Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: May 1, 2018 at 11:28 Quote
BetterNotBlink wrote:
Would an XL Surface be too big for somebody that's 6'2"?

I ride a Santa Cruz Bronson XL, but want to make sure the Surface is a good fit.

I ride an XL 18' Rootdown and actually find it a touch short.... I'm 6'2.5" but with a rather massive ape index. So, pretty sure you'll be good on the XL at 6'2".

Posted: May 1, 2018 at 12:59 Quote
ndirienzo wrote:
BetterNotBlink wrote:

I ride a Santa Cruz Bronson XL, but want to make sure the Surface is a good fit.

I ride an XL 18' Rootdown and actually find it a touch short.... I'm 6'2.5" but with a rather massive ape index. So, pretty sure you'll be good on the XL at 6'2".

I was in the same place as you. I'm barely 6'2 and went with the 2018 large Rootdown and it fits great. I also ride an XL Transition Patrol if that helps.

Posted: May 2, 2018 at 6:40 Quote
BetterNotBlink wrote:

as long as we are talking current models the large Surface is 4mm longer reach than an XL Bronson.
I'm 6'2" and ride a large Surface, it fits perfect.

Posted: May 2, 2018 at 14:59 Quote
Has anyone ran their bikes in both 29 and 27.5+ guise? If so what are your thoughts and preferences? I've read back about 30 odd pages and most folk seem to favour the 29" wheels. Not decided which frame I'm after. Got a 2015 Samurai 65 which I've fitted with a 1.5* angleset which has taken it to 66*. Goes fantastic but def curious on the plus sizes. Plus it's my 40th next month. N+1.

Posted: May 2, 2018 at 16:58 Quote
I ran my Rootdown with 29er wheels off my pivot for a bit. I found it didn’t handle great. I got a set of Stans Flow wheels 27.5 with a 2.6 forekaster and a 2.8 minion up front and it was way more playful, more pedal strikes but super fun

Mod
Posted: May 2, 2018 at 18:06 Quote
I'm running 2.8s right now and was never really into the plus thing but I think it makes sense on this bike. I'm loving the added grip, I'm not a great technical climber so this helps in that front. Not sure how it would be on railing hardpacked bike park type terrain though I'd probably prefer 29 for that.

Posted: May 2, 2018 at 20:24 Quote
Given the frequency that I change bikes I am considering the Rootdown and a second set of Chromag wheels. Or a Primer with one set as import duties and large boxes through customs cost mucho £££ over here.

Posted: May 2, 2018 at 20:45 Quote
I run 27.5x2.8 rear, and 29x2.3 front on 150mm fork. I've found this to be my goldilocks setup. Great traction and a bit of cush out back; rollover and steering precision of a 29 non plus tire in the front. Plus it raised my bb enough so pedal strikes weren't nearly as much of an issue.

My biggest beef with the front 27.5+ was the vagueness while cornering, and I don't consider myself a particularly fast or hard rider.

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 10:03 Quote
I'm 6ft and am on a 2017 M/L and it fits great. Used to be on a 2013 M/L, and it was a bit short but they lengthened it out a tad since.

rideonjon wrote:
BetterNotBlink wrote:

as long as we are talking current models the large Surface is 4mm longer reach than an XL Bronson.
I'm 6'2" and ride a large Surface, it fits perfect.

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 10:05 Quote
I found the same thing and have now ordered a Huck Norris. Can't wait to get it in.

DMal wrote:
murrdogg wrote:
anyone spent much time on the new chromag wheel sets?
any reviews or impressions?
the ba30 strikes me as a bit heavy for a 29er rim at 610 grams

I have never had a bike that's as hard on rear wheels as my Rootdown BA. The geometry and front travel just makes you want to smash into stuff really hard. My guess is that the BA rims were designed with that in mind.

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 10:27 Quote
vonP wrote:
I found the same thing and have now ordered a Huck Norris. Can't wait to get it in.

DMal wrote:
murrdogg wrote:

I have never had a bike that's as hard on rear wheels as my Rootdown BA. The geometry and front travel just makes you want to smash into stuff really hard. My guess is that the BA rims were designed with that in mind.

Huh. Either I'm not riding hard enough, or it's just that I've been riding hardtail only for the past 17 years, but I've had no issues with my rear wheel taking too much abuse.
It's the same 3 year old WTB i25 KOM that I had on my Advocate Hayduke, and Cannondale F29 before that...

Los

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 12:46 Quote
I'm riding mine in some pretty rocky terrain in BC... had two blow outs already.

Losifer wrote:
vonP wrote:

DMal wrote:

Huh. Either I'm not riding hard enough, or it's just that I've been riding hardtail only for the past 17 years, but I've had no issues with my rear wheel taking too much abuse.
It's the same 3 year old WTB i25 KOM that I had on my Advocate Hayduke, and Cannondale F29 before that...

Los

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 13:25 Quote
vonP wrote:

DMal wrote:
murrdogg wrote:

I am running Arch MK3 with Huck Norris on both my Rootdown BA and Norco Range 29. It helps, but I have still managed to dent my rims on both bikes. That’s with ~950 - 1000 g tires at high-20s PSI. I think dents happen if the tire rolls over as it impacts a rock, with the Huck Norris out of the way.

Also, I checked on my Huck Norris after a couple of months and it’s full of holes, so it has clearly done something to protect against some rim strikes.

Huck Norris isn’t perfect, but the cost and weight are reasonable, and I’m not really willing to move onto something heavier like CushCore.

That said, I wonder if a tire with even sturdier sidewalls (like a DH tire) would protect better than Huck Norris.

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 13:40 Quote
DMal wrote:
vonP wrote:

DMal wrote:

I am running Arch MK3 with Huck Norris on both my Rootdown BA and Norco Range 29. It helps, but I have still managed to dent my rims on both bikes. That’s with ~950 - 1000 g tires at high-20s PSI. I think dents happen if the tire rolls over as it impacts a rock, with the Huck Norris out of the way.

Also, I checked on my Huck Norris after a couple of months and it’s full of holes, so it has clearly done something to protect against some rim strikes.

Huck Norris isn’t perfect, but the cost and weight are reasonable, and I’m not really willing to move onto something heavier like CushCore.

That said, I wonder if a tire with even sturdier sidewalls (like a DH tire) would protect better than Huck Norris.

I've been tempted to try Cush Core. Any experience there?

My solution up until now has been to run tons of pressure... 32psi on a 2.4 tire and 30mm internal rim. It's stopped the flats, but it rides pretty rough. I'm also tempted to ditch the enves.

Posted: May 3, 2018 at 19:29 Quote
sospeedy wrote:

I am curious about what you referred to as “twitchy”? Is that some low speed floppiness from the 65 degree head angle, or from something else?

Low speed on the 29" wheels. I have gotten used to it after a few weeks of riding. It prefers to go fast.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021170
Mobile Version of Website