Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 10:09 Quote
hani12 wrote:
Anyone here running carbon hoops? I've been flat spotting the heck out of my flow mk3 wondering if carbon would be better in the long run.

I ride my Surface aggressively and have found that there is no substitute for air pressure. Trail dependent of course. I'm on my second rear rim with about a year of riding. I'm 100 percent positive that the hit that finally took out my aluminum rim would have finished off a carbon rim too.

I started running a Huck Norris insert in the rear and it has helped a little bit, but it was in there when my rim went tits up.

Heading over to the front page to read the cushcore review.

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2017 at 13:25 Quote
Just got back from a late summer camping trip in the Leavenworth area.
Managed to get a good day of riding in, about 5000' of climbing and rode some pretty good trails. Xanadu had me a little apprehensive about riding solo on a hardtail but didn't have any issues other than deep rutted out tracks in the top section.

This bike continues to impress and put a smile on my face!

photo

photo

Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 16:59 Quote
Just finished my Rootdown BA yesterday. It's a total blast to ride. I do feel like I'm way over the pedals, I'm guessing it's just the geometry and I have to get used to it. I've been riding my Pivot 429 trail which is totally different. It makes sense that the Rootdown is designed to get you up over the fork to absorb big hits. Anyone have a take on all this?

Posted: Sep 22, 2017 at 15:28 Quote
Chromag rootdown build

Just finished up building this bad boy !

Posted: Sep 25, 2017 at 2:35 Quote
Nice bike! Like that frame colour....

Posted: Sep 26, 2017 at 22:53 Quote
Hello guys,

Though somebody might appreciate these. 27.5+ in the older Chromag Surface 2016.

Rear tire clearance for:
Tire - Maxxis Minion DHF 27.5x2.8
Rim - inner width 30mm
Frame - 2016 Chromag Surface Small

Rear tire clearance for Tire - Maxxis Minion DHF 27.5x2.8 Rim - inner width 30mm Frame - 2016 Chromag Surface Small
Rear tire clearance for Tire - Maxxis Minion DHF 27.5x2.8 Rim - inner width 30mm Frame - 2016 Chromag Surface Small
photo

O+
Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 6:04 Quote
Daskin wrote:
Hello guys,

Though somebody might appreciate these. 27.5+ in the older Chromag Surface 2016.

Rear tire clearance for:
Tire - Maxxis Minion DHF 27.5x2.8
Rim - inner width 30mm
Frame - 2016 Chromag Surface Small

[PI=1a5212714 size=l0 align=c][/PI]

That's tight!!

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 9:16 Quote
Finally got around to installing a 150mm air shaft in the Fox 34. While I thought the Rootdown was fun before, it really came alive with the longer travel!
I rode some fairly technical downhills this past weekend (Jug Mountain Ranch, for anyone familiar with SW Idaho...), with some decent chunk. Handled like a champ.
Unlike most others, I opt to ride uphill instead of shuttling. I was wondering if the slacker HT angle and longer fork would negatively affect the climbing ability- it didn't. I will try some steep climbs this week, which will give me a little better info than this weekend, but the on the steep sections, I never felt like the front end was wandering any more than before.
Anyway, here's some pics:
Jug Mountain Ranch
  Jug Mountain Ranch

Jug Mountain Ranch- Yes that s snow up on the mountaintops. In September...
  Jug Mountain Ranch- Yes, that's snow up on the mountaintops. In September...

Jug Mountain Ranch
  Jug Mountain Ranch

Jug Mountain Ranch says no to ebikes.
  Jug Mountain Ranch says no to ebikes.

Jug Mountain Ranch
  Jug Mountain Ranch

Jug Mountain Ranch
  Jug Mountain Ranch

Posted: Sep 27, 2017 at 9:57 Quote
jpshore wrote:

That's tight!!

Yeah, not sure if im gonna go that way, or try to find a slightly narrower plus tire.
Any suggestion?

Posted: Oct 5, 2017 at 0:23 Quote
hi guys, i bought a chromag rootdown frame, my first trail hardtail. i'm going to build it up in winter and at the moment i'm looking for the parts. now i have seen that chromag offers their own rims. does somebody have any informations and do they allready sell it? thanks and best regards from austria

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2017 at 6:09 Quote
lpk wrote:
hi guys, i bought a chromag rootdown frame, my first trail hardtail. i'm going to build it up in winter and at the moment i'm looking for the parts. now i have seen that chromag offers their own rims. does somebody have any informations and do they allready sell it? thanks and best regards from austria

I haven't seen much besides trade show info, but there are two versions. They both have a 30mm interior dimension, which for 29ers is a hair wider and a hair lighter than the Stan's MK3 Flows that were previously specced on the Rootdown BA but maybe narrower than the old 27.5+ rims. The new wheelset has the lighter version, the Phase 30, with Chromag Magna hubs (don't know anything about these). The BA30 rim has internal bracing to stiffen it up (so it's heavier), and both have a thicker bead seat that promises to reduce sidewall cuts and increase dent resistance.

I'm happy so far with the MK3 Flows, but if I trash one I'll have a hard look at the Chromag rims.

Good luck with your build!

Posted: Oct 5, 2017 at 6:41 Quote
lpk wrote:

All the details here: http://www.chromagbikes.com/rims

Posted: Oct 5, 2017 at 8:31 Quote
GatDog wrote:
lpk wrote:

I haven't seen much besides trade show info, but there are two versions. They both have a 30mm interior dimension, which for 29ers is a hair wider and a hair lighter than the Stan's MK3 Flows that were previously specced on the Rootdown BA but maybe narrower than the old 27.5+ rims. The new wheelset has the lighter version, the Phase 30, with Chromag Magna hubs (don't know anything about these). The BA30 rim has internal bracing to stiffen it up (so it's heavier), and both have a thicker bead seat that promises to reduce sidewall cuts and increase dent resistance.

I'm happy so far with the MK3 Flows, but if I trash one I'll have a hard look at the Chromag rims.

So Chromag will sell the complete wheel too? I just have seen the rim pictures from the trade show...and till now i haven't seen some informations to the hubs.

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2017 at 8:57 Quote
lpk wrote:
GatDog wrote:
lpk wrote:

So Chromag will sell the complete wheel too? I just have seen the rim pictures from the trade show...and till now i haven't seen some informations to the hubs.

They've got wheels in their build kits for complete bikes; not sure if they'd sell a wheelset on its own. Drop 'em a line!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.040430
Mobile Version of Website