegai maxxgrip next.

On trail, No pings, no squeaks, no tweaks, just rolled. I like the Freehub sound, it’s present but not loud, more of a quite buzz. Got the front with the torque caps. Haven’t ridden anything that would put the wheels to the test. But I did drop a ton of weight and Did feel quicker on trail as a result.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the change. Time will tell how they last under me. I’m guessing hardtail use isn’t the most gentle use case!

I think rear wheels hate hardtails. I'd love to hear a more long term report as I'm interested in another set of wheels for the non-hardtail as park season gives them a bit of a beating and I'd like a new set for just trail riding.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 9:35 Quote
I had spank wheels on the rootdown for 2 seasons of use. They were the vibracore ones. Solid, like really solid wheels. Held up extremely well under me. I’m 6’6” and 280lbs kitted up. So for those wheels to put up with that abuse, says a lot. I was not kind to them! Only reason I went away from them was cost and availability.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 10:43 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
I had spank wheels on the rootdown for 2 seasons of use. They were the vibracore ones. Solid, like really solid wheels. Held up extremely well under me. I’m 6’6” and 280lbs kitted up. So for those wheels to put up with that abuse, says a lot. I was not kind to them! Only reason I went away from them was cost and availability.

I'm very interested in Spanks. Not wildly expensive, good engagement and the vibrocore is intruiging. Had their bars and they felt pretty good !

O+
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 11:26 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:

I'm very interested in Spanks. Not wildly expensive, good engagement and the vibrocore is intruiging. Had their bars and they felt pretty good !

I had the same wheelset as a chef on my Rootdown. I really liked the feel of them. They were rather heavy though. I swapped them for a set of carbon hoops I had on another bike. Kinda regret it honestly.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 13:06 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:

I had the same wheelset as a chef on my Rootdown. I really liked the feel of them. They were rather heavy though. I swapped them for a set of carbon hoops I had on another bike. Kinda regret it honestly.

I can't do plastic as irrational as that may sound to some. I've really had no issues with alu and as they are semi-disposable as a rear wheel, I like 150/rim over 500-1000+. Maybe one day, but for now more than happy to run better alus.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 13:06 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:

I can't do plastic as irrational as that may sound to some. I've really had no issues with alu and as they are semi-disposable as a rear wheel, I like 150/rim over 500-1000+. Maybe one day, but for now more than happy to run better alus, especially on a hardtail. .

O+
Posted: May 11, 2022 at 14:54 Quote
hansbauck wrote:
gsspirit wrote:

Looks like you're on an archived page or something. That's the old geometry for the Rootdown.

It is posted on their web site but yea it does look like past numbers.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 8:29 Quote
I just had a look again at the Rootdown page and the numbers have been updated to match those of the 2021 Rootdown/Primer, with longer reach and 420 mm chainstays. It must have been a mistake.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012940
Mobile Version of Website