Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Aug 19, 2018 at 20:11 Quote
Just had my first ride after installing a cush core and I'm totally sold. It allows me to run a more reasonable pressure without flatting... I was needing like 39-40 before, and now I'm good at 32. This has done a ton to balance out the feel of the bike while also letting me not stress about pinching. Just did a big ride here on Mt Lemmon and had times that weren't too far behind my Wreckoning. This thing is a riot now.

Rootdown on Lemmon

Posted: Aug 19, 2018 at 22:35 Quote
Holy 39-40psi... Thats about what XC racers use--back in 1995

Props to you for being able to ride way up there, even at 32.

I run around 22 front, 24 rear

Posted: Aug 20, 2018 at 15:31 Quote
I'll probably regret asking this...but...tell me more about the difference? I'm on my second Surface, and curious about what could possibly be better?! Smile

playdead wrote:

Just took mine out for a spin today. I had my Surface for about 4 years. What a difference this bike is...

Posted: Aug 20, 2018 at 22:03 Quote
vonP wrote:
I'll probably regret asking this...but...tell me more about the difference? I'm on my second Surface, and curious about what could possibly be better?! Smile

playdead wrote:

Just took mine out for a spin today. I had my Surface for about 4 years. What a difference this bike is...

The lower bottom bracket really makes it corner like a dream. I also noticed right off the bat how much more stable the bike is at high speeds and rough terrain with the longer reach/top tube. It’s very well balanced in the air. I always felt like my center gravity was too high on the surface which made me feel a little sketchy at times when getting a good amount of air. I feel in complete control on the Primer.

I’ve heard that the new surface is amazing as well. I’ve ridden with the chromag guys here and there and they all told me to go the extra bit and get the primer instead of the Surface. I originally wanted to go with the Surface, but decided to go for a bigger contrast...

Posted: Aug 20, 2018 at 22:11 Quote
Curiously, I'm considering moving on from my Primer and into a Surface.

If anyone's curious in here I can offer up a sweet package for frame/fork/27.5+ wheel/rubber package. PM is key

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 11:23 Quote
playdead wrote:
vonP wrote:

playdead wrote:
[/PI]

The lower bottom bracket really makes it corner like a dream. I also noticed right off the bat how much more stable the bike is at high speeds and rough terrain with the longer reach/top tube. It’s very well balanced in the air. I always felt like my center gravity was too high on the surface which made me feel a little sketchy at times when getting a good amount of air. I feel in complete control on the Primer.

I’ve heard that the new surface is amazing as well. I’ve ridden with the chromag guys here and there and they all told me to go the extra bit and get the primer instead of the Surface. I originally wanted to go with the Surface, but decided to go for a bigger contrast...

What this guy said. I liked my old rootdown, but a lower BB and longer reach make such a difference in handling.

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 13:04 Quote
I came from a Kona Taro, which had 65 mm bb drop (pretty low). I find my Rootdown BA, which replaced it, to feel noticeably higher than the Kona did. The previous Rootdown felt even taller. So while the new Chromags are lower than the old ones, they’re still not super low.

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 20:24 Quote
playdead wrote:
vonP wrote:

playdead wrote:

So...I guess that your 4 year old Surface would be of the same generation as my mine, which I got in February 2016. It's still my all-time favourite bike, but sometimes I consider updating to the latest Surface. I wonder what the comparo would be between the latest Surface and your Primer? An awesome looker BTW! Anyone ridden both?

RE: tire pressure. 32 still seems like a lot! I'm a big guy at 210 geared up, currently running tubeless 2.3 DHF and Aggressor F/R on 25 mm inside width rims, and I find that 25F 27R is the sweet spot for me. Worth a try.....

Edit to add- my Surface is finished in the traditional DeKerf emerald green metallic clear coat. It's been a bit prone to chipping which doesn't really bother me, as my attitude is that it's a bike that is meant to be ridden hard and not babied. But.... I do kind of wish I had applied some 3m protection in spots, for enhanced resale value should I decide to re-up to a newer Surface.

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 21:14 Quote

There was some interesting eye-candy on display at Chromag today.

Posted: Aug 21, 2018 at 23:30 Quote
That oil slick paint is very tasty, and well done. Drool...

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 10:33 Quote
davecheng wrote:

There was some interesting eye-candy on display at Chromag today.

Which frame is that?

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 10:59 Quote
hani12 wrote:
Which frame is that?

I think the oil slick frame is a Rootdown. The finish isn't paint, but rather, some sort of fancy anodizing done in Taiwan. I think it's really stunning.

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 15:10 Quote
Stunning??.....it'bad ass!!!!

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 17:47 Quote
davecheng wrote:

I think the oil slick frame is a Rootdown. The finish isn't paint, but rather, some sort of fancy anodizing done in Taiwan. I think it's really stunning.

Not anodizing,it's a process called physical vapor deposition.
Apparently quite an extensive and expensive process.

I don't really like the look to be honest,but i'm old........ and get off my lawn!

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 18:02 Quote
rideonjon wrote:
davecheng wrote:

Not anodizing,it's a process called physical vapor deposition.
Apparently quite an extensive and expensive process.

I don't really like the look to be honest,but i'm old........ and get off my lawn!

I agree. A little too flashy

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028253
Mobile Version of Website