2015/16 Rockshox Pike rct3 issues

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
2015/16 Rockshox Pike rct3 issues
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 4, 2015 at 10:38 Quote
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2015 Kona Process 153DL which came with the 160mm Pike rct3 solo air forks. Only it didn't, on closer inspection I realised the forks were sitting at 150mm. This isn't my issue. My issue is when they replaced them on warranty for the 2016 equivalent I had problems from the get go. Before I'd even reached the first decent I noticed the not uncommon top out play that I was familiar with from the previous years Pike range. By the end of the first ride out on them there was a noticeable knocking at the top end of the travel that made the whole front end feel loose, worse than I'd witnessed on any previous models of the Pike. After the first ride!! (20k moorland xc bone dry.) So now my faith in Rockshox and the Pike in particular is completely destroyed and I'm wondering what my options are... Even if I can get a refund on the bike (it's three months old and I've not had it the last month due to various warranty issues) Pike's seem to be on every build going at the moment.

So I'm wondering if this is something others have experienced in the 2016 range and why rockshox have made no effort to resolve this common fault in their new line of products? They're now even worse!

Posted: Oct 4, 2015 at 16:59 Quote
What indicates that it's at 150mm? Did you measure the visible stanchion?

I built several Jekylls at my shop with 160mm Pikes and none of them had any issues.

Posted: Oct 4, 2015 at 23:56 Quote
Yeah I measured them.

Have none of those forks developed any vertical play at the top end? Which year are they?

Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 6:52 Quote
llyrhughes wrote:
Yeah I measured them.

Have none of those forks developed any vertical play at the top end? Which year are they?

2014/15/16. I can't recall ever meeting one that had any problems of any kind. This includes bikes that were brought in for service

Keep pestering SRAM for warranty. They've been good to work with as far as my experiences have gone.

Posted: Oct 5, 2015 at 11:54 Quote
You don't say what pressure you're using.
Have you tried letting out all the air, them pumping it to max pressure, to see if it fully extends?

Posted: Oct 6, 2015 at 2:56 Quote
2014/15/16. I can't recall ever meeting one that had any problems of any kind. This includes bikes that were brought in for service

Keep pestering SRAM for warranty. They've been good to work with as far as my experiences have gone.[/Quote]

You've NEVER experienced ANY problems in three years of Pike's? Every pair of Pike's I've ever picked up have this problem, my LBS said it's down to leaky seals in the lowers. Just to be clear the issue is when you raise you're front wheel off the ground and drop it down again there's vertical play and a knock as the forks drops through the top end of the travel. The travel of the fork is not the issue here and the pressure in the fork makes no odds.

Also worth noting the first replacement set they sent me were dual positions so I had to wait another week while I posted those straight back.

Posted: Oct 6, 2015 at 6:05 Quote
llyrhughes wrote:

Keep pestering SRAM for warranty. They've been good to work with as far as my experiences have gone.

You've NEVER experienced ANY problems in three years of Pike's? Every pair of Pike's I've ever picked up have this problem, my LBS said it's down to leaky seals in the lowers. Just to be clear the issue is when you raise you're front wheel off the ground and drop it down again there's vertical play and a knock as the forks drops through the top end of the travel. The travel of the fork is not the issue here and the pressure in the fork makes no odds.

Also worth noting the first replacement set they sent me were dual positions so I had to wait another week while I posted those straight back.[/Quote]

Weird. I'm suddenly worried I never noticed, because they all seemed to be functioning perfectly fine. What's involved in fixing it, replacing the air spring bits?

Posted: Oct 6, 2015 at 10:04 Quote
I found this, maybe this will help:
http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/air-pike-lowers-psa-929695.html

Posted: Oct 28, 2015 at 14:11 Quote
I feel your pain buddy, I've got 3 2015 Pikes and they all do this, but one worse than the other two. I work in a bike shop myself and every Pike I've ever touched (hundreds) does this, again, some worse than others and some unbearably so.
I returned one as it was driving my crazy on steep climbs. The new one isn't quite as bad...yet.
Generally the dual position Pike isn't as bad as the Solo for knocking, but is a gimmick just like Talas and completely useless for descending.
I've learnt to live with it now... that's the only option really... or switch to fox.

Posted: Oct 29, 2015 at 1:43 Quote
Yeah it's a disaster! So disapointed they havent sorted it out for 2016, the new ones they sent me are the worst i've come across after two of their sram technicians apparently gave them a full check and signed them off as faultless. I'd send them off again but it takes two weeks ever time and they didn't replace them the last time they just say there's nothing wrong with them and send them back.

It's destroyed my faith in rockshox and added to my scepticism of sram now i know their customer service is as sloppy as their products.

Posted: Apr 27, 2016 at 19:48 Quote
I am having the same exact problem. Just bought a 2016 Remedy. At first I thought it was a loose headset. Come to find out, it's the problem as you have described. I haven't event had the bike for 2 months. Maybe a dozen rides on it. That clunking is going to drive me nuts!

Posted: Apr 27, 2016 at 21:02 Quote
I'd totally forgotten that I'd even posted in this thread. But, after buying a used Pike and experiencing a lot of the same things, I feel like I can offer some better insight.

(Long reading alert)

All of the above "problems" are a characteristic of the negative spring design. When the fork is at the very top of its travel, there is a dimple in the stanchion wall that allows the positive and negative springs to equalize. This causes the fork to sit in a sort of "neutral" suspension and makes it extremely easy to both compress and extend in the first 10mm or so of travel. This is the top out play/clunk. It allows for the legendary small-bump sensitivity. When you're riding, it's not even an issue. I've never heard the top out clunk on the trail, but I can easily reproduce it in the garage.

If you do have issues with harsh top outs or clunks, try this: The dimple that equalizes the springs can sometimes get clogged with grease. Without equalizing, the positive will remain overly pressurized at the top of the travel, and this can lead to harsh top-outs and clunking. Alternately the negative can be overly pressurized and suck the fork into its travel. You'll know the pressures aren't equalizing if you let all the air out of the fork and it begins to suck itself down. This shouldn't happen, the fork should stay fully extended when depressurized.

I was able to clear the grease from the port by letting the air out so the fork sucked itself down, removing the air cap and then pulling up hard on the fork several times until I hear the hiss of the air finally equalizing. Then the fork stayed all the way up on its own.

Sometimes I'll see my fork sitting at almost 5% sag when it's parked but the function on the trail is flawless.

Hope this makes sense and helps clear up any problems.

Posted: Apr 27, 2016 at 21:11 Quote
I'm almost done with a bike that's got a 2016 Dual Position Air pike on it, and just stumbled on this thread. Great! Facepalm

Posted: Apr 27, 2016 at 23:45 Quote
I just ordered a brand new mojo hd3 with the pike fork! Madder

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 at 12:48 Quote
There's a quadrillion Pike RCT3s out there with many happy riders, nobody panic. I've ridden a lot of Pikes and never felt such a thing.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013429
Mobile Version of Website