2015 Pivot Phoenix Zee

PB Forum :: Downhill
2015 Pivot Phoenix Zee
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 27, 2015 at 11:23 Quote
Picking up a Pivot this Friday with the Zee and Boxxer Fork kit. Should i keep the Zee setup or swap my Sram xo Derailleur & Xo Shifter and throw Avid Codes on it or just keep the Zee setup and slowly upgrade to Saints in the Future ?
Thanks for your input!

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2015 at 15:25 Quote
As far as I know, there's not much difference between the saint and Zee groupo besides the tool-less reach adjust on the brake levers and maybe a few grams in weight. In my opinion, I don't think the value added by upgrading to saint justifies the additional cost.

The drive train could go either way, it all depends on your personal preference. Some people swear by shimano, others are all about SRAM. Here's my take. If your XO drivetrain is coming off your Norco, then I would go with the Zee. The shimano derailleurs tend to have a lower profile and tuck closer to the frame/wheel which makes it less susceptible to striking objects on the trail. Also, the Zee has a derailleur clutch which will probably run quieter/smoother than the older style XO you have. The only advantage I see to running the XO setup is that it is probably a tad less weight.

For the brakes, I would pick the Zee over the Avid Code any day. I've had much better luck with shimano brakes than Avid as far as performance and reliability. Also, when bleeding, I prefer working with mineral oil over DOT 5.1 fluid. The DOT fluid has been known to strip paint and degrade carbon fiber resin if it comes in contact with other parts of your bike.

Just my $0.02.

Posted: Sep 30, 2015 at 16:59 Quote
lead-sled wrote:
As far as I know, there's not much difference between the saint and Zee groupo besides the tool-less reach adjust on the brake levers and maybe a few grams in weight. In my opinion, I don't think the value added by upgrading to saint justifies the additional cost.

The drive train could go either way, it all depends on your personal preference. Some people swear by shimano, others are all about SRAM. Here's my take. If your XO drivetrain is coming off your Norco, then I would go with the Zee. The shimano derailleurs tend to have a lower profile and tuck closer to the frame/wheel which makes it less susceptible to striking objects on the trail. Also, the Zee has a derailleur clutch which will probably run quieter/smoother than the older style XO you have. The only advantage I see to running the XO setup is that it is probably a tad less weight.

For the brakes, I would pick the Zee over the Avid Code any day. I've had much better luck with shimano brakes than Avid as far as performance and reliability. Also, when bleeding, I prefer working with mineral oil over DOT 5.1 fluid. The DOT fluid has been known to strip paint and degrade carbon fiber resin if it comes in contact with other parts of your bike.

Just my $0.02.

Thank you so much, really appreciate all that info i think i'll stick with the Zee setup and leave it the way it is for the mean time the xo is about 3 years old so i'll just leave it on the Norco. Think i'll just try and snag some fox 40's in the near future and hustle the boxxer rc. Thanks again dude!

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 8:33 Quote
I think the cheapest option for you would be keep the Boxxer RC and upgrade the damper to the Charger cartridge for about $320 which will make it, basically, a brand new Boxxer team. Then throw in some aftermarket PUSH Industries fork seals and you have yourself a killer fork for about $360 US. The PUSH seals make a huge difference for the Boxxer. WAAAY less stiction.

Selling the Boxxer RC and buying a Fox 40 will probably be far more than $360 out of your pocket. I my opinion, upgrading to the 40 is not worth it unless you are absolutely adamant about having the Fox over the Rockshox.

For another $150-$180 you could also upgrade the Boxxer to a World Cup by replacing the coil spring assembly for the air spring assembly. This is probably not worth it unless you really really prefer the feel of air over coil or if the additional cost is worth the 300-400 grams of weight savings to you. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR BOXXER IS NEW or barely ridden.

Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 13:07 Quote
lead-sled wrote:
I think the cheapest option for you would be keep the Boxxer RC and upgrade the damper to the Charger cartridge for about $320 which will make it, basically, a brand new Boxxer team. Then throw in some aftermarket PUSH Industries fork seals and you have yourself a killer fork for about $360 US. The PUSH seals make a huge difference for the Boxxer. WAAAY less stiction.

Selling the Boxxer RC and buying a Fox 40 will probably be far more than $360 out of your pocket. I my opinion, upgrading to the 40 is not worth it unless you are absolutely adamant about having the Fox over the Rockshox.

For another $150-$180 you could also upgrade the Boxxer to a World Cup by replacing the coil spring assembly for the air spring assembly. This is probably not worth it unless you really really prefer the feel of air over coil or if the additional cost is worth the 300-400 grams of weight savings to you. ONLY DO THIS IF YOUR BOXXER IS NEW or barely ridden.

Hey dude thanks alot for the advice and information i was actually able to find a Charger Kit that was instock at the Bikeshop near the Mountain i ride at so they threw them in for me and took out the RC plastic shit. Such a big difference when going over the rooty and rock sections totally worth it i got it for 400+installed so i couldnt pass that up and be bother waiting to order one. Think over the Winter time i might actually get the Air Spring just for the hell of it really and im going to be ordering the PUSH Seals forsure over the Winter months !

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 15:06 Quote
If you are doing the air upgrade, make sure the inside of your stanchion tube does not have nicks and scratches from the spring rattling around inside it. If it does and you upgrade to the air cartridge anyway, you are probably going to have problems.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008742
Mobile Version of Website