How tight is TOO tight?

PB Forum :: Beginners
How tight is TOO tight?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 28, 2015 at 3:46 Quote
Specifically for the stem, how tight is too tight? Two days ago I changed placed my stem on the head , and tightened the bolts, but some paint came off the stem where the stem and the head of the bolt meet. How tight is too tight? Do you have to stop where your strength is enough or just where you think is enough? I didn't ruin my stem, did I?

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 15:49 Quote
Don't need to worry about the stem, you need to worry about the steerer tube inside, but saying most stems should have a torque spec printed on them. My giant stem said 6nm, I think my spank one is about the same. If you don't have a torque wrench, just stop when it is difficult (not impossible, difficult) to turn the stem around the steerer. Should be just tight enough to stay on there straight through the rough trails and mild falls.

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 17:08 Quote
Go buy a torque wrench. You can get smaller ones with an accurate lower range for 50-60 bucks. Proper torque on everything on your bike is crucial - especially if you have a carbon frame. Although the stem is probably OK to guess at, eventually you will want proper torque when it comes to something else.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008522
Mobile Version of Website