Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 12:08 Quote
It's been shown in here that the Bontrager SE4 29x2.6 does not fit in the frame (Surface).

I'm looking for something thats high volume and pretty fast rolling for the Shenandoah 100, play to my weaknesses (roads and dirt roads)

Has anyone tried or seen the new Bontrager SE2 29x2.6?

How about some other recommendations . . . I thought Specialized had a Slaughter in a 29x2.6, but it seems to just be the Butcher . . .

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2018 at 22:56 Quote
Ru-tang wrote:

How about some other recommendations . . .

2.4 WTB Trail Boss TCS light/fast. Wider and taller than the Specialized 2.6 tires. Fits a Surface on a 30mm ID rim

Posted: Jul 14, 2018 at 8:30 Quote
2.4 Bontrager XR4 fits fine (30mm ID rim) and is an excellent all around chunky tire. Adds a bit of Cush but not too much rolling resistance or weight.

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2018 at 12:23 Quote
photo

I got my Primer last August as I was leaving Whistler for the season, so I didn't get a chance to really put the bike through its paces until recently.

I've only ever ridden burly 160mm dualies around B.C. I was — and still am — full of self-doubt and apprehension when dropping into a trail for the first time on this hardtail.

"Will I be able to do this?"

"No margin for error here. Don't f*ck up."

I've now spent the last couple weeks up and down the coast, revisiting trails one-by-one. From the machine-built flow in Bellingham, to the steep ass gnar of Whistler's west side, I think I'm falling deeper and deeper in love with this whole "steel is real" thing.

It's amazing how quickly the self-doubt disappears — often within the first couple turns. Yes, on occasion, the lack of suspension is quick to remind me when I am being lazy with my body position, but most of the time it just feels like home.

Mostly out of self-preservation, I am picking my way through cleaner lines — lines that feel slower, but somehow, end up just as fast as when I used to "point and shoot". And, of course, this thing is crushing the climbs.

I haven't been this excited in years to ride the same old trails, and I have my Primer to thank for that! Love it!

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2018 at 12:29 Quote
davecheng wrote:
photo

I got my Primer last August as I was leaving Whistler for the season, so I didn't get a chance to really put the bike through its paces until recently.

I've only ever ridden burly 160mm dualies around B.C. I was — and still am — full of self-doubt and apprehension when dropping into a trail for the first time on this hardtail.

I've now spent the last couple weeks up and down the coast, revisiting trails one-by-one. From the machine-built flow in Bellingham, to the steep ass gnar of Whistler's west side, I think I'm falling deeper and deeper in love with this whole "steel is real" thing.

It's amazing how quickly the self-doubt disappears — often within the first couple turns. Yes, on occasion, the lack of suspension is quick to remind me when I am being lazy with my body position, but most of the time it just feels like home.

Mostly out of self-preservation, I am picking my way through cleaner lines — lines that feel slower, but somehow, end up just as fast as when I used to "point and shoot". And, of course, this thing is crushing the climbs.

I haven't been this excited in years to ride the same old trails, and I have my Primer to thank for that! Love it!

When you get into a groove on a hardtail it's a great thing. I find it best if I don't switch back & forth too much from rear squish to no squish, cause it feels jarring, but after a few weeks of hardtailing you can forget why you thought rear suspension was so great.

Nice shot!

Posted: Jul 14, 2018 at 14:52 Quote
davecheng wrote:

I know that feeling. Spent the day on my Rootdown yesterday riding forest climbs and rocky descents, but I never once felt at a disadvantage to my full squish.
photo
Rootdown in it's natural habitat
photo
The other view from the bench

Did a bit of A/B testing in the end and took the Stumpy on the final climb and back down. I have to say, it was better on the hardtail (the full squish hit the Buy n Sell a few minutes ago). There is something pure about riding a hardtail in the mountains.

Nice shot BTW!

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2018 at 15:56 Quote
south-rider wrote:
davecheng wrote:

I know that feeling. Spent the day on my Rootdown yesterday riding forest climbs and rocky descents, but I never once felt at a disadvantage to my full squish.
photo
Rootdown in it's natural habitat
photo
The other view from the bench

Did a bit of A/B testing in the end and took the Stumpy on the final climb and back down. I have to say, it was better on the hardtail (the full squish hit the Buy n Sell a few minutes ago). There is something pure about riding a hardtail in the mountains.

Nice shot BTW!

Sick Bike was big fan on my Root down in Alberta

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 14:32 Quote
JesseE wrote:
When you get into a groove on a hardtail it's a great thing. I find it best if I don't switch back & forth too much from rear squish to no squish, cause it feels jarring, but after a few weeks of hardtailing you can forget why you thought rear suspension was so great.

Nice shot!

Thanks!

If nothing else, the hardtail is teaching me to relax and let the bike do its thing underneath me. This is especially so when things get hairy. I find I'm much more aggressive over the front end as well. I love it.

photo

I'm about to swap out the Guide RSC brakes for Shimano XT. All of my other bikes have Shimano brakes, and I am used to their sharp initial bite and modulation profile. I've already found myself ripping down a couple long, steep slabs at scary speeds because of the difference in feel with the Guides.

I'll have to hold my nose with the Shimano/SRAM brake/drivetrain interbreeding, though. lol

photo

I stopped by the Chromag shop yesterday to grab a spare hanger, and also picked up one of Pete Fowler's cleverly designed tools, this Pinner Thru-Tool (above). It uses the rear thru-axle as a handle to remove the 20mm nut holding the Primer's derailleur hanger. So cool!

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 18:27 Quote
Just got one of those Pinner tools as well. They are awesome. Almost makes me wish for a broken hangar to use it on.

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 19:32 Quote
photo

photo

It was 33°C in the Whistler valley today so I decided to cheat and take the lift to the peak.

I rode the Peak to Creek — bike version! — involving Top of the World, Khyber, Middle of Nowhere, Kashmir, Kush, and Boyd's, all the way back down to Creekside. First time doing it on a hardtail, too.

The Primer crushed the 1500 metre descent in record time for me — it took just over an hour and a half. The 2.8s felt like they had infinite grip in the loose, dusty chutes and I've never attacked this route with as much confidence before.

I love this thing to bits.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 11:53 Quote
davecheng wrote:
photo

photo

It was 33°C in the Whistler valley today so I decided to cheat and take the lift to the peak.

I rode the Peak to Creek — bike version! — involving Top of the World, Khyber, Middle of Nowhere, Kashmir, Kush, and Boyd's, all the way back down to Creekside. First time doing it on a hardtail, too.

The Primer crushed the 1500 metre descent in record time for me — it took just over an hour and a half. The 2.8s felt like they had infinite grip in the loose, dusty chutes and I've never attacked this route with as much confidence before.

I love this thing to bits.

Man, you're getting me all fired up to build my primer when I get home from work in a couple weeks! Brakes and handlebar just shipped, all's that is left is to order the fork

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 12:16 Quote
auzzy-man wrote:
Man, you're getting me all fired up to build my primer when I get home from work in a couple weeks! Brakes and handlebar just shipped, all's that is left is to order the fork

Nice! It is such a rad bike. Post your bike when it's built!

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 12:55 Quote
Just switched from a DHF DHRII combo to a DHF Rekon combo on my Rootdown. The bike is an absolute rocket up down and on the flats now. Cornering is nearly just as good, braking is adequate, but the speed with the faster rolling rear is unreal. I found myself going way too fast on some local trails!

Posted: Jul 28, 2018 at 2:33 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/16162555

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018561
Mobile Version of Website