Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 10:36 Quote
Baksi wrote:
@Atron80 Care to share what frame size is your bike? I'm ready for my purchase of 19 rootdown but I'm between 5'7"-5'8" wondering if I should go Medium or M/L frame. Thanks.

Not @Atron80, but like him I’m 5’11” on a M/L.

Also like him, I’d recommend the M for your height.

Los

Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 21:35 Quote
Baksi wrote:
@Atron80 Care to share what frame size is your bike? I'm ready for my purchase of 19 rootdown but I'm between 5'7"-5'8" wondering if I should go Medium or M/L frame. Thanks.

I am 5’7” and went with the medium 2018 Rootdown. the slack geo and longer reach make it feel just right with a 30mm stem. You could probably go medium and then adjust with stem to fine tune.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 14:10 Quote
Building up a Surface. What fork offset is everyone using? Standard is 46 I believe, but keep coming across 51 mm offset as well.

Any input appreciated!

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 16:19 Quote
Tallboy73 wrote:
Building up a Surface. What fork offset is everyone using? Standard is 46 I believe, but keep coming across 51 mm offset as well.

Any input appreciated!

51mm is standard as far as I know. I'm happy with 51 on my mine.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 4:21 Quote
Sorry to hijack this thread but I need advice. I know it’s not a Rootdown but I have a 2017 Stylus size L and I’m thinking even though I am 6’ it’s a bit long for even me. It’s not near as “playful” (I hate that word) as I would like and the front end is very hard to pick up. I’m not the best rider but I have decent bike handling skills and my current Stylus and I are not getting along. It’s also feels like way to much bike on my local trails here in the Midwest USA. I know the sizing on the newer models is similar across the board so I was wonder what size most 6’ riders are going with. I want something for regular “aggressive” XC on undulating terrain so I’m gonna swap my parts to a Wideangle but since the reach measurements are the same as the Stylus and similar to the Rootdown I’m not sure if I should go with a M/L instead of a L. Thanks for any input.

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 10:24 Quote
Tallboy73 wrote:

Any input appreciated!

I have a bike with geo not far off the rootdown and I run a 42mm offset fork 140mm. It feels a lot more nimble than my Kona Process 111 that has 140mm 51mm offset, even though the latter is slacker. If you read up on Transitions philosophy it makes sense and they can probably describe it better than I can. You get more pressure in the front wheel going down, while reducing the wheelbase a bit. It's not a huge difference, but noticeable. I like it on my trails which are tight and twisty. Not the best response, but hope it helps a bit. that said, I'd probably get the Chromag people to recommend the best offset.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 at 13:20 Quote
JesseE wrote:
Tallboy73 wrote:

Any input appreciated!

I have a bike with geo not far off the rootdown and I run a 42mm offset fork 140mm. It feels a lot more nimble than my Kona Process 111 that has 140mm 51mm offset, even though the latter is slacker. If you read up on Transitions philosophy it makes sense and they can probably describe it better than I can. You get more pressure in the front wheel going down, while reducing the wheelbase a bit. It's not a huge difference, but noticeable. I like it on my trails which are tight and twisty. Not the best response, but hope it helps a bit. that said, I'd probably get the Chromag people to recommend the best offset.

Thanks for the info!

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 3:37 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
Sorry to hijack this thread but I need advice. I know it’s not a Rootdown but I have a 2017 Stylus size L and I’m thinking even though I am 6’ it’s a bit long for even me. It’s not near as “playful” (I hate that word) as I would like and the front end is very hard to pick up. I’m not the best rider but I have decent bike handling skills and my current Stylus and I are not getting along. It’s also feels like way to much bike on my local trails here in the Midwest USA. I know the sizing on the newer models is similar across the board so I was wonder what size most 6’ riders are going with. I want something for regular “aggressive” XC on undulating terrain so I’m gonna swap my parts to a Wideangle but since the reach measurements are the same as the Stylus and similar to the Rootdown I’m not sure if I should go with a M/L instead of a L. Thanks for any input.

I‘m about the same size as you and I have a Rootdown in M/L and I would say it fits me perfectly.
However a friend of mine who is about 6” as well has got a 2017 Stylus in M/L. At first he had similar problems to what you described, but since he is running a handlebar with a bit more rise and a spacer below the stem his bike is true ripper. I think it’s down to the short headtube length in combination with fairly long reach for a Hardtail. On a size L frame I expect this issue to be more apparent.

In fact it’s so fun that I honestly don’t know if I like the Stylus or the Rootdown more.

So I guess a M/L should be the right choice for you.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 4:08 Quote
MtHennig wrote:
Dougdirt wrote:

I‘m about the same size as you and I have a Rootdown in M/L and I would say it fits me perfectly.
However a friend of mine who is about 6” as well has got a 2017 Stylus in M/L. At first he had similar problems to what you described, but since he is running a handlebar with a bit more rise and a spacer below the stem his bike is true ripper. I think it’s down to the short headtube length in combination with fairly long reach for a Hardtail. On a size L frame I expect this issue to be more apparent.

In fact it’s so fun that I honestly don’t know if I like the Stylus or the Rootdown more.

So I guess a M/L should be the right choice for you.
Thanks! I agree. I just ordered the M/L Wideangle. Just put the Stylus (L) for sale if anyone wants one!

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 21:02 Quote
Atron80 wrote:
Baksi wrote:

5’11” on a M/L with a 50mm stem and 780 Chromag bars. I might try a 45 stem at some point but it feels great with the 50. Pretty similar to my L Following (I know technically the Chromags reach is longer).

It’s all in the numbers buddy. Not sure what you’re comfortable with... BUT I would think M/L would be too big. Post up some pics when you build it up!

Thanks Buddy... Order is placed just waiting for the bike hopefully in couple months. I went with Medium and Harvest gold color (yellow) this bike send be back with my 90's BMX. :-) Thanks.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 21:06 Quote
WOW... I just did back reading and was really surprised with the reply comment for my question. Really appreciate it. Thank you Guys.

Posted: Jan 15, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
Black's Cycles in Comox has a M/L and L Rootdown frame in stock. If you live in the valley I suggest you get in on the hardtail resurgenceWink . Very beautiful frames.

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 9:59 Quote
Sold my 2017 stylus and just picked up my 2019 rootdown frame. I am stoked about the geometry updates this year. Hopefully have it all together in another week or so!

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 10:38 Quote
off topic: anyone knows about the Tomahawk ?

Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 21:04 Quote
shaloUCH wrote:
off topic: anyone knows about the Tomahawk ?
What do you want to know?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.155209
Mobile Version of Website