Why does everyone hate E-Bikes so much?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Why does everyone hate E-Bikes so much?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 2, 2015 at 12:42 Quote
I don't understande why everyone hates them so much, and I like them, so change my view.

I have been working at an e-Bike shop for about 3 years. We mostly sell commuter bikes, but we are beginning to see a lot more interest in the mountain bike scene, however, as I was looking around on Pinkbike, I saw these two posts (https://www.pinkbike.com/news/opinion-friends-dont-let-friends-ride-e-bikes-2014.html and https://www.pinkbike.com/news/opinion-a-secret-trail-and-the-argument-against-e-bikes-2014.html) which are full of hate for e-Bikes and despite some of the valid points, a lot of it is not correct.

Electric bikes don't destroy trails faster than normal bikes, (at least not lower powered ones, things like the "Stealth Bomber" are exceptions)
Electric Bikes still require skill to use.
Electric Bikes are still exercise.
Electric bikes are NOT even close to as powerful as a trials bike, and a lot of people are fine with them on the trails. (not everyone of course.)
There are other points, but what do you all think?

Also, if I was out on the trail, on my e-Bike, and you saw me, what would you do? If you decided to confront me about it, and I took my battery out, and put it in my backpack (effectively making it non-electric) would you still say it was electric and be confrontational?

Posted: Oct 3, 2015 at 5:16 Quote
Personally, I can't see the point.

I dislike quads, motorbikes and any other form of transport that's not pedal powered being on the trails, dog walkers and horses too.

I don't hate e-bikes per say but I don't get them at all and really don't see why you'd want one on the trails, it defeats the objective.

Posted: Oct 3, 2015 at 9:02 Quote
midgetmiles wrote:
I don't understande why everyone hates them so much, and I like them, so change my view.

I have been working at an e-Bike shop for about 3 years. We mostly sell commuter bikes . . . .

Also, if I was out on the trail, on my e-Bike, and you saw me, what would you do? If you decided to confront me about it, and I took my battery out, and put it in my backpack (effectively making it non-electric) would you still say it was electric and be confrontational?

Based on this, no one's going to change your view, dude. You have what they call, "a vested interest". Not that there's anything wrong with that - it puts food on the table, I guess.

BTW - I also doubt most serious mountain bikers just trying to enjoy their limited time in the woods would bother to be "confrontational" with you and your ride-assist bike. I'm guessing that they would, however, probably think you're simply lazy if they even stop to think of you at all.

Posted: Oct 3, 2015 at 12:47 Quote
Ebikes are for people with dui's, suspended licences, who are lazy, can't afford to own a car......
I have never seen one purchased just for the hell of riding it around. That just sounds like it would be terrible. I would be terrified of those cheap pos falling apart.

Posted: Oct 3, 2015 at 14:24 Quote
Hello! I think this is an interesting post: I own an ebike too and i use it for commuting (and I have to say that's rad in that application) and as a gravity machine.

I can downhill where other people use a van or have a quick ride after work. I have fun going down and going up.
I respect the trails and act in a friendly manner when I encounter other riders.
I have received various type of comments from different kind of riders: ex-mx people that sold the MX and bought a dh or enduro machine are generally friendly. DH/enduro people that never tried MX before thinks "that's cool but probably to heavy when bombing down" while hardcore CX guys tend to be less friendly until i ask them to take a ride on my ebike. If they accept they usually come back with a big smile on their face telling me that my ebike is a cool thing maybe not the bike they are after but that they had a good time riding it and that's not the evil thing they tought before.

I may be partisan but I think that there are only two kind of riders: the ones that respect the trails and the ones that doesn't.
The majority of people that doesn't respect a trail are newbies or people that don't give a f#$%k.
You can't change bad people but you can educate newbies.
The fact that ebikes are perceived as "trail crushers that will have every MTB banned on trails" is probably because in the ebikers group there are more newbies than in every other segment of the MTB world.
The easy solution is to lobby to ban the ebikes on trails but I think the smart one is to educate the ebikers(and the newbies in general).
The person that today is riding an ebike tomorrow may be riding a "pedal only" mtb.

(By the way this winter i'm building a MTB (not electric the classic pedal only thing) because my ebike helped me to comprend that I like to zip around on two wheels and that a proper MTB will be a lot of fun (and pain and sweat... Smile ))

Posted: Oct 4, 2015 at 1:38 Quote
Defeats the object of cycling!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless your old............

Posted: Oct 4, 2015 at 5:08 Quote
I can see the point in E-bikes if you are disabled as it gives people the chance to get out when otherwise they couldn't (martyn ashton for example). For any other reason i cant see the point

Posted: Oct 4, 2015 at 9:13 Quote
Good example, that guy is such an amazing guy!! Soooooo inspirational!!!!!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005412
Mobile Version of Website