Tubeless Problems- Leaky Rim-Bead Interface

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Tubeless Problems- Leaky Rim-Bead Interface
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 24, 2015 at 2:03 Quote
I've just recently tried tubeless (Last night actually) DTswiss XM401 rims to Trail King Black Chilli Protection TLR using the Conti sealant
They both seated fine using a track pump, but the front tire is leaking around the rim (bubbling showing from the washing-up liquid method) and no matter of sloshing seems to seal the leaks (2 or three round the rim) it went down completely overnight .
I'm worried i didn't put enough sealant in or something.
Any tips?
Thanks in advance Smile

Posted: Sep 24, 2015 at 2:32 Quote
if you hear the sealant sloshing around you probably have more than enough in there.

have you..

pumped up to 50-55 PSI to make sure seated completely?
checked rim and tyre bead are clean and no dents etc in rim?

try

leave the wheel lying on its side flat and level ( use a bucket or similar so the axle is clear) for an hour or 2
sometimes a spin round the block will get the sealant to where it needs to be.

not unusual for the pressure to drop a bit overnight for the first week or so

Posted: Sep 24, 2015 at 3:23 Quote
iffy wrote:

leave the wheel lying on its side flat and level ( use a bucket or similar so the axle is clear) for an hour or 2
sometimes a spin round the block will get the sealant to where it needs to be.

This.

Definitely worth doing for those stubborn tubeless setups. Leave it on each side for a couple hours.

Are those rims set up tubeless? What tape have you got?

Posted: Sep 24, 2015 at 4:51 Quote
Hi Guys,
Yeah the rim and tire are both tubeless set up with gorilla tape or similar I believe (on when i got the wheels)
I didn't try leaving it on it's side or riding around the block i'll try that tonight!
I pumped it up to 60psi and i can confirm the bead is seated properly and the rim has no dents, it might be possible that there is some old tubeless fluid debris on the rim, i'll also check that Smile
Thanks

Posted: Sep 24, 2015 at 5:26 Quote
Ah good old Gorilla Tape! That's exactly what I am using on 2 sets of rims, neither of which are meant to be tubeless Wink

Works totally fine.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009509
Mobile Version of Website