Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: May 19, 2022 at 22:19 Quote
hansbauck wrote:
gsspirit wrote:
It looks like they changed the Geometry so that the Primer and Rootdown are not the same unless they are going to update the Primers Geometry to match the new Rootdown numbers.

Looks like you're on an archived page or something. That's the old geometry for the Rootdown.

Funny thing is that I got an early 2020 Primer and the front triangle had the 2020 geometry and the rear triangle had the shorter 2019 chainstays. I thought it could have been a measuring error but compared it to a friends 2020 Rootdown and I had 5mm shorter stays. And I must say it is awesome and should be the standard geo.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 22:49 Quote
switchback249 wrote:
Good discussion on inserts, I've always run one in the rear on my Surface and I don't think I'd go back to running without. I am running Exo+ casings though usually so that offsets the weight a bit. Combined with DT Swiss aluminum wheels, it's pretty comfy running 18-20psi.

I never felt the need for an insert in the front, however I am now experimenting with a rigid fork for the winter rides (and because it's FUN!) and will probably go to a 2.8 tire up front and run another CushCore to take the edge off..

Mone forks and bars, in case anyone is interested (I realize this is not the target crowd for rigid bikes, but it still rides and feels like a Chromag Cool )

photo

photo

Not sure how I missed this, that must have when I took a hiatus from the web..

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 22:54 Quote
switchback249 wrote:
Good discussion on inserts, I've always run one in the rear on my Surface and I don't think I'd go back to running without. I am running Exo+ casings though usually so that offsets the weight a bit. Combined with DT Swiss aluminum wheels, it's pretty comfy running 18-20psi.

I never felt the need for an insert in the front, however I am now experimenting with a rigid fork for the winter rides (and because it's FUN!) and will probably go to a 2.8 tire up front and run another CushCore to take the edge off..

Mone forks and bars, in case anyone is interested (I realize this is not the target crowd for rigid bikes, but it still rides and feels like a Chromag Cool )

photo

photo

Not sure how I missed this, that must have when I took a hiatus from the web.. Super rad !

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 18:47 Quote
photo

My Surface got a bath for the first time in a while. Forgot how good it looks all shined up

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 19:38 Quote
Such a beauty . just sold my Surface frame the other dayCry But trying to make up for splurging on Ti Rootdown frame sitting here in my living room waiting for some more bits to build it up..

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 22:01 Quote
Slackerdude wrote:
Such a beauty . just sold my Surface frame the other dayCry But trying to make up for splurging on Ti Rootdown frame sitting here in my living room waiting for some more bits to build it up..

That shipped quickly! Dang

Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 6:44 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
Slackerdude wrote:

Actually only took a few days, I was surprised.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 7:13 Quote
Pkemp227 wrote:
photo

My Surface got a bath for the first time in a while. Forgot how good it looks all shined up

Love that paintjob. Do you remember which RAL codes you chose for the blue and silver? Fade between the two?

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 8:08 Quote
Slackerdude wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:
Slackerdude wrote:

Looking forward to seeing the build come together. It will be interesting to see what your thoughts are between the steel and ti versions. Guessing the first thing will be weight…

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 13:32 Quote
gubbinalia wrote:
Pkemp227 wrote:
photo

Love that paintjob. Do you remember which RAL codes you chose for the blue and silver? Fade between the two?

Thanks! I don’t remember the exact codes, I sorta just left it up to the guys at Chromag. It’s a blue faded to raw clear coat and it looks unreal in person!

Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 15:30 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
Slackerdude wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:

Looking forward to seeing the build come together. It will be interesting to see what your thoughts are between the steel and ti versions. Guessing the first thing will be weight…
I think it will be a bit more poppy but still as capable as steel one...

Posted: Aug 3, 2022 at 21:41 Quote
Some video of My buddy and myself shredding Chromags on Doctahawk and Surface

Views: 542    Faves: 1    Comments: 5

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 20:21 Quote
I’m looking to buy a new or excellent condition used) medium, or medium large Clay Rootdown, Anyone have any leads?

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 8:35 Quote
ecooke21 wrote:
I’m looking to buy a new or excellent condition used) medium, or medium large Clay Rootdown, Anyone have any leads?

I'm pretty sure my local Chromag dealer (Hitchhiker bikes in Stowe, Vt) had a M/L clay Rootdown frame in stock when I was in there a few days ago. They also have a MD complete Rootdown (https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3315982/) so maybe for a fee they could swap the parts onto the clay frame?

Posted: Aug 19, 2022 at 5:46 Quote
Pkemp227 wrote:
gubbinalia wrote:
Pkemp227 wrote:
photo

Thanks! I don’t remember the exact codes, I sorta just left it up to the guys at Chromag. It’s a blue faded to raw clear coat and it looks unreal in person!

a bit late to the game lurking this thread. That bike looks phenomenal Pkemp...! tup

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022303
Mobile Version of Website