Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 3:28 Quote
THE-GUNT wrote:
shaloUCH wrote:
off topic: anyone knows about the Tomahawk ?
What do you want to know?

Geo, specs, release date, whatever

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 7:03 Quote
I hope it's a new frame, not the crap tire.

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 7:17 Quote
Legbacon wrote:
I hope it's a new frame, not the crap tire.

Yes, the frame

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
Isn't the tomahawk just chromag's rigid fork?

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 8:02 Quote

Exactly. From the same post: "chromagbikes. @alteryouralter more info in a couple months. First production is likely to complete around November"...

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 16:58 Quote
photo

Just landed! I think I’m good to go how it is.. possibly going to swap the 2.4’s out for 2.6. Anyone ridden both? Worth changing?

Also plan to lose the white fork decals but not sure whether to go stealth or orange.

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 17:06 Quote
I think either one will look good..Sick bike..

Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 18:04 Quote
Thanks Hammer. I made the silly mistake of selling my Surface to buy a new fully. After several trips to local shops I realized everything looked like a cheap toy compared to my Chromag. I’m excited to see how the slightly slacker Rootdown handles compared to the Surface. I learned my lesson.. you can’t beat the quality and especially can’t beat the vibe and outstanding service that the fine staff at Chromag provide.

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2019 at 20:03 Quote
shaloUCH wrote:
off topic: anyone knows about the Tomahawk ?

I think it was an experiment in the realm of super slack\long. Not sure that they're committed to adding it into the regular fray. But I'm not 100% on this info. Just my impression.

Posted: Jan 20, 2019 at 6:50 Quote
Williare wrote:

Just landed! I think I’m good to go how it is.. possibly going to swap the 2.4’s out for 2.6. Anyone ridden both? Worth changing?

Also plan to lose the white fork decals but not sure whether to go stealth or orange.

I run a 2.6 front and 2.4 out back. 2.6 for sure rubs out back, but others have redished and made it work. The extra grip up front is nice, but I'm sure a 2.4 would be just fine as well.

I added some orange retro decals. I'd do proper custom ones next time to get the exact tone of orange (Panetone Orange).

XL Chormag Rootdown

Posted: Jan 20, 2019 at 6:51 Quote
Williare wrote:
photo

I’d go 2.6, or 2.8, takes the sting out of the hardtail. I stuck a huck Norris insert in my rear tire too just as an added bit of cushion.

Posted: Jan 20, 2019 at 9:20 Quote
First off just want to apologize if I’m not posting properly. No experience and not sure how to respond to the original message.. use the “quote” button?

Ndirienzo I really like your choice with the retro decals. Who would you use for custom Pantone Orange decals?

Rescue, I tossed around the idea of 27x2.8, but after coming off my plus tire SC Chameleon, I prefer 29 for my terrain. I’m guessing u were referring to a 29x2.8 up front? I agree the beef up front helps huge with control. I’m hoping the Rootdown even with a 2.4 out back will rival my plus tire Chameleon in smoothness based on the steel over aluminum factor.

My SC had full 3” on it though, which was my only experience in the plus world. They felt vague and squirmy to me, but I think a 2.8 with firmer sidewall would have been right on the money.

Posted: Jan 20, 2019 at 10:02 Quote
I tried my Rootdown as a 29er first, it was quick but I already had a pivot 429 trail at the time and have replaced that with a trek fuel ex 9.9 so I decide to get a plus wheelset for the Rootdown. It’s more playful for sure, not a super fast bike but really fun in the rough stuff. I have 2.8 minions front and rear. Big fork is the answer to make Chromags really sing.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.367092
Mobile Version of Website