Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: May 28, 2018 at 9:03 Quote
ndirienzo wrote:
TheFunkyMonkey wrote:
Anyone with a current Rootdown running a 29x2.6 (Rekon?) in the rear? I see in prior posts that The-BIG-GT is running a 2.6 Nobby Nic in a non-Boost frame so I presume they'll work but want to confirm before purchasing. Thanks.

I tried running a 2.6 Bontrager SE4 mated to a 30mm internal rim and got a ton of tire rub in the turns and even when pedaling hard. The wheels are super stiff as well, so it's not that they're flexing. I don't get any rub off my 2.4, so maybe a narrow 2.6 would work?

Thanks for following-up. The SE4 2.6 is a good baseline since they measure 2.65 based on my experience. The Rekons I have on Derby's measure close to 2.6 so it sounds like any 2.6 is going to be tight. I thought that may be the case with the tight chainstays. I have to almost fully extend the dropouts on my Chameleon to fit the Rekon 2.6 so it makes sense. Thanks again.

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 5:49 Quote
sizing help for an XL 2017 surface

I'm 6'3, but my legs are a little short. I will be able to run a 125 dropper with the 533 seat tube, but not a 150 (not a deal breaker). I could eventually get one of those new OneUp posts and max out the drop.

I'm currently on a 2015 Honzo with a 130mm fork, 40mm stem which puts the HTA at about 67d. Sometimes it feels a little cramped. The ETT on the surface is only like 10mm longer, so I'm thinking I would be alright in the cockpit but I'm curios about the slacker HTA on the surface and the longer wheelbase. I could bump my fork up to 140, but I'd like to run it with a 130 fork at first to see how it goes.

Anyone have any fit or geometry thoughts, should I be getting a L instead? I live in southwest Virginia and a lot around here (technical steep climbs and downs) and the stuff down in WNC, Pisgah Asheville type of stuff. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

O+
Posted: May 29, 2018 at 13:06 Quote
Discussing with a friend... Primer vs Rootdown... My argument that a Primer is just a bit cooler because it is handmade isn't seeming to be worth the 1200.00 price jump. Anyone else weigh in to discuss????

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 13:28 Quote
SC38 wrote:
Discussing with a friend... Primer vs Rootdown... My argument that a Primer is just a bit cooler because it is handmade isn't seeming to be worth the 1200.00 price jump. Anyone else weigh in to discuss????

Yea, the rootdown is handmade too, just in Taiwan. Taiwan has a long history of building super nice steel frames, so the quality is pretty equivalent to the Primer IMO. There are a couple nicer features on the primer I guess, but nothing you'll ever notice when riding. If you have the cash and want it hand welded in CAD vs Taiwan, then go for it. Otherwise I say invest that 1200 in other parts or in a riding trip!

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 13:42 Quote
ndirienzo wrote:
SC38 wrote:

Yea, the rootdown is handmade too, just in Taiwan. Taiwan has a long history of building super nice steel frames, so the quality is pretty equivalent to the Primer IMO. There are a couple nicer features on the primer I guess, but nothing you'll ever notice when riding. If you have the cash and want it hand welded in CAD vs Taiwan, then go for it. Otherwise I say invest that 1200 in other parts or in a riding trip!

Totally agree with @ndirienzo Only other cool benny of the Primer - Pick your own color.

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 16:53 Quote
Once my Rootdown fades a bit and needs paint I’m going to send it back and Chromag will repaint it any colour you like. Not positive on pricing but it’s quite reasonable I believe.

O+
Posted: May 29, 2018 at 21:54 Quote
rescuetool wrote:
Once my Rootdown fades a bit and needs paint I’m going to send it back and Chromag will repaint it any colour you like. Not positive on pricing but it’s quite reasonable I believe.

I think it's about $400 for something basic.

Prices are probably consistent with the Chris Dekerf website: https://dekerf.com/paint/

Posted: May 29, 2018 at 23:06 Quote
Dekerf repainted my Primer, it was $450cdn plus tax and that included having an extra set of water bottle bosses mounted on the seat tube.

Re: Primer vs Rootdown. My Primer has a slightly longer head tube, maybe 5mm or so. The details in the tubeset are nicer, I don't know the weight difference is noticeable at all. Chromag says the Rootdowns are more consistently welded; the Canadian welded frames have rare idiosyncracies at times despite the legend status of Dekerf and Truelove.

Personally I upgraded to the Primer when I knew that the BA geometry was what I was looking for, and that this was one I would hang onto for a long long time.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2018 at 10:19 Quote
Thoughts on Ti Surface for a heavier guy? I am 230lbs and am considering the Ti frame just because... I've heard from a few people that Ti will be too flexy for me but I have also heard the Ti Surface is overbuilt and should be no issue. Thoughts from anyone?

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2018 at 9:16 Quote
Doooooooo iiiiitttttttt

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2018 at 12:58 Quote
Opinions please... Will a Surface Ti be capable enough as a one bike quiver. Riding everything short of Bike Park laps.

Posted: Jun 12, 2018 at 13:04 Quote
I am loving the shit out of this!!

16 Chromag Stylus

16 Chromag Stylus

Posted: Jun 12, 2018 at 13:10 Quote
Had to post it, couldn't help myself. Rolleyes

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2018 at 13:49 Quote
SC38 wrote:
Opinions please... Will a Surface Ti be capable enough as a one bike quiver. Riding everything short of Bike Park laps.

I'd say so. I am on a Surface, and it is my only bike. I ride marathon XC races, and I ride the shore in North Vancouver. You won't regret it.

I am about five years into this (two Surfaces in that time), and only now starting to get the itch for something different. That said, I won't be selling the HT.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014264
Mobile Version of Website