What inner tubes for DH?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What inner tubes for DH?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 16:17 Quote
I've been debating this amongst friends for a couple of days now and still can't come to a conclusion. I know a handful of us here prefer to run tubeless but I'd like to stick with tubes. Right now my debate is this, I have both Maxxis Downhill (1.5mm thickness) and Freeride (1.2mm thickness) tubes and I'm not sure which one would be best to use. Like many of us, I've just been roped into the weight game, they have a 300g weight difference between them.

Does it really make that big of a difference which tube you use? I recently punctured a DH tube simply by bunny hopping, am I right to assume you're going to get a puncture eventually no matter which tube you use?

Would any of you recommend any other brands of tubes to try? I use 2.5 minions and flow ex rims

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 16:31 Quote
I have personally noticed that the difference for a DH tube isn't really worth it. They are more expensive in most cases and heavier. If you're going to land hard, or hit a rock, or whatever it is that gives you a flat, the chances of the DH tube surviving it compared to a regular tube is very VERY slim in my opinion.... you'd have to hit a rock like a inch or so off or for the DH tube not to puncture. I could only guess that if you're a beginner rider and not really knowing on how to ride well that they could help? But for experienced riders who tend to go faster and harder then I don't see the difference. I run regular tubes and in the last 3 months of riding, changed out 1 rear tire.

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 16:45 Quote
It does not really matter what tubes you use but more so the thickness of the side walls on your tires. I used to run thick downhill tubes on my bike because I always had flats on my downhill. But I realised it was partly how easily the Marys punctured as they literally have no side walls. Instead now I just run 2 ply Minions with regular tubes and have had a flat since. Although the 2 ply tires may add some weight but who wants to be spending $60 on tubes a month when you can save it for your race fees.

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 at 21:38 Quote
I thought as much, the day I punctured my previous tubes I replaced it with a cheap set intended for 1.9" wheels, I rode it for an hour or so just fine. I've since replaced it though. Cheers for the responses guys, I'll change them once I head back home from class. Smile

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 12:04 Quote
Just out of curiousity, why don't you run tubeless?

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 16:05 Quote
heyyohan wrote:

For me personally, I run tubes for the peace of mind and the fact that it's really easy to replace after a puncture. As for tubeless I'm quite uneducated about what's compatible and what isn't, I currently have Flow EX rims and 2 ply minions, not sure if they'd work. Not to mention, the amount I know about bikes is more than any LBS here in my part of China. I haven't run across anyone running tubeless either to ask.

What's your take on tubeless by the way?

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 19:32 Quote
I cant think of any reason at all to run tubes. You have really good tubeless ready rims, so all you need is tubeless valves, yellow stans tape and sealant. The price is maybe equal to 2 tubes. You can run ridicilous low pressure, under 20 psi if you want, and you save up to 500g if you are using heavy tubes now. Give it a try! We live in 2015, the tube era is over many years agoSmile

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 19:53 Quote
As stated previously, I think the tires/sidewalls matter more than the tube. The burliest tubes available will still pinch flat if you have flimsy sidewalls on your tires.

I personally run tubeless. It has been lighter and more reliable for me than any DH tire/tube combination I've run previously.

Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 22:36 Quote
Skylight wrote:
heyyohan wrote:

For me personally, I run tubes for the peace of mind and the fact that it's really easy to replace after a puncture. As for tubeless I'm quite uneducated about what's compatible and what isn't, I currently have Flow EX rims and 2 ply minions, not sure if they'd work. Not to mention, the amount I know about bikes is more than any LBS here in my part of China. I haven't run across anyone running tubeless either to ask.

What's your take on tubeless by the way?

I've got an inner tube graveyard in my shed, got sick of it so just gone tubeless, will still take a spare tube when I ride, just in case but not expecting to need it.

I had a bit of a mare getting one tyre to stay up at first but a few days of faffing and I've learnt that its pretty simple once you know what your looking for.

Only issue I expect is a bit of burping but I take a gauged pump out anyway so shouldn't be a major problem.

Posted: Sep 24, 2015 at 15:18 Quote
Running tubeless is the only way to ride downhill, AS LONG as you have good tires. Didnt really believe all the tubeless hype until I tried it and now im sold. Got tired of replacing tubes and patching every ride. Changed to tubeless and now there are zero issues with having to patch tubes! Once you figure out a good tubeless setup it will take you maybe 15minutes a wheel to get setup. Hell I setup minions in a parking lot with Co2 and they held all weekend.

Posted: Sep 24, 2015 at 18:33 Quote
I've been riding for a long time now and haven't had any problems running tubes

Posted: Sep 26, 2015 at 17:01 Quote
I got a dozen flats in whistler last season on mavic 729s and minions , this season I switched my rear to tubeless 823 on a 2 ply DH non tubeless minions, before the park opened and 20 days later Ive got 1 flat which was a 1" gash on the sidewall so it was going flat regardless of tube/tubeless.
I will never again go back to tubes.

Posted: Jan 11, 2016 at 12:05 Quote
I got a flat at the bike park then the only tubes they had were Dh maxxis tubes, they were 26$ it got a small leak that day so now I need to pump it up every day just to get my full value back

Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 1:34 Quote
My first post....I'm trying out a set of Schwalbe Procore system with Schwalbe Hans Dampf 26". As soon as I hook it up later today, I'll post my observations. Wheels are Crank Brothers Opium DH on a 2012 Gt Fury Carbon World Cup.

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 at 20:28 Quote
Tubeless is absolutely the way to go. I highly suggest using orange seal sealant, it lasts a bit longer than stan's before it stops working working and I've noticed it doesn't "bleed" through the sidewalks quite as bad. Pretty much the same price. Soap will help you seat non tubeless tires if that's all you have or want to avoid the tubeless tires expense. Lastly, gorilla tape works as well or better than any of the proper rim tapes on the market.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012847
Mobile Version of Website