Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 9:15 Quote
Hi all,
I'm in need of a trail/enduro bike to fill the gap between my DH and dirt jump bikes. I'm considering a Large primer (I'm 6'2") cause they look sweet & ride awesome; I've heard really good things from people that own them. Also considering a Rocky Slayer cause I can get the new one for a really good price.

Came to this thread to ask all of you for your opinion - I'm leaning towards the hardtail at the moment but I'm wondering how well they handle compared to a full suspension on more aggressive, rocky trails. I don't race enduro (yet), speed isn't my top priority, just wanna have some fun. I'd mostly be riding trails similar to Khyber, Kashmir, Kush, and anything on Seymour or Fromme. Which bike would you pick for this kind of riding if you had access to both?

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 9:46 Quote
rfrench wrote:
Hi all,
I'm in need of a trail/enduro bike to fill the gap between my DH and dirt jump bikes. I'm considering a Large primer (I'm 6'2") cause they look sweet & ride awesome; I've heard really good things from people that own them. Also considering a Rocky Slayer cause I can get the new one for a really good price.

Came to this thread to ask all of you for your opinion - I'm leaning towards the hardtail at the moment but I'm wondering how well they handle compared to a full suspension on more aggressive, rocky trails. I don't race enduro (yet), speed isn't my top priority, just wanna have some fun. I'd mostly be riding trails similar to Khyber, Kashmir, Kush, and anything on Seymour or Fromme. Which bike would you pick for this kind of riding if you had access to both?

i ride my Surface on Fromme all the time, and have never felt under-gunned. that said, i don't know seymour as well as i know Fromme, and find myself less comfortable and wanting a more forgiving bike, like a full suspension bike. if you're going to be racing enduro, i'd go FS. if you're going to race something like Nimby, i'd go HT.

Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 10:18 Quote
JoelTGM wrote:
SC38 wrote:
hmmm seems to me that an L might be the answer Wink I am 6'2 and thats what I ride.

I'm 6'2" on a large as well. XL would be harder to handle.

6'3", 2017 L Surface

I think this year's frame is not quite as long as the newest year, but it's still the longest frame I've ever ridden, and I like it a lot.

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 10:35 Quote
rfrench wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Rootdown BA and a Norco Range 29. I can definitely ride similar terrain on either. The big difference, though, is forgiveness. The hardtail requires full focus all the time, is quite tiring as a result, and punishes sloppy riding. If I could only have one bike, it would be my Range. (I live in North Van and know the terrain you're referring to well.)

Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 20:05 Quote
6'3" - 2018 XL Rootdown BA, a bit long wheelbase/reach for a dirt jumper imo but an excellent trail bike all around.

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 16:38 Quote
Is the Primer worth it over the Rootdown?

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 16:52 Quote
JP25 wrote:

Only if you value made in Canada and custom colour choice at a $1000+ premium.

I imagine you would be unable to tell the difference on a ride.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2019 at 5:07 Quote
Zaeius wrote:
JP25 wrote:

Only if you value made in Canada and custom colour choice at a $1000+ premium.

I imagine you would be unable to tell the difference on a ride.

I love fancy paint so much, but as a dad who's not independently wealthy I could never justify the premium. The made in Canada stuff is so good,though.

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 at 9:15 Quote
Also worth mentioning that Chromag will custom paint any of their frames, even the overseas models, for a pretty reasonable fee. That info came directly from Sean.

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 at 23:02 Quote
Dekerf handles their repaints to any colour you can imagine; it was $350cdn when I did my previous frame last year. It may be a few bucks more to have Chromag do it and supply the decals/shipping/etc.

Posted: Feb 17, 2019 at 7:29 Quote
I've recently purchased a used 2017 Surface. It looks like 27.5 X 3.0 tires will fit. Has anyone fit this size tire?
Great looking bike. Just have to wait for spring.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 11:37 Quote
Great inspiration in this thread, thanks to all for posting their builds.
I am looking at a med/large Rootdown (2018 model). I was wondering if someone could link or post pictures to builds of the med/large size. Hoping I have enough seatpost clearance for the 185mm Revive. Do folks think it will have enough room at my 5' 11.5"? (181.6cm, aparently Smile

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
I’m about your height on a m/l 2017 Rootdown and my 150mm seat post is up about and inch from the collar. I have a 32 inch Inseam. Not sure if this helps.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 19:06 Quote
rescuetool wrote:
I’m about your height on a m/l 2017 Rootdown and my 150mm seat post is up about and inch from the collar. I have a 32 inch Inseam. Not sure if this helps.

That is extremely helpful, I appreciate it. I think that will get me close enough to try it. Your pictures gave some great perspective as well. Thanks again!

Posted: Feb 21, 2019 at 5:24 Quote
Those pics have a 125mm dropper on my Rootdown. I’ve since put a 150 on. Such a fun bike you’ll love it

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014026
Mobile Version of Website