Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds

PB Forum :: 29ers
Chromag Rootdown & Surface (and maybe Primer) Builds
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 7:12 Quote
JesseE wrote:
ronufoh wrote:
The Surface is definitely better as an all rounder than the Rootdown/Primer, not to say that the gap is huge between the 2

If you aren't 100% tied to Chromag, the Cotic Solaris Max is a really nice option. Better all around geometry IMO, a little bit lighter weight, 'nicer' tubeset. Cotic also started doing free shipping to Canada, which makes the pricing roughly on par with the Taiwanese made Chromags.

I think it's a bit of a shame that Chromag went full aggo on the Rootdown and Primer, while not offering a Taiwanese (cheaper) more balanced 29er like the surface.

Have to second the Surface as being the most all around frame in the line up. Surface has been the best bike I have owned. I can see why Chromag leans towards the aggro side of things based on where they are located and what the terrain dictates. I can also see how they need to build bikes for the demand and the industry and appears most riders are saying longer and slacker. I’m certain, if people were buying more Surfaces than Primers and Rootdowns the demand would make an offshore version of the Surface and easy decision for Chromag.

Having said that, the Rootdown is fairly close to the Surface as a do everything bike. I haven’t ridden the 2019 Rootdown but from what I hear it pedals just as well as it’s previous models but little more capable going down.

That 853 Cotic Solaris Max does look like a really good balance of efficiency and capability!

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 7:45 Quote
Sweet. Thanks for all the feedback! Definitely helped me narrow down what it is I’m looking for. The search goes on.

Now if anyone is planning on parting with their rootdown/surface anytime soon... pm meWink

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 7:51 Quote
I have the 2019 Rootdown. It's better at technical climbing and tight switch backs than my 2014 process, which is about an inch shorter, smaller wheels, and steeper. I wouldn't see a problem using it as a all-arounder.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:07 Quote
The Surface is still an aggressive hardtail. Having had both I really believe the Surface is the more versatile of the two. It is an incredibly capable trail bike that can handle the gnarliest terrain. I say its more versatile because for the long all day epics it is a great pedalling bike. The Primer/Rootdown still pedal well just not quite the same... what you give up in slack geometry on the steeps you more than make up for on everything else... I also strongly believe that the geometry difference between the two is more than made up for in rider skill. If I am choosing Surface or Primer I am going with Surface everytime. Now... adding an Arcturian to the mix, that makes me excited.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 11:13 Quote
Rootdown. (Or Primer!)

I don't see how having a twitchier front end (64deg Vs 66deg) is a benefit on a long ride. When you're more tired do you want a bike that is more stable, or more sporty?

Road touring bikes are all longer (WB) and slacker (HA) than road bikes that are designed to be ridden for a couple of hours. Yes, you'll give up a little nimbleness at the start of the ride when you're feeling punchy - but remember it's going to be a long day.

Hardtails don't have a rear end to sag and maintain geometry, so (IMO) HA should be 2 ish deg slacker than an equivalent intended use FS bike. In this view 64deg is comparable with a 66deg HA FS bike which is not 'enduro' or gnarly bike territory these days. And 68deg (66deg +2) is practically XC race bike!

If your trails are mellow > Surface, if your trails get rowdy (and owning a Patrol suggests that) > Primer (or Rootdown).

The only thing I agree on that SC38 has written below is that rider skill can make a 66deg HA work just fine. However I draw the conclusion that i'd rather have the 64deg HA and give my skills a break, or save my ass when my skill level dips!

The frame weight difference between the two is negligible - I see 6.3 for the primer and 6.5Lbs for the Surface.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 11:23 Quote
My suggestion is spend time on both. See how you feel. Clearly we all have our biases. Feel just as comfortable riding gnarly North Shore trails on my Surface as I did my Primer and I enjoy longer days in the saddle on my Surface. All geometry and wheelbase measurements aside. Ultimately it comes down to how you feel and even how the bike fits. Both exceedingly capable and tons of overlap.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 13:02 Quote
SC38 wrote:
The Surface is still an aggressive hardtail. Having had both I really believe the Surface is the more versatile of the two. It is an incredibly capable trail bike that can handle the gnarliest terrain. I say its more versatile because for the long all day epics it is a great pedalling bike. The Primer/Rootdown still pedal well just not quite the same... what you give up in slack geometry on the steeps you more than make up for on everything else... I also strongly believe that the geometry difference between the two is more than made up for in rider skill. If I am choosing Surface or Primer I am going with Surface everytime. Now... adding an Arcturian to the mix, that makes me excited.

That's also my take on the Surface- versatile all-rounder. My intention was for it to fill the gap between my race oriented hardtail, and a burlier FS. Three seasons on- I opt for the Surface out of my 3 bikes, 95% of the time, whatever the trail. Never have tried a Rootdown or Primer though to compare. FWIW the Cotic Solaris was my second choice when I was looking for a new ride.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2019 at 23:44 Quote
Anybody got any photo updates or anything they have upgraded or replaced? I'm so impatiently waiting on my Rootdown to get shipped out to me. So I want to look at your builds in the mean time! Anybody got a new Rootdown already?

Posted: May 27, 2019 at 6:44 Quote
Pandalosi0 wrote:
Anybody got any photo updates or anything they have upgraded or replaced? I'm so impatiently waiting on my Rootdown to get shipped out to me. So I want to look at your builds in the mean time! Anybody got a new Rootdown already?

Same boat but should not be too much longer. They were boxing up frames to ship out last Tuesday..... hopefully those boxes made it to post last week and possibly this upcoming week .... fingies crossed

O+
Posted: May 27, 2019 at 7:10 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Pandalosi0 wrote:

Same boat but should not be too much longer. They were boxing up frames to ship out last Tuesday..... hopefully those boxes made it to post last week and possibly this upcoming week .... fingies crossed

I remember waiting riding a rigid kona unit till July waiting on my Rootdown - it hurt, figuratively and literally.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
JesseE wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Pandalosi0 wrote:

I remember waiting riding a rigid kona unit till July waiting on my Rootdown - it hurt, figuratively and literally.

That is literally what I am doing now haha! 2013 Kona Unit. But I'm only riding it to work these days and short gravel type rides. I've got an Evil Wreckoning for anything more. Planning on selling my Unit once the Rootdown shows up.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2019 at 17:08 Quote
Pandalosi0 wrote:
JesseE wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

That is literally what I am doing now haha! 2013 Kona Unit. But I'm only riding it to work these days and short gravel type rides. I've got an Evil Wreckoning for anything more. Planning on selling my Unit once the Rootdown shows up.
\

I got so used to the harshness (was my only bike), but then my first ride on the Rootdown and I came in so hot to a few turns I almost ate shit. Put the unit back in action and one ride on a rigid for after the buttery 140mm pike and I sold it. Never going back!

O+
Posted: May 27, 2019 at 17:16 Quote
JesseE wrote:
Pandalosi0 wrote:
JesseE wrote:

\

I got so used to the harshness (was my only bike), but then my first ride on the Rootdown and I came in so hot to a few turns I almost ate shit. Put the unit back in action and one ride on a rigid for after the buttery 140mm pike and I sold it. Never going back!

I was on a Trek Remedy for a couple years before gettin back onto the Unit. Definitely love the simplicity of it. Taught me the true importance of line choice haha! I don't see myself having anymore use of it once the Root shows up.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2019 at 17:44 Quote
great bike to ride to the bar.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011937
Mobile Version of Website