Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Jun 12, 2018 at 13:52 Quote
SC38 wrote:
Opinions please... Will a Surface Ti be capable enough as a one bike quiver. Riding everything short of Bike Park laps.

The answer to this really depends on where and how you ride. Looks like you are selling a Surface so you should be familiar with the ride. It is certainly a capable frame.

I love riding my Surface, but it could never be my only bike. When riding fast on gnarly trails I find it is just too hard on my body if I am riding 3-4 times a week. I tend to use it for longer "XC" rides, but if I do find myself on steeper, rougher trails then I just adjust and go a bit slower and am more selective with my line choice.

FWIW I bought the bike off someone who used it as their only bike last summer and decided to sell as it was taking too much of a physical toll on them. Keep in mind I am talking about Squamish where there are a lot of steep gnarly trails with lots of severe g-outs.

Posted: Jun 12, 2018 at 14:01 Quote
between the two of us, he should be thoroughly confused now. Smile

Zaeius wrote:
SC38 wrote:
Opinions please... Will a Surface Ti be capable enough as a one bike quiver. Riding everything short of Bike Park laps.

The answer to this really depends on where and how you ride. Looks like you are selling a Surface so you should be familiar with the ride. It is certainly a capable frame.

I love riding my Surface, but it could never be my only bike. When riding fast on gnarly trails I find it is just too hard on my body if I am riding 3-4 times a week. I tend to use it for longer "XC" rides, but if I do find myself on steeper, rougher trails then I just adjust and go a bit slower and am more selective with my line choice.

FWIW I bought the bike off someone who used it as their only bike last summer and decided to sell as it was taking too much of a physical toll on them. Keep in mind I am talking about Squamish where there are a lot of steep gnarly trails with lots of severe g-outs.

Posted: Jun 12, 2018 at 23:00 Quote
Chromag Rootdown
First ride, I think I love this bike...

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 9:10 Quote
Yes, I am selling my steel surface frame to replace it with the Ti... just was looking for feedback from others on the idea of having it as only bike. I am not worried too much about the wear on me... more wondering how others feel about the Surface as capable from XC-everything short of Bike Park. I have found it to be great and am thinking that the Ti Surface will basically fit all my needs... wondered how others felt. Hahaha essentially looking for others to help me justify my spending.

Zaeius wrote:
SC38 wrote:

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 9:28 Quote
beautiful!

keep an eye on your rear spokes at the eyelet. i've been through two of those Flow rims due to cracking...

cachaulo wrote:
Chromag Rootdown
First ride, I think I love this bike...

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 9:35 Quote
SC38 wrote:
Hahaha essentially looking for others to help me justify my spending.

There's no way to justify the Ti Surface IMO at that price. I'm sure they will sell every one they make, but for me, at that price, it needs to be locally built.

Being built overseas, though quality may be as good or better than local built, doesnt carry the cache a $3500 frame needs to carry.

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 14:05 Quote
The best part about the surface is it makes a great beer hauler when not in the woods...On my way to a local music festival last weekend.

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 17:13 Quote
ronufoh wrote:
SC38 wrote:
Hahaha essentially looking for others to help me justify my spending.

There's no way to justify the Ti Surface IMO at that price. I'm sure they will sell every one they make, but for me, at that price, it needs to be locally built.

Being built overseas, though quality may be as good or better than local built, doesnt carry the cache a $3500 frame needs to carry.

I second this. Beauty bike, but for 3500 bucks frame only, you could get a regular surface handmade in BC with kick ass custom paint and have money to spend blinging it out with some Onyx hubs or a top end Fox 36, which will feel way cooler than the titanium will.

You could also get a custom bike for about that price.

3600 is just a lot of money for a hardtail.

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 8:59 Quote
So what would you consider fair price for the Ti Surface.... I know Naked Bicycles is 4300.00 for a Ti frame... considering the surface is not BC made... what would be a price that would seem reasonable?

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 9:10 Quote
SC38 wrote:
So what would you consider fair price for the Ti Surface.... I know Naked Bicycles is 4300.00 for a Ti frame... considering the surface is not BC made... what would be a price that would seem reasonable?

I'm not saying Chromag is WAY over priced, it's more that Ti frames in general are quite expensive and for me don't offer enough of a return on investment, especially when Chromag already makes great bikes. I mean, it's a damn nice frame, but is it over two times nicer than a regular surface? That said, the Chromag is 600 more (almost a whole average steel frame) than a Ti Honzo, and it doesn't even have sliding dropouts. Ti honzo used to be made by Lynskey, too, but not sure now.

If you're a baller this whole debate is moot and if so I would absolutely reccomend you go with the Ti surface haha.

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 9:18 Quote
I am no baller. I do however love the Chromag bikes and have completely been impressed in my dealings with them... I have received a bit of an inheritance with the sole purpose of getting a bike... The Ti surface, while a bit over the top, seems to be a great option. I’ll see.

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 10:15 Quote
SC38 wrote:
I am no baller. I do however love the Chromag bikes and have completely been impressed in my dealings with them... I have received a bit of an inheritance with the sole purpose of getting a bike... The Ti surface, while a bit over the top, seems to be a great option. I’ll see.

SC38, I've been reading these posts for the last few days and was waiting as I formulated my thoughts.

My gut response was: ABSOLUTELY the Ti Surface is a perfect 1 bike solution!
At the same time...
I concur with other posters that the price is too high for what the bike is: a Taiwanese built Ti frame. (I had expected $2500USD for the Ti Surface)

NOW, please let me make a disclosure that supports those two points before I get to my final point.

I have zero complaints about MY "Taiwanese built" 2015 Rootdown which IS my only bike and which I ride in every MTB discipline including laps at the bike park (only avoid the really big stuff, which is beyond my ability anyway).

Final point: I knew the Ti Surface was coming and like you, am completely blown away by the product and service that Chromag provide. The Chromag ethos is on point and it counts for a lot! The price for the Surface Ti is high, but if you have already tested the current Surface Geo and it works for you, then I wouldn't hesitate to buy that ultimate Chromag with your inheritance money.

(I was ready to buy a Ti Surface at the pre-release but after riding the current geo (2017 Rootdown), I found that for me I preferred the older Chromag geo.Thus the Ti Surface just isn't quite right for me and my money would be likely better spent on a custom Ti frame.)

Best of Luck to you and your decision!

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 10:23 Quote
[Quote="geopedler"]
SC38 wrote:

(I was ready to buy a Ti Surface at the pre-release but after riding the current geo (2017 Rootdown), I found that for me I preferred the older Chromag geo.Thus the Ti Surface just isn't quite right for me and my money would be likely better spent on a custom Ti frame.)

Interesting about the 2015 vs 2018 geo, I have both frames and have recently been riding my new rootdown (photos a page back or so) I agree that the 2015 is excellent and may have the widest range of crossover disciplines it can comfortably handle. I have already noticed how capable the new geometry is for say, long rides... I have been punching big days quite comfortably on the new Geo. Anyways, I would say since you love them so much, I have a rolling 2015 frame for sale, but yours won't wear out before you (or I) do. I do think I will regret getting rid of the frameset, the geo is well thought out.
I am basically just holding out for the perfect timing for a Ti Surface, it seems like the life of the party.

Also own a fs trail bike and ride it a lot.

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 10:31 Quote
SC38 wrote:

Well, if you get that thing you better post some photos of the whole build! I don't think anyone doubts it'll be a great bike, I'm just cheap. Matching Chris King Hubs & Headset, or something of the same quality will take the bike to the next level.

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 10:32 Quote
[Quote="skidrc"]
geopedler wrote:
SC38 wrote:

Interesting about the 2015 vs 2018 geo, I have both frames and have recently been riding my new rootdown (photos a page back or so) I agree that the 2015 is excellent and may have the widest range of crossover disciplines it can comfortably handle. I have already noticed how capable the new geometry is for say, long rides... I have been punching big days quite comfortably on the new Geo. Anyways, I would say since you love them so much, I have a rolling 2015 frame for sale, but yours won't wear out before you (or I) do. I do think I will regret getting rid of the frameset, the geo is well thought out.
I am basically just holding out for the perfect timing for a Ti Surface, it seems like the life of the party.

Also own a fs trail bike and ride it a lot.

Yeah, I had really hoped the new longer geo was what I was looking for. Unfortunately the steeper seat angle kind of undid the longer top tube and did not end up lengthening my TT. Furthermore, I simply could not "get the seat out of my backside" so to say when out of the saddle etc. I also find that 140mm fork is a sweet spot for me, which is a little short on the new geo and exacerbates the problems above (steeper SA, seat forward).

All to say, I TOTALLY dig my Chromag and simply cannot say enough good about it!

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025907
Mobile Version of Website