Anyone have experience with Ohlins shocks?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Anyone have experience with Ohlins shocks?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 27, 2015 at 12:52 Quote
I recently bought a 2014 Enduro Expert Evo in barely used shape. The Ohlins ttx22m shock seems to be in perfect shape, as well, but it behaves strangely.

It makes a squeaking/swishing type noise any time it's moving. It sounds like seals going through a bore that has machining grooves, instead of a smooth bore. The pitch of the noise is speed dependent, and the same in compression and rebound. It doesn't sound like oil squishing. I tested it on a bench with no spring installed, and it sounds the same.

It's also not super plush. Lifting the rear end of the bike and letting it drop to the ground causes the rear wheel to skip once, doesn't sit flat on the ground. I tried 525lb and 480lb springs and every combination of rebound and compression damping. My friend's older Evo with the Fox coil over feels much more supple, and is silent. And lighter, too Smile This shock and spring is massive! 1.1kg for the whole assembly. But we knew that going in.

Do others have similar experiences with this shock, or did I get a bad one?

Posted: Sep 27, 2015 at 14:37 Quote
Sounds like something to do with oil and shims, maybe it requires a shim stack service and tune...?

Apart from that you are one lucky guy having an Ohlins coil, they are one of my most coveted shocks right now.

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 23:53 Quote
You would think, yet I'm not so impressed given my issues. Any actual owners with similar/different experiences with Ohlins?

Posted: Nov 26, 2015 at 21:17 Quote
I have the same sound coming from my shock, just thought that was normal.... I ride a demo 8

Posted: Nov 26, 2015 at 21:31 Quote
I have one on my Enduro. (Bought aftermarket)

It makes the same noise. It is annoying and unexpected, but I can only ever hear it when I'm going very slowly, up a climb. It's almost a hoarse breathing type noise, and I think, worse on compression.

Performance wise it's been great. The rear of the bike is like velcro.
I'm guessing the weight difference is the heavier spring. Mine is 975g with a 454lb spring
What do you weigh out of interest?

Ohlins TTX 22 weight

Posted: Nov 27, 2015 at 7:51 Quote
I've ridden one on Demo and the shock sounds similar. But performance was really great! Now I'm on CC DB and I think that Öhlins was much smoother.

Posted: Nov 27, 2015 at 8:36 Quote
Only on a mtb forum would anyone judge a shock on how quiet/noisy it is rather than actual effective performance, which the average rider likely has no idea about any way, lol

but that's just my view based on 20+ years of sports car racing shock experience ...

Posted: Nov 27, 2015 at 19:58 Quote
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
Only on a mtb forum would anyone judge a shock on how quiet/noisy it is rather than actual effective performance, which the average rider likely has no idea about any way, lol
but that's just my view based on 20+ years of sports car racing shock experience ...

Maybe a better analogy would be interior squeaks on your brand new road car. Not critical to performance, but annoying.

Sure if your shock is on a DH bike, like the Demo, then odds are you're riding fast, and with a full face. But in my case I spend a lot of time riding uphill. And I can hear every single little noise.

Posted: Nov 29, 2015 at 6:21 Quote
This is normal. Same situation on my mates 2015 demo

Posted: Dec 1, 2015 at 10:08 Quote
ChazzMichaelMichaels wrote:
Sure if your shock is on a DH bike, like the Demo, then odds are you're riding fast, and with a full face. But in my case I spend a lot of time riding uphill. And I can hear every single little noise.

Funny how the simplest things can be EXTREMELY annoying on long climbs. I feel the same way. I can live with creaks and clicks etc until i'm halfway up that long bitch of a climb...then I want to blow my brains out.

I recently bought a new Marzocchi fork (used to be a Marzocchi nut back in the day) after riding Fox and Rockshox for like a decade, and I was immediately taken back by the "squish squish" sound of the fork in action. I had completely forgotten about that "normal" and it was strangely comforting to hear it once again. Probably will drive me homocidal on climbs though.

Posted: Dec 1, 2015 at 10:42 Quote
Haha likewise bud.

Posted: Dec 2, 2015 at 2:52 Quote
I think you prolly should hear something as fluid and air are in almost constant motion inside the shock. The monarch plus hisses constantly. If the performance isn't there though, I would inquire with ohlins themselves. They will most likely be able to explain how to tune for your weight and style of riding.

Posted: Dec 4, 2015 at 1:05 Quote
I'm guessing the weight difference is the heavier spring. Mine is 975g with a 454lb spring
What do you weigh out of interest?

Ohlins TTX 22 weight

I weigh 145-150lb. I think even the 411lb spring would work for me. Could always preload it a bit if necessary. That might make it plush enough for the rear to sit and not bounce off the ground.

I weighed my shock with the yoke and through-bolt as well, so that's most of the difference.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i65.tinypic.com/m7xjra.jpg

Posted: Dec 5, 2015 at 23:08 Quote
steel3d wrote:
I tried 525lb and 480lb springs and every combination of rebound and compression damping.

At your weight from your last post you should be trying the 411 and 434 springs.
I'm 176lb with a full Camelbak, and have just ordered a 480 as the 457 is possibly a little soft.Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.sicklines.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ohlins-sring-rate-enduro-specialized.jpg

Posted: Mar 24, 2016 at 13:13 Quote
steel3d wrote:
I tried 525lb and 480lb springs and every combination of rebound and compression damping.

At your weight from your last post you should be trying the 411 and 434 springs.
I'm 176lb with a full Camelbak, and have just ordered a 480 as the 457 is possibly a little soft.Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.sicklines.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ohlins-sring-rate-enduro-specialized.jpg

ChazzMichaelMichael..Do you happen to know if this chart is the same for the 2015-2016 non evo model Enduro frames as far as rider-weight/spring-rate? I've been looking online for a chart but cant seem to find one besides the one you so helpfully provided along with the Demo one.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015432
Mobile Version of Website