Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2018 at 18:02 Quote
if anyone feels like a trade for a large 2015 Samurai 65 in Orange then please let me know. Looking to try out some bigger wheels. May be interested in a Surface or Rootdown frame also.

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 10:38 Quote
My frame came in last week. Couldn't be happier with how the build turned out. The ride is amazing.

photo
photo
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 11:05 Quote
khaaymamk wrote:
My frame came in last week. Couldn't be happier with how the build turned out. The ride is amazing.

photo

photo

photo

photo

Damn! That is a baller build! How are you liking the Helm on your Surface?

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 12:10 Quote
photo

photo

You motivated me to post a few pictures of my Ti Surface. Such a great bike. I think I need the green Chromag LTD saddle though.

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 12:49 Quote
Pedantic wrote:
khaaymamk wrote:

photo
photo
photo
photo

Damn! That is a baller build! How are you liking the Helm on your Surface?

I only have one ride on the Helm. I'm impressed with it. I'll let you know if that changes.

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 12:53 Quote
SC38 wrote:
photo

photo

You motivated me to post a few pictures of my Ti Surface. Such a great bike. I think I need the green Chromag LTD saddle though.

Awesome build! A green LTD would be the finishing touch. How do you like those Onyx hubs?

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 12:58 Quote
I am pleased with the hubs. Still early days with them but the silence is pretty cool. Not something I thought would matter but it is surprisingly cool.

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 13:16 Quote
Both of those bikes are just Sick...Nice work guys..

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 16:52 Quote
SC38 wrote:
photo

photo

Great build

How do you like the carbon hoops on hardtail. I’ve been thinking about building up a set for my rootdown.

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 16:53 Quote
DMal wrote:
My Rootdown BA destroys rear wheels. The geometry makes me want to smash into stuff really hard. I have now resorted to CushCore and so far so good.

I am with you in this one. The cushcore made a huge difference.

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 17:09 Quote
The-BIG-GT wrote:
hani12 wrote:
The-BIG-GT wrote:
Running 2.6 NNs on Aeffect R 30mm rims with zero issues, on my 2015 Rootdown (pre-BA).

No re-dish required (and I am >200lbs!).

I had too much rub with the 29x2.6 NN on my 1st gen rootdown BA. I am going to try the Hans Dampf 2.6 and magic Mary 2.6 combo. I’ll dish a bit if needed

It seems strange that the older, pre-Boost, non-BA Rootdown has more clearance for the wider 29er tire/rim combos but I've heard this from quite a few owners of the newer frames.

My 2015 frame has plenty of clearance for the 29er wheels it was solely designed for (although here in the PNW the mud doesn't clag as it does in other areas) but doesn't allow for similar width 27.5 wheels as the chainstay bridge on the drive side curves in at just the wrong place.

For that, you would need to redish and even then that might not work.

I think the issue for a large 29x2.6 comes down to the Chainstay length. The pre BA version was 429mm and the BA is 415. Once I saw this it made sense cause the tightest spot for the larger tire is towards the font of the yokel.

Posted: Oct 29, 2018 at 19:57 Quote
Both these Ti builds have me drooling... And I'm not normally a fan of purple, but - dayum. Nice builds, both of you.

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2018 at 9:49 Quote
I have been really pleased with the carbon rims. I was hesitant at first worrying about it being too stiff but I am a bigger guy and with the Ti I couldn't be happier. Stiff but not too harsh. The lifetime warranty on the rims sold me and the ride quality has been great. I wouldn't hesitate... although ride quality between steel and titanium is a bit different and may make a difference in how the carbon feels.

hani12 wrote:
SC38 wrote:
photo

photo

Great build

How do you like the carbon hoops on hardtail. I’ve been thinking about building up a set for my rootdown.

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2018 at 15:19 Quote
Green saddle ties it all together... I think I’m done Smile

photo

photo

Posted: Nov 3, 2018 at 15:31 Quote
Sharp lookin bike..

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.046978
Mobile Version of Website