Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: May 3, 2018 at 20:37 Quote
BetterNotBlink wrote:
Would an XL Surface be too big for somebody that's 6'2"?

I ride a Santa Cruz Bronson XL, but want to make sure the Surface is a good fit.
Yes . I would go L...

Posted: May 9, 2018 at 2:44 Quote
Hi there - a long time follower of the thread.

I am coming off a Surly Karate Monkey and now building up a Rootdown. From what I can see it is the model that came out just before the BA model. It has the same head tube badge as the BA.

Does anyone have a parts list? Specifically, I am seeking info on the bottom bracket and the rear axle. From what I can see it is not a boost rear. My Hope Pro2 bolt axle seem to fit fine!

Chromag have changed their website so don't list their older models and they have not responded to my email.

Any suggestions where to look will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Posted: May 9, 2018 at 10:45 Quote
KaMonk wrote:

I am coming off a Surly Karate Monkey and now building up a Rootdown. From what I can see it is the model that came out just before the BA model. It has the same head tube badge as the BA.

Does anyone have a parts list? Specifically, I am seeking info on the bottom bracket and the rear axle. From what I can see it is not a boost rear. My Hope Pro2 bolt axle seem to fit fine!

Chromag have changed their website so don't list their older models and they have not responded to my email.

Thank you!

photo

IF it is a 2015 or 16 pre BA model with a thru axle it should be 12/142 (not boost) and the BB should be a standard 73mm threaded BB shell. See the image from the old Chromag site. Hope this helps

O+
Posted: May 9, 2018 at 10:56 Quote
KaMonk wrote:

Thank you!

I bought that last 'old' version (2015), in the blue (my only MTB now, as I love riding it and sold my FS) and can confirm that it is NOT Boost spacing at the rear dropouts.

IIRC, I am running a standard, threaded RF 68/73 BB (with that year's RF Turbine Cinch cranks - 30mm spindle but not the latest version). I'm using an aluminium spacer as the plastic ones supplied tended to deform under the recommended 40Nm torque.

I'm now running RF Aeffect R wheels with 30mm rims (you see the pattern here!) and have managed to fit Nobby Nic 29 x 2.6" tires with ample clearance, even without the Boost rear end as the yoke is designed well for this.

I don't think that it will fit 27.5/+ tires as well due to the shape of the yoke.

Hope that helps! Cool

Posted: May 9, 2018 at 23:55 Quote
The-BIG-GT wrote:
KaMonk wrote:

Thank you!

I bought that last 'old' version (2015), in the blue (my only MTB now, as I love riding it and sold my FS) and can confirm that it is NOT Boost spacing at the rear dropouts.

IIRC, I am running a standard, threaded RF 68/73 BB (with that year's RF Turbine Cinch cranks - 30mm spindle but not the latest version). I'm using an aluminium spacer as the plastic ones supplied tended to deform under the recommended 40Nm torque.

I'm now running RF Aeffect R wheels with 30mm rims (you see the pattern here!) and have managed to fit Nobby Nic 29 x 2.6" tires with ample clearance, even without the Boost rear end as the yoke is designed well for this.

I don't think that it will fit 27.5/+ tires as well due to the shape of the yoke.

Hope that helps! Cool

Great - thanks for that, Geopedler and The-BIG!!!

A few issues to work thro:
+ So what size seat clamp should I use? Is it a 34.9mm (chromag 35mm)?
+ With the headset, I see some have used the cane creek angle set headset. If I went down that path, will that up-date the frame more towards the BA geometry? Is that an improvement?
+ Looking at the older entries on this thread, I see that 140mm travel was popular but the new bikes have gone clearly towards 160mm. I have a pike with a 51 offset and was going the 140mm path. What is the best travel for this frame?

Interesting about being able to go on wide rims. Mine is blue too. I gave the frame a good clean and a few layers of car polish.

I usually use a fizik seat, but I like the look of the chromag limited/ brown leather. I am traveling stateside in June, is itthe seat cheaper in a bike shop?

Thanks once again.

Posted: May 10, 2018 at 9:45 Quote
KaMonk wrote:

+ With the headset, I see some have used the cane creek angle set headset. If I went down that path, will that up-date the frame more towards the BA geometry? Is that an improvement?
+ Looking at the older entries on this thread, I see that 140mm travel was popular but the new bikes have gone clearly towards 160mm. I have a pike with a 51 offset and was going the 140mm path. What is the best travel for this frame?

Interesting about being able to go on wide rims. Mine is blue too. I gave the frame a good clean and a few layers of car polish.

I usually use a fizik seat, but I like the look of the chromag limited/ brown leather. I am traveling stateside in June, is itthe seat cheaper in a bike shop?

Thanks once again.

+ Yes, Chromag 35mm clamp
+ No comment on the angleset other than the stock geo works darn well with a standard headset at 67.5 unless you are in the really steep.
+ I've run both a 140 Fox and currently a 150 DPA Pike (always 51 offset for 29s). Both work great! I think if I was setting it up again I would stick with the 140 as it would drop the BB just a hair. The BAs have a significantly lower BB which gives that "in the bike" feel rather than "on top of the bike" feel. Adds to the "carveability"! The difference in fork travel 140-150 is really minimal. Kind of depends on your local riding terrain too. Mine is not too chunky and thus 140 is fine.
+ The brown leather Trailmaster is the only way to go on this bike.

Enjoy the new horse!

O+
Posted: May 10, 2018 at 13:31 Quote
ndirienzo wrote:
DMal wrote:
vonP wrote:
I found the same thing and have now ordered a Huck Norris. Can't wait to get it in.

I am running Arch MK3 with Huck Norris on both my Rootdown BA and Norco Range 29. It helps, but I have still managed to dent my rims on both bikes. That’s with ~950 - 1000 g tires at high-20s PSI. I think dents happen if the tire rolls over as it impacts a rock, with the Huck Norris out of the way.

Also, I checked on my Huck Norris after a couple of months and it’s full of holes, so it has clearly done something to protect against some rim strikes.

Huck Norris isn’t perfect, but the cost and weight are reasonable, and I’m not really willing to move onto something heavier like CushCore.

That said, I wonder if a tire with even sturdier sidewalls (like a DH tire) would protect better than Huck Norris.

I've been tempted to try Cush Core. Any experience there?

My solution up until now has been to run tons of pressure... 32psi on a 2.4 tire and 30mm internal rim. It's stopped the flats, but it rides pretty rough. I'm also tempted to ditch the enves.

I'm running Cush Core in the back and it makes a difference. Running 22psi and it feels nice on big hits. I know it's expensive but worth it after hearing my rim smack rocks on Seymour and Froome.

Posted: May 11, 2018 at 2:20 Quote
geopedler wrote:
KaMonk wrote:

Thanks once again.

+ Yes, Chromag 35mm clamp
+ No comment on the angleset other than the stock geo works darn well with a standard headset at 67.5 unless you are in the really steep.
+ I've run both a 140 Fox and currently a 150 DPA Pike (always 51 offset for 29s). Both work great! I think if I was setting it up again I would stick with the 140 as it would drop the BB just a hair. The BAs have a significantly lower BB which gives that "in the bike" feel rather than "on top of the bike" feel. Adds to the "carveability"! The difference in fork travel 140-150 is really minimal. Kind of depends on your local riding terrain too. Mine is not too chunky and thus 140 is fine.
+ The brown leather Trailmaster is the only way to go on this bike.

Enjoy the new horse!

Great - thanks for that. The 140mm travel does make sense. The trailmaster seat is now on the parts list!

It should be in a couple of months before I am done. Have to first master wheel building! Hopefully, I will have this ready for the peak of Wellington (NZ) winter/ wet season.

Posted: May 12, 2018 at 9:01 Quote
[Quote="The-BIG-GT"]
KaMonk wrote:

To complicate matters a bit, as I recall, Chromag did produce a batch of 'non BA' Rootdowns with 66* head angle and a boost rear end/PF92 bb. It was a pretty small batch before the BA fully adopted the Primer geometry.

So we need to be careful when we talk about non-BA Rootdowns.

O+
Posted: May 14, 2018 at 11:19 Quote
[Quote="ronufoh"]
The-BIG-GT wrote:
KaMonk wrote:

To complicate matters a bit, as I recall, Chromag did produce a batch of 'non BA' Rootdowns with 66* head angle and a boost rear end/PF92 bb. It was a pretty small batch before the BA fully adopted the Primer geometry.

So we need to be careful when we talk about non-BA Rootdowns.

2015/2016 was not the best time to buy a Rootdown.

Posted: May 14, 2018 at 11:25 Quote
JesseE wrote:

JesseE made a funny lol

I don't know, I am really happy with my 2015 with the slacker SA for my needs. I do wish the TT was bit longer but don't really dig the steeper SA on the new ones. Also by not having boost hubs, it's made it much easier to resist upgradeitis.

O+
Posted: May 14, 2018 at 11:31 Quote
geopedler wrote:
JesseE wrote:

JesseE made a funny lol

I don't know, I am really happy with my 2015 with the slacker SA for my needs. I do wish the TT was bit longer but don't really dig the steeper SA on the new ones. Also by not having boost hubs, it's made it much easier to resist upgradeitis.

They're all nice bikes, I just would have preferred to have built a chromag from scratch with boost & more aggro geo, but in 2015 there weren't many options out there. So many changes over those two years. I still think of that orange 2016...

O+
Posted: May 16, 2018 at 7:58 Quote
photo
Built up over the winter with some new and some used parts.
m/l Rootdown with 27.5+ wheels (2.8 tires)
160mm lyric
xt 1x11
xt brakes
170 Race Face cranks
Love it.

Posted: May 16, 2018 at 8:34 Quote
milestogo wrote:
photo
Built up over the winter with some new and some used parts.
m/l Rootdown with 27.5+ wheels (2.8 tires)
160mm lyric
xt 1x11
xt brakes
170 Race Face cranks
Love it.
Looks great. You went M/L how tall are you . I’m 6’ and thinking of going M/L.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2018 at 9:12 Quote
[/Quote]Looks great. You went M/L how tall are you . I’m 6’ and thinking of going M/L.[/Quote]

I'm 6' on the nose. Sizing is spot on with my large transition scout. I have them set up with almost identical reach and drop from seat to handlebars. Steerer tube was left long to play around with stem height, I have dropped it a bit since this photo was taken.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016325
Mobile Version of Website