Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: May 3, 2023 at 7:14 Quote
I bought a Doctahawk vs Rootdown, but making financial sense wasn't the reason. If you're looking for value the Taiwanese frames win every time. I wanted a bike made in Canada, painted how I felt like. Plus the geometry is a little different, but I think I could have made either work. As far as I know there's no performance reason to think the Canadian made bike is superior.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2023 at 7:28 Quote
husstler wrote:
I bought a Doctahawk vs Rootdown, but making financial sense wasn't the reason. If you're looking for value the Taiwanese frames win every time. I wanted a bike made in Canada, painted how I felt like. Plus the geometry is a little different, but I think I could have made either work. As far as I know there's no performance reason to think the Canadian made bike is superior.

If I had the hardtail budget, I would get a made-in-canada for all the same reasons.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2023 at 7:36 Quote
Also, regarding the quirks of the Canadian made frames - my Primer was going through bottom brackets like crazy. Reached out to Chromag about it and they asked me for a local shop that I preferred, sent them a brand new reaming tool because they didn't have one, paid for the labor, and sent some goodies. So at the end of the day I would say it is definitely down to budget and what you want.

Posted: May 3, 2023 at 8:39 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
KaMonk wrote:
Hello from New Zealand,

I have a short window to decide on a rootdown or primer. I would appreciate hearing about your experiences on either of the current models.

I have been riding a Rootdown - the model before the BA - with 140 mm travel and have absolutely loved it. It has been a capable bike dealing with lots of climbs and down hills with total composure. The Taiwanese craftsmanship has been amazing.

My decision is whether I can justify the extra spend on the Primer. What is your experience? Is the Dekerf love justified?

Thanks!

I think 99.85% of all people couldn't tell the difference between one made by dekerf and one made in Taiwan on the trail. I may have actually heard of issues with the ones made here (maybe alignment, don't quote me). The biggest difference will be the custom paint, let's be real. But, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I will say my Dekerf Surface rode like a dream ,only semi close thing I have to compare it with is a steel Rootdown that I owned for a while which rode pretty damn nice as well ,

O+
Posted: May 3, 2023 at 11:10 Quote
photo

Rootdown in its natural habitat. Super happy with the current build on this, after buying the frame from Slackerdude last summer, went through a few iterations trying to use random take-off components but this bike deserved better. Will post some build pics later but highlights include: 160 Lyrik ult, TRP Trail evo brakes, I9 stem and enduro S wheels, 210 oneup dropper, SLX groupset, DHF/Dissector DD with tannus insert in the rear.

Still boggles my mind how capable it is when pointed downhill, at 6 feet, went for the M/L for a playful compliment to my enduro rig and it feels like a big dirt jumper in all the good ways.

Posted: May 3, 2023 at 23:43 Quote
trioofchaos wrote:
Also, regarding the quirks of the Canadian made frames - my Primer was going through bottom brackets like crazy

Quirks is a good way to put it, the Chromag team used the exact same words when I inquired. I had a Rootdown BA, no problems whatsoever, which I then decided to upgrade to the Primer to get something more special. The Primer would get a creaky pf bb which necessitated a removal, clean, regrease, and reinstall. Not a huge deal breaker, but annoying nonetheless. Chromag told me that Canadian made frames would sometimes have minor heat warping issues in the bb and headtube, which if you consider the way they are built here vs the Taiwanese factory, could be understandable.

Posted: May 4, 2023 at 1:54 Quote
Thanks, Chromag folk. I agree about the Taiwan-made frames, no issue, exceptional quality. I built my Rootdown four years ago and aside from routine maintenance the frame has been a great platform and kept on going.

I did like the idea of of a more artisanal frame, not quite custom, so I went with the Primer. Not sure if it is a Dekerf or the new welder Howlett. Hopefully Chromag will confirm. I had a local option with Reynolds 853 which really appealed to me but my experience has been amazing with Chromag.

I currently have a Pike set at 140mm - is the jump up to a Lyrik necessary for the Primer build? The mid range for a fork on the Primer is 160mm. I am interested in others have set up their Primer. Also, should I be considering a fork with more settings? Re: RCT3/ Ultimate.

thanks

O+
Posted: May 4, 2023 at 6:21 Quote
The idea of paying more for Quirks cause a human made it here vs Taiwan is crazy to me. They are hand made in Taiwan, how's that not artisnal? What if the guy who made it here, went to Taiwan and made it? Less artisnal? haha.

I think in the past they use better/different steel for the Canadian made ones, which was a selling point too. Don't get me wrong, the idea of a made in Canada frame gets me stoked as I live less than a days drive from where they are made, but it's not really logical beyond the paint if you ask me. Bikes are really logical either, though.

I think that Primer is gonna need a 160mm. 150mm will have the BBH nicely low, 140 might mean short cranks. Plus, if you're getting a primer, I think you're gonna want all that squish up front, otherwise a surface could be a cool option for a 140 I think. Even more pricey, but it has sliding dropouts etc. I have a 160 on my hardtail, I like it!

O+
Posted: May 4, 2023 at 6:36 Quote
Hey gang. I have a 2022 Rootdown size L, looking to see if anyone wants to swap frames for a M/L size? Located in the Calgary area.

Posted: May 4, 2023 at 7:53 Quote
vermontana wrote:
photo

Rootdown in its natural habitat. Super happy with the current build on this, after buying the frame from Slackerdude last summer, went through a few iterations trying to use random take-off components but this bike deserved better. Will post some build pics later but highlights include: 160 Lyrik ult, TRP Trail evo brakes, I9 stem and enduro S wheels, 210 oneup dropper, SLX groupset, DHF/Dissector DD with tannus insert in the rear.

Still boggles my mind how capable it is when pointed downhill, at 6 feet, went for the M/L for a playful compliment to my enduro rig and it feels like a big dirt jumper in all the good ways.
Nice ! looks great with the silver bits..Is that one of the rock rolls on Vitamin B ?

O+
Posted: May 4, 2023 at 8:23 Quote
I love that blue and silver.

Posted: May 4, 2023 at 20:36 Quote
I think in the past they use better/different steel for the Canadian made ones, which was a selling point too.

This was my 2017 Primer, you could see the top tube butting whereas on my 2016 Rootdown BA it appeared straight externally.
photo

Posted: May 5, 2023 at 2:11 Quote
The idea of paying more for Quirks cause a human made it here vs Taiwan is crazy to me. They are hand made in Taiwan, how's that not artisnal? What if the guy who made it here, went to Taiwan and made it? Less artisnal? haha.

I think in the past they use better/different steel for the Canadian made ones, which was a selling point too. Don't get me wrong, the idea of a made in Canada frame gets me stoked as I live less than a days drive from where they are made, but it's not really logical beyond the paint if you ask me. Bikes are really logical either, though.

I think that Primer is gonna need a 160mm. 150mm will have the BBH nicely low, 140 might mean short cranks. Plus, if you're getting a primer, I think you're gonna want all that squish up front, otherwise a surface could be a cool option for a 140 I think. Even more pricey, but it has sliding dropouts etc. I have a 160 on my hardtail, I like it!

These are good points you raise. In the end, the stock available was a weird red in the rootdown but the primer had a colour that appealed to me. The rootdown made sense but I had one before but was interested in something different. The quirks are concerning but hopefully the tolerances have got better. But hey, we are talking about a hardtail and I am here for the journey, like I start all my rides! In my head, toyota vs bmw, hopefully not alfa!

160mm seems to be where it is at. Most likely the lyrik. Is a more complex fork worth it?

O+
Posted: May 5, 2023 at 6:07 Quote
How big are you?

Can really shape a fork purchase.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2023 at 7:05 Quote
husstler wrote:
How big are you?

Can really shape a fork purchase.

I personally found the lyrik felt kinda spindly compared to my DVO Onyx. 205lb before gear.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017076
Mobile Version of Website